Lumia phone with better hardware in the future?

Twisted Fate

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am currently looking to buy a new phone and I was thinking about Lumia phones. Budget would be no more than 200-250usd but only phones in that range come with lower end components. Is MS ever going to release a strong medium end phone that doesnt cost you a kidney and doesnt come with low end snapdragon 400?

Something like those awesome for the price china brand android phones (xiaomi redmi note 2, meizu note 2).

Seriously, are they going to release something like that instead of those very similar 640, 730 and 830 phones..

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You call them very similar but those are great midrangers. I would recommend either one. However, if you are waiting for the next midrange, that will be more likely next year. Microsoft has cut back on their production of excessive phones, so there will be one-two phones in each range.

You could just get a 640xl, and it'll probably be enough. At the bare minimum, why not try a 640 and see how you like it?

Twisted Fate

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Because I currently have phone with the same specs but its android and I hate it. My next phone has to be much better, I do not want to get disappointed 3rd time. 2GB RAM minimum (I know WP runs almost perfect even with 1GB but apps tend to take a lot of RAM and I want great multitasking), FHD display decent CPU and GPU.

jwspradlen

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Because I currently have phone with the same specs but its android and I hate it. My next phone has to be much better, I do not want to get disappointed 3rd time. 2GB RAM minimum (I know WP runs almost perfect even with 1GB but apps tend to take a lot of RAM and I want great multitasking), FHD display decent CPU and GPU.

Same specs doesn't mean same quality. You could have an android phone that has 16 megapixel camera and compare it to a Lumia phone with a 16 megapixel camera and have a much better picture with the Lumia.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
You should consider trying to pick up a Lumia 1520. You can easily find them in that price range and the only win phones close enough in specs are the 930, M8 for Windows, and the new 950s

I LOVED my 1520, but I managed to leave it out and my son got ahold of it... And well, I don't have a 1520 anymore. The M8 was a solid phone too, I really liked it

Right now I'm rocking an 830, but it does leave a little to be desired - it's a great device, but it does struggle on occasion. Looking forward to a 950 here soon

Twisted Fate

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Same specs doesn't mean same quality. You could have an android phone that has 16 megapixel camera and compare it to a Lumia phone with a 16 megapixel camera and have a much better picture with the Lumia.
Quality is more or less the same in this price range. I admit though that Lumias tend to produce a bit better images than androids. I just want a lag-free experience.

@idiosyncrasy

Sorry to hear that about your phone :(
Yeah I was looking at those but they cant be found new and I need warranty :D

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I am almost sure that Lumia 650, 750 and 850 would have Snapdragon 410 and 615 processors (processors made on 28 nm LP node manufacturing process making them very throttling and heating ones, are well over 1 year old)
inside them as per price range, processors that have heating issues and not so well graphics performance and only have the advantage of being 64 bit over their 32 bit predecessors.
Next year Android phones are going to contain Snapdragon 415 1.4 Ghz Octa-core( made on 28 nm LP node) Snapdragon 618, 620( which are made on 28 nm HPm process, the same manufacturing node used by previous high end snapdragon 800 series processors till Snapdragon 805) and Android Marshmallow in Mid-range prices varying from 200 US $ to almost 450 US $.
I hope that Microsoft would soon announce support for New SOCs ( Snapdragon 415, 617, 618, 620 as these processors are not still supported by Windows 10 mobile) and would use them in Lumia upcoming mid range Smartphones. But, that's only I can hope. But, if Microsoft would use old Snapdragon 410 and 615 processors in upcoming Lumia 650, 750 and 850, I bet that their performance won't be much better than their 2015 Android counterpart smartphones, let alone 2016 Android counterpart smartphones.
Let's hope for upcoming Lumias with Latest SOCs, I am also trying to buy a new mid range Lumia but the SOCs suck and the quality and design of them is not much better, even Android phones in such price range have better design and quality. Hope, Microsoft is serious about bringing best new designs for Lumias, and significantly improve the build quality of Lumias and their components.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720