The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-13-2016 07:06 PM
62 123
tools
    Just adding for reference, the Daniel quote from his 950 review on WC today.
    -------------------------------------
    "If you are on the fence and waiting for something better than the Lumia 950 I can say with confidence now that there won't be another high-end Windows phone until late next year. Unless another OEM steps in with an equally spec'd phone, the Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL will be it."
    ------------------------------------
    Unless the "Surface Phone" is not "high-end".
    11-20-2015 12:05 PM
    I'm pretty sure if a Surface Phone ever comes it won't be unveiled until the next October hardware event.
    11-23-2015 11:47 PM
    Well, with Daniel's review of the 950 we can say now that the "Surface Phone" will not be coming until at least late next year.
    Rubino said he's going to write an article with more information from his sources about the intel phone this week. Hopefully that will answer some questions.
    11-24-2015 07:14 PM
    What I'd love to see is an extension of continuum. A phone with an Intel Atom processor that can run W10M when being used as a phone,but when connected to a screen(or maybe even just a keyboard/keyboard dock) runs full W10 with x86 support. Ideally it would be 6" like the 1520. Any smaller would be too small for full W10. Even with 6" UI scaling would be necessary.
    why is everyone so surprised with this idea?

it was done years ago with a fujitsu phone that ran windows 7.
    Horrible Idea Nightmare Phone Runs Windows 7 (Yes, the Desktop OS)

18kzl3377o5rejpg.jpg

yeah it was smaller, and the battery didn't last long... but it was there...
    ---------------------
    Size: 125 61 19.8 mm (19.8 mm at thickest point)
    Weight: 218 g (with battery pack)
    Continuous Standby Time: ~600 hours in FOMA 3G
    Continuous Talk Time:
    ~370 minutes in FOMA 3G voice mode
    ~170 minutes in videophone mode
    Display: ~4" wide SVGA touchscreen (1024 600 resolution)
    Camera: (back side) 5.1 megapixel effective resolution, CMOS sensor
    (inside) 0.32 megapixel effective resolution, CMOS sensor (0.17 megapixel in Windows 7 mode)
    Color: Navy Black

Windows 7 mode

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit Full Version (with SP1)
    CPU: Intel Atom™ Z600 processor (supports HT technology) (1.20GHz)(4)
    Main memory: Comes standard with 1GB/max 1GB (LPDDR400)
    SSD: ~32 GB (eMMC)
    Wireless LAN: IEEE802.11b/g/n (communications speed: up to 65Mbps)(5)
    Windows 7 battery life: ~2 hours(6) in Windows 7 mode

this is not even close to being a new idea.

there was even a dock for it:
    ---------------------------------------
    cradle3.jpg

Unit Description :
    - Docomo F-01 Cradle Docking station
    - This was made and designed to be used with the Fujitsu F-07C LooX
    - Docking station has 4 USB ports and also 1 HDMI port
    - Just place your Fujitsu F-07C into the docking station, then plug in your PC keyboard / mouse / Monitor / headset etc !

s-l500.jpg

later
    Racing Snake likes this.
    11-28-2015 03:24 PM
    why is everyone so surprised with this idea?

it was done years ago with a fujitsu phone that ran windows 7.
    Horrible Idea Nightmare Phone Runs Windows 7 (Yes, the Desktop OS)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18kzl3377o5rejpg.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	117720

yeah it was smaller, and the battery didn't last long... but it was there...
    ---------------------

this is not even close to being a new idea.

there was even a dock for it:

Name:	cradle3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	117721

Unit Description :
    - Docomo F-01 Cradle Docking station
    - This was made and designed to be used with the Fujitsu F-07C LooX
    - Docking station has 4 USB ports and also 1 HDMI port
    - Just place your Fujitsu F-07C into the docking station, then plug in your PC keyboard / mouse / Monitor / headset etc !

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	117722

later
    It's not simply the idea of an x86 device that is exciting. It's the prospect of Microsoft doing it their way. Rubino wrote a great editorial speculating Microsoft's vision for mobile. It's not the prospect of what's already been done that's interesting. It's the prospect of Microsoft driving the future of the mobile space.

The future of Windows Mobile ? Does Microsoft want to reboot the concept of a phone? | Windows Central
    11-30-2015 09:52 PM
    So here's the biggest problem in my mind. If Microsoft wanted an x86 phone to run desktop apps, it wouldn't be able to run Windows 10 Mobile. Windows 10 Mobile's Continuum feature gives you something that resembles a classic desktop, but it's not. None of the desktop / Win32 APIs exist on the phone. Adding those to the phone would also give additional overhead in the OS, and you'd end up with something that was a weird hybrid of the two OSes (Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile) that are supposedly the same OS but aren't actually.

And if you weren't going to enable Win32 apps in Continuum then there's no reason for an Intel Windows Phone to exist. Personally (and I know I'm in the minority here), I just want a Surface Phone with a pen, regardless of whether it's x86 or ARM. Give me OneNote and Surface Pen support (like the 950 XL was originally rumored to have) and I'm ecstatic about the device.
    11-30-2015 10:09 PM
    Anyways.. Do you guys think x86 phone really makes sense in the real world?

I, like many others here dreamt about a true Windows phone for years too, thinking how cool would it be to run desktop programs, even share the same UI, use a real desktop browser and so on.. However in all that years, mobile apps that run on ARM processors became way more powerful and are getting on the same level as if they were desktop programs or sometimes even better and same stands for the OS that is running on it.

I'd rather keep, expand, improve current mobile processors and apps

And this is already happening on all platforms. On Windows Mobile we got Universal Apps and I'd rather see Microsoft push those apps and make them a standard, rather than going back to supporting 32bit classic programs.

I indeed like the idea, but it's just isn't as practical as it might look like..

People would argue how cool that would be, to plug it in a display and run full Windows and stuff.. But really? What for? It's probably going to cost 1K plus to get the same specs as some low to mid PC and after all, you'll require a Screen, keyboard, mouse, all the adapters.. And be like "why don't just get a laptop, tablet" that will always be more powerful no matter what.

And before anyone yells "do you carry a laptop in your pocket", well same goes for "do you carry a display, keyboard and a mouse in your pocket"

You might also get a Windows on a stick that is even more powerful than current phones and will improve by the time Surface phone would get out. It's not like everything else stands still when Microsoft is creating something. Other companies are creating and improving too.

I still like the idea, but it would probably be interesting first few minutes of use. As for real world use and practicality (Laptop) you need even more horsepower.

And after all, who even wants this? Microsoft should research that before they lose even more money, because other than a few Windows users here who does even care.

And for your info, Android is expanding its way to PCs too (hint hint, Universal apps) this is where Microsoft should focus.
    12-02-2015 12:41 AM
    So here's the biggest problem in my mind. If Microsoft wanted an x86 phone to run desktop apps, it wouldn't be able to run Windows 10 Mobile. Windows 10 Mobile's Continuum feature gives you something that resembles a classic desktop, but it's not. None of the desktop / Win32 APIs exist on the phone. Adding those to the phone would also give additional overhead in the OS, and you'd end up with something that was a weird hybrid of the two OSes (Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile) that are supposedly the same OS but aren't actually.

And if you weren't going to enable Win32 apps in Continuum then there's no reason for an Intel Windows Phone to exist. Personally (and I know I'm in the minority here), I just want a Surface Phone with a pen, regardless of whether it's x86 or ARM. Give me OneNote and Surface Pen support (like the 950 XL was originally rumored to have) and I'm ecstatic about the device.
    they could either go, dual chip, which you can choose to go into x86 mode if connected through continuum,
    or just make the device a pure x86 type, and run some kind of vm or emulation for other apps.

depends on who they want to target, the business crowd has different needs.

later
    12-02-2015 01:16 PM
    People would argue how cool that would be, to plug it in a display and run full Windows and stuff.. But really? What for? It's probably going to cost 1K plus to get the same specs as some low to mid PC and after all, you'll require a Screen, keyboard, mouse, all the adapters.. And be like "why don't just get a laptop, tablet" that will always be more powerful no matter what.
    Have you ever bought an iPhone outright though? I did, when I switched to T-Mobile, and my 64GB iPhone 5s cost $849. Most people pay this cost month by month in their contract, but they're still paying for it none-the-less. I'd gladly have paid $150 more for a fully capable pocket Windows machine.

I'm not disagreeing that there are certainly hurdles to overcome, but the current top of the line 128GB iPhone 6s Plus costs $949. Premium phones have never been cheap. When the iPhone was first released it cost $600 with a 2 year contract, when at the time most phones were free with contract. Nonetheless, there is a huge market out there for them.

The Surface has serious "cool" points with virtually everybody I talk to. It is seen as a legitimate premium device, which nearly everyone I talk to aspires to own. This is the time for Microsoft to release a legitimate, next generation smart phone. If they can revolutionize the smart phone industry like they have the tablet industry, they'll have struck gold. I don't think that's going to happen with an ARM processor though.
    Last edited by WildKarrde; 01-19-2016 at 09:25 AM.
    12-07-2015 02:19 PM
    They are working on ARM support for w10 now. Looks like they are moving forward without x86 processors in the mobile "devices". meaning phones.
    01-18-2016 04:26 AM
    Giant step by MS to X86 mobile phones....
    As per Tech World article....

"Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
    Smartphones with Windows 10 Mobile and Intel x86 chips could be around the corner"

"The Windows 10 Mobile OS - popularly known as Windows Phone - can now run on x86 chips, according to a Microsoft Web page. It's the first version of Windows Phone to be compatible with x86.

"The information on the website was confirmed by a Microsoft spokeswoman as being accurate. Up to now, Windows smartphones have only run on ARM-based chips from Qualcomm.?

"Intel had said Atom X3 smartphones would be priced as low as $US75. But the current version of the chip is only 3G capable, which may have caused mobile phone makers to hesitate -- so far, no handset manufacturer has come out with a Windows phone running on the Atom X3. Faster Atom X3 chips with integrated LTE capabilities will be in handsets this year, however."
    -------------------------------

And from article linked Microsoft webpage...
    -------------------------------------
    "Device types supported by Windows

Device type - Phone Supported Windows operating systems
    Definition - A handheld device that combines cellular connectivity, a touch screen, rechargeable power source, and other components into a single chassis.
    Supported processor types - ARM (32-bit) and x86 SoCs Windows 10 Mobile "
    ------------------------------------------
    01-21-2016 11:55 PM
    I suppose the biggest question here is cost... How many souls will it take to have one of these? The 950XL is already expensive at it is... I can't imagine a "Surface Phone" being cheaper then that...
    02-13-2016 07:06 PM
62 123