The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-04-2017 12:37 PM
188 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Like anything else , it has to have state-of-the-art specs with gorgeous and especially " Unique " look . Apple spend big bucks on designers so that people fall in love with the product . Specs and beauty and uniqueness go hand in hand to make a product a success . So if I were MS , I would engage some Italian designers to produce that unique handset . Also size can Not be less than 5.7 . Maybe 5.8 to set it apart from the rest and at the same time satisfy the majority
    12-04-2015 05:32 PM
    I don't think there we'd have anything special if we just got standard phone with a stylus. Not even a mini 5-6" keyboard will cut it. They really need to take this concept and run with it. A phone that becomes a tablet with improved Continuum would be mind boggling amazing. Nokia has dabbled with folding display tech before so Samsung certainly isn't the only one that knows how to do it. They've also done work on wifi and solar power. If they could get wifi wireless charging tech in the next Surface Pro 5 and Surface Phone, that would be monumental.

http://itechfuture.com/wp-content/up...x276_thumb.png

http://itechfuture.com/wp-content/up...e001_thumb.png
    I was gonna post this also. I hope MS really makes this, like, yesterday. It'll blow everything else out of the water.
    Amano800 likes this.
    12-04-2015 08:18 PM
    SURFACE PHONE - "The Ultimate Phone"

Dear Microsoft,

Quick background. 22 year old computer engineering student. Been using Windows Phone sense HTC HD7.... Day 1 WP user and avid follower.

This is clearly a difficult time in WP's timeline. Market share is very low. Growth is dwindling. Devices are subpar. Employers are fired. CEO probably wants to throw the whole experiment in the dump. So it is fair to say that this is the last chance for Microsoft Phone design. Please, I beg of you, do not dwell on the past. You are Microsoft. You have almost infinite resources to pull from. You guys are smart, creative, and super passionate about Windows Phone.

So in light of your attempts to make a Surface Phone, here are my biased ideas on where you guys should take the design, engineering, and marketing of this product from the perspective of a super WP fan.

We are going to first start with the philosophy behind the Windows Phone. If you guys feel as if you are developing this phone for the sole purpose of making a phone with Surface in front of the name, or making a phone with a stylus, or making a phone for Surface fans, STOP NOW!!! The smartphone market is FLOODED with great devices and equally speced devices. But the ones that shine are the ones who have a clear philosophy about how the company sees people interacting with technology and with each other in the future. There are great devices that no one buys simply because the device is only a device. People don't just buy DEVICES, only us tech people do that. Normal people will only pay big money for an IDEA... a LIFESTYLE... a device in and of itself means nothing... To make a Surface Phone for the sole purpose of making a Surface phone is like having a baby for the sole purpose of having a baby..... if you do not stay up at night thinking about all the great things your child will achieve, spend hours prepareing for how you will develop the child over time, and emotionally prepare for the hardships that will come as the child matures, then you should not be even thinking about having a little girl or a little boy.

But my hunch, knowing Panos to a certain degree, is that you guys are quite stoked about the idea of developing the best mobile device in human history. I have a feeling that you guys are just as disgusted as I am by the design and promotion of the latest Lumia devices, and are working hard to clean that slate. I have a feeling that you guys are actually staying up at night planning the future of this device... imagining it, theorizing scenarios, and prototyping ideas. And if you are doing this, consider this......

Consider a phone that is more than an angry birds gaming engine. Consider a phone that is more than a texting machine. Consider a phone that is more than a casual photo taker. Consider a phone that is more than a music player. Consider a phone that is more than a internet browser. Consider a phone that is more than a phone. What would that look like? Its not about what you can do that Apple and Samsung havn't done. Its about what can you do that will change what we think of a smartphone? What is the future of a computer in a pocket. Don't think about what's out there already, think about what is out there 10 years from now. What will that look like? What is the future of phones? You've showed us the future of PC's with Surface and Hololens. But what is the future of the thing that is in your pocket? MAKE IT, NOW. Its in your hands. No one is doing it. Everyone is just adding more pixels and thinning out their phone.... But no one is changing the world.

Here is how you can change the world..... the Surface Phone should be the phone that replaces pro peripheral devices. That includes microphones, cameras, music playback, trackpads, notepads, motion tracking devices, desktop computers, creative software, development software, office apps...

A phone should in essense replace people's professional cameras, recording devices, work desktops, tracking devices, notepads ect.... while delivering on all of the basic things we expect from smartphones.... angry birds, texting, snapchat, skype, phone calls, ect.... Again, don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Worry about what the future is doing. Because you are the ones to dictate what people will be doing in the future.... The surface phone should be the phone that you take on a trip to do landscape photography, take pictures with it, use a full version of adobe lightroom to edit it, and send it to your clients all on your phone. It should be the phone that you use to sample your guitar playing and finish the song on a display....... It should be the phone that take with you to an interview to take notes on. It should be the phone that you mark up a dissertation with on the train. It should be the phone that you edit 4k video with. The Surface Phone is the Ultimate Phone.... it does everything every smartphone could ever do, but better, and it does everything your pro device could ever do.... It should in essense be the only thing in your backpack along with your Surface Book. You shouldn't need anything else.

Ok so before I list specs, I should note that I am not pressed on you guys using an Intel chip. Intel's mobile chip, while impressive, is still not as versatile as Snapdragon series. Although you are taking a risk with Surface Phone, don't take a risk that will have comprimises. Unless you guys partner with Intel to build a chip that meets THE SAME credientials as the Snapdragon 820, as well as supply Win32 functionality, please stay clear of Intel. Snapdragons are great. And Intels not going anywhere....

Ok specs.... THESE MATTER:

- 4k Screen resolution (by the time the phone is released, this will be on the newest phones) (optimize Windows 10 mobile for this res)

- AMOLED Bezels display. Try to stretch the bezels as far as possible there is no use for them with the strength of Gorilla Glass 4. Produce digital bezels for specific applications.

- Clear black

- Pixelsense (figure out what to do with this, otherwise, don't include it) ..... maybe 3d touch-like functionality would be cool

- Gorilla Glass 4

- CURVED DISPLAY!!!! This is huge as it adds to visual appeal... if this phone is a last chance, its go big or go home

- 5.7-inch display. Don't make 2 devices

- 12mp purview 120-degree wide-angle camera with software OIS (FIX THE POST PROCESSING, Lumia front cameras suck.... processing looks grainy, colors washed out or too vibrant.... please add better depth of field, better color representation, better lens, less cartoonish processing.... the front camera means EVERYTHING for a huge chunk of users. Its not an after though like it is for us techies.... my GF literally wont get a Windows Phone only because of the front camera. Please, I beg of you, FIX THIS. The HTC 8x had a great front camera with only 2mp.... please glean from that one. Also, add a screen flash

- Infrared sensor

- 4 3D Super high quality microphones

- 32MP Camera, Max f/5, ISO 15,000, Shutter speed 1/6000 - 30 second, Metering Range: EV 0.0 - EV 18.0, SUPER FAST AUTO FOCUS, Up to 4 fps at 16 MP for up to 20 frames, Super-fast photo taking, Auto HDR, Live HDR, Triple LED flash Focus flash, RAW

- Video Camera.... 4k, 96fps-23fps (picture within video at 8mp), FHD 240fps-23fps, 720p 360fps-23fps. 5-axis OIS with Software OIS, RAW

- 4 HD front facing Speakers

- Intel+Microsoft collaborated chip AND Snapdragon 820... perhaps you can use both chips to handle different tasks, much like Xbox One

- Wireless charging

- 3600 mA battery

- Surface Phone Pen 2,048 Levels of pressure sensitivity Eraser

- Audio jack

- USB C

- Micro SD Support
    - NFC
    - Bluetooth 4.1
    - MHL 3.0
    - IR LED
    - 4G LTE Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, At&t support. If you dont pull this off, its already over before you start
    - Gesture, Accelerometer, Geo-magnetic, Gyroscope, RGB ambient light, Proximity, Barometer, Hall Sensor, Finger Scanner, UV, HRM
    - Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
    - Pressure sensitivity (steal and innovate upon force touch)
    - NO FANS!!!!!

DESIGN!!!! . My favorite.
    Lumias were beautiful devices. I still love my Lumia 1520, and even though I feel the Lumia 950 was a weak attempt, I still saw a very minimalist device that had a lot of potential. Sort of seemed unfinished. But I love the unibody Polycarp design language. However, the Surface design language is almost completely the reverse. Sharp edges, mag alloy unibody. Crisp form. Because this is a surface phone, I think the wise thing to do is to use the Surface Phone to usher in the next generation of Surface Design language. I always wanted the Surface to have rounder corners. Its a bit too sharp and too inviting. I also wish the Surface devices had a shiny trim as they can seem a bit too boring at times.

For the Surface Phone, I think the best way to go would be a magnesium alloy with a smooth trackpad feel, rounded corners, unibody, shiny metal trim. Its really due for a premium look. Also, make 4 unique colors
    - Surface color (very light matte silver, give it a cool name)
    - Black-ish Grey
    - Navy-Blue
    - Light Green
    This is key in drawing in different types of people. The way you will get the average persons attention isnt by all of the tech and productivity stuff I mentioned earlier. Its by the colors of the phone, the rounded edges, the curved screen, the trim, the minimalism, the feel, the invitingness. The way you keep their attention is with the tech and productivity and functionality. But the way you catch their eye is with the sensory details.
    Please make this phone super thin. Lightness doesnt matter, actually a little weight adds value to the premium feel
    Great design is really a combination of great theft and great creativity. So I would look at Samsung Galaxy Edge, iPhone 6, IPhone 5s for inspiration. These are beautiful devices, and I think a combination of those devices with the Surface design language would be beautiful.
    Before I end, NO CAMERA BUMP PLLEAAASEEE!!! The camera bump ruins the whole point of making a thin phone. It looks like a pimple on a beautiful face And do not put a huge ring around the camera. It looks like a wart I know this is done for camera reflective reasons, but minimize the size and try to implement some software get around with reflection. DESIGN IS CHIEF here. Minimalism is chief here!!! Illuminate everything that isnt essential. Squint, and illuminate more. Get rid of curves that arent needed. Get rid of grooves that are irrelevant. Include only what is necessary.
    Id also like to add that I do not want a removable battery!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!! This is such a waste of good design. You never want people to see whats inside.. Unless you are going to make the inside a beautiful spectacle, keep it simple. Put the micro-sd card slot and the nano sim outside of phone.
    The pen design should be uni-body and only as long as the phone. Try to keep it simple and make it ROUND, not geometric. You want it to slide into the phone at any angle, that will make things easier. It can be polycarb, or a very light metal. But just make it minimal. Dont make it a scene and dont put a huge logo on it. Include an eraser. And make sure that the phone looks invisible when it is docked inside of the phone. You dont want the phone to look like it has a pen. You dont want it to look like a palm pilot. You want it to look like something for everyone, not just business users.
    This phone should be a minimalists dream but it also has to have a slight bit of premium spark. I like the Lumia 830 design A LOT. This is the level of premium minimalism you should shoot for. But metal
    So lets recap design:
    - 5.7-inch CURVED BEZELESS display (super important)
    - 7.5 mm thin
    - Magnesium alloy
    - Uni Body
    - Brushed cold feel
    - White silver, Navy Blue, Light Green, Blackish Gray color options
    - Shiny metal trim
    - Microsoft Logo on back (shiny)
    - Single volume dongle, Power button, Camera button
    - Clean inviting form factor
    - Curved corners
    - Flat back camera (make the device thicker if you have to)
    - Minimalism
    So to conclude the design, please obsess over this. I know that you guys have awesome designers at Microsoft. You guys should really obsess over this design, and pay attention to the smallest of details. Please, aesthetics is EVERYTHING when it comes to phones. You can never overcompensate in another area to make up for bad visual design. The Surface Phone has to be the most beautiful phone ever made. It has to be. If you are not shooting for that goal, then just stop now, please. Its better not to design at all than to shoot for design that is not the best. You have to design for perfection. You just have to.... I know you guys can and will do this.
    Its also quite clear that I have not mentioned anything about a keyboard cover or a kickstand. This is because I dont know if this is even that important. You dont want to give people the impression that Surface just means a device with a keyboard and surface pen. Surface is a philosophy of technology. Its an idea that technology has no boundaries, and that one device shouldnt be limited to what you can do on it and what you can achieve with it. So with the Surface, dont give it a keyboard if you cannot make a realistic keyboard for it. Dont make a kickstand if it will compromise on design and if people really are not going to use it. Remember, no one will even think of the thing you didnt include, but people will think of the thing you DID include all too much if its not useful. So dont put something in there for the heck of it. Everything with the Surface Phone HAS TO BE ESSENTIAL. Im not suggesting that you not do a keyboard and kickstand, I am suggesting that if you do it, do it really well, and PUSH A SPECIFIC USE CASE, and make sure you have great software to back it up, and a great message to back it up. Which leads into the last topic..

Marketing. This phone is not just a phone for business people. I dare you to market it that way, I will lose my mind. There is no such thing as business device. There is no such thing as a business person. There are only people that run businesses. If you cannot attract the person behind the business, you cannot attract what you think is the business person. The only reason business people use your stuff is because THEY HAVE TO. And so youve neglected good marketing and good design because youll get sales regardless. You have to attract PEOPLE, and I know you can do this because Ive seen you do this with Surface. Dont make a bunch of adds with all of these quick scenes of people being super productive. People arent going to spend 500 dollars on something that they can do with their laptop. People spend 500 dollars on something that inspires them, and excites them, that attracts them. Dont have some guy talking in the background about things no one understands like edit 4k videos in continuum mode, transfer files people can figure that out when they get the phone. They dont need a guy talking to them. The trick with a good add has nothing to do with the device. It has everything to do with the people in the device..
    Make an add campaign where REAL PEOPLE are enjoying a moment together, seeing new born grandchild for the first time (REAL PEOPLE, NOT ACTORS). Or a REAL COUPLE looking back at old photos on their Surface Phone. Or a REAL PERSON using the Lumia to take a picture of his son making his first 3 pointers. And then at the end of the scene, show a white screen with the Surface Phone over the screen or The Ultimate Phone and then a Microsoft LOGO afterwards. This is mimimal marketing and you guys really need to embrace it. No one cares for specs and features. Every phone has the same features in the eyes of most people now. And its relatively true. Dont do all of that crap. Just show PEOPLE doing something awesome, or beatiful, or loving, or memorable. Real people, not actors. And give them the phone the phone doesnt even have to star in the ad.. just put it there. The trick is getting people to love a moment, and associating that moment with the phone. Because again, people dont spend money on technology, they spend money on a lifestyle. You have to associate a great lifestyle with a great phone. Not great technology with a phone.. no, great authentic life with great phone..
    Pradeep John and Joe920 like this.
    12-05-2015 03:18 AM
    Supposedly the Snapdragon 830 is going to support 8 gigs of ram ... yeah I know.
    Whoa. The idea of 8gb of RAM on a smartphone seems overkill for our current mobile needs but I can definitely see everyone going there sooner than we think: the Android OEMs will go there because they're locked in a spec war to stave off the price undercutting Chinese who are themselves locked in a race to the bottom, MS will go there because of the needs of Continuum and Apple will get there as well...eventually. Maybe on 2023 to the exaltation of Apple fanboys who'll proclaim Apple did it better because iOS is "optimized" (as if WP isn't), refined the concept (by putting more frosted glass effect on iOS) and brag that everyone gave Apple free market research by going there first.

Perhaps use this:
    Future Smartphone Screens will use very less power - google (need more posts to post links ... sorry)
    There are alot of exciting screen tech out there. Unfortunately, they aren't ready for prime time quite yet. For the foreseeable future, I'd like to see MS experiment with Sharp's IGZO tech since it seems like a more advanced and more power economical display than AMOLED.

And this
    5 future battery technologies to make your phone last longer and charge faster
    Or perhaps R&D a next gen battery themselves i.e.
    5000mah batteries smartphone are actually not a pie-in-the-sky thing anymore. Alot of no name Chinese OEMs are rocking it in very thin 5in phones like the THL 5000. Even Lenovo features such a massive battery in their Vibe P1. That's because they've already made the move from Li-Ion to Li-Po batteries. Everyone else though (for some reason) are still dragging their feet.

That said, I'm highly intrigued by a battery tech I read about some time ago. It was apparently discovered by a Chinese University (Tsinghua, I think) and made of Aluminum-ion. Apparently, this is the key to unlocking hyperfast charging - as in 1 to 2 minutes for a full charge as opposed to 1 to 2 hours - and longer battery endurance/shelf life.
    UniverseWolf likes this.
    12-05-2015 04:19 AM
    I just realized, if Panos Panay and any member of the Surface team is actually looking at this thread, they should leave now. Some of the demands we've made (myself included) would probably give them a nervous breakdown.
    12-05-2015 06:07 AM
    I would like to see it have:

• Surface dock connector, so I can use the docks I already have at work and at home.
    • A new surface dock (that works with all devices in the surface lineup) with a discrete GPU, just like in the base of the Surface Book (or the Alienware Graphics Amplifier). (If RAM can also be dynamically added to Windows 10, having that in the dock would be a plus.)
    • Intel processor able to run any windows desktop app, at least while connected to a dock (so could rely on extra processing in the dock).
    • Relatively small size, I want it to fit in a pocket. Preferably no bigger than the Lumia 950, but I'll take what I can get.
    • Removable battery (being able to swap battery without powering down if connected to a charger would be awesome).
    • Laptop accessory, like the Motorola Atrix, for the times I need to travel outside the home/office.
    • A physical keyboard, like a BlackBerry (or at least like the Xbox Chatpad), but I know this one is a pipe dream.
    • A flagship camera (no worse than the competiton)
    • Dual-SIM variant.
    Last edited by ayngling; 12-05-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    12-05-2015 09:43 AM
    SURFACE PHONE - "The Ultimate Phone"

Dear Microsoft,
    Holy massive wall of text.
    Alfa Kapa likes this.
    12-05-2015 01:57 PM
    Seems to be a mono-mania in this forum about having 6" phones. I guess if you want Microsoft to finally quit mobile for good, releasing a 6" Surface Phone will do the trick.
    ByeVanno likes this.
    12-05-2015 03:17 PM
    Seems to be a mono-mania in this forum about having 6" phones. I guess if you want Microsoft to finally quit mobile for good, releasing a 6" Surface Phone will do the trick.
    That's because any Lumia 1520 user knows that if you cut down the bezels on a 6in screen to near nothing you end up with a phone that's smaller and handier than you may think. Also, like it or not, phablets are all the rage. People mostly use their smartphones for media consumption, apart from apps, hence a bigger screen with more breathing room is far more ideal.
    Teaching Erik likes this.
    12-05-2015 07:01 PM
    I'd like to throw a curve ball in this thread. How do you think Microsoft should position the Surface/Panos phone in its lineup?

Personally, I think Microsoft should imitate Ferrari's business model where they have three cars they regularly sell: 488 GTB (low end), FF (mid range) and F12 Berlinetta (flagship) then every now and then make a super special edition unicorn that acts as the halo for the entire brand (288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, LaFerrari). However I don't think Microsoft should wait as long as Ferrari does (a decade) to release that unicorn. Instead, I could see the Surface/Panos phone coming out every year but in limited quantities to act as both a halo phone for the rest of the range and as a design reference. If they did that I think it MS could generate the sort of frenzied buying spree for the phone as when Apple launches a new iPhone.
    12-05-2015 07:11 PM
    Also, like it or not, phablets are all the rage. People mostly use their smartphones for media consumption, apart from apps, hence a bigger screen with more breathing room is far more ideal.
    Umm, no. The most popular screen size around the world is 4.7 inch. Apple is coming out with a new 4 incher in the spring. One-fifth of shoppers said they would prefer a 4-inch phone. Some wonder why Apple is so dominant and I would argue that one reason is they haven't abandoned the most popular phone sizes, as have so many companies.
    Last edited by Ten Four; 12-05-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    ayngling likes this.
    12-05-2015 07:23 PM
    Umm, no. The most popular screen size around the world is 4.7 inch. Apple is coming out with a new 4 incher in the spring. One-fifth of shoppers said they would prefer a 4-inch phone. Some wonder why Apple is so dominant and I would argue that one reason is they haven't abandoned the most popular phone sizes, as have so many companies.
    Funny the HTC One X and HTC One both had 4.7 inch screens and both sold like ****. The iPhone is dominant simply because of the Apple logo on the back. Also, are you honestly telling us MS should copy Apple? They tried doing that during the Ballmer era and look what happened.
    12-05-2015 07:45 PM
    Also, are you honestly telling us MS should copy Apple? They tried doing that during the Ballmer era and look what happened.
    Size has nothing to do with copying. If that were the case then going big and bigger means they are just copying Android makers. It's just a basic design choice, but from there you can do a lot of different things. For example, I would argue that if you have Continuum you don't need a big phone. Optimize the phone for the mobile experience, then when you need a bigger screen plug it in and use a real monitor and keyboard. If MS wants to make an enterprise phone they need to make it a "mobile" phone. Nobody is using their phones in business for media consumption, unless they're slacking. They are all working on at least laptops and often on desktops with additional monitors. It would be silly to try to use your phone for that. When you do use your phone it is to stay in touch, answer important messages, manage appointments, etc. Sure, there may be special use business scenarios where large phones make sense, but I have yet to see them used that way and I just spent two weeks on the road going to conferences, meeting with people, visiting clients, etc. Whenever any real work needed to get done out came the laptops, which we all had in our briefcases. However, I was using my phone constantly, often in one hand, to call people, text appointments, check the calendar, check flights, find a map, get directions, etc. A phablet would have been useless in that scenario. Keep the Surface Phone a mobile phone!
    ayngling likes this.
    12-05-2015 08:10 PM
    Make the casing out of osmium to give it some weight. Or better yet get rid of the case. Make a clear phone that allows reality augmentation like the holo-lens.
    I love the weight of my 920... but LOL. Os at ~$380/oz and practically impossible to fab on a mass production scale.
    12-05-2015 10:56 PM
    I really like this concept folder to become a Surface tablet. It'd be a game changer. Have a dock with a discrete cpu and detachable big screen for Miracasting Continuum and these would sell like hotcakes.
    Wow, that is one of the best concept devices I've seen in ages. Tired of those stupid ones that simply make a metal rectangle and say it's a design for a Surface Phone. God forbid Microsoft just makes a metal Lumia and calls it a day. Not to knock the Lumia line though, I have a 925 and would get a 950XL if I had the cash. I just think that the so-called Surface Phone needs to be a game-changer, it needs to create a new category and then dominate it. Their motto needs to be, "If you can't beat 'em, change the rules." I have a first gen Surface Pro, and it's flawed as hell, but it's the best device I've ever owned and has been a fantastic computer for university. Sure it took them a few generations to really get market saturation, but now I see Surface (Pro) 3's very frequently around campus, and even Apple is trying to catch up and compete with that joke of an iPad Pro. If they can bring that same spirit and ingenuity to this device, I think they stand a real good chance at getting a foothold in the mobile market. But only if they change the rules, creating a new category and making it an unfair fight in their advantage. If they continue to release devices that are simply "me too!" phones, their current standing will never change, because as good as the 950 line is, it's more or less equivalent to the competition's flagships, and we don't need equivalent, we need better.
    12-05-2015 11:04 PM
    In terms of materials, why does it have to be metal? How about some premium type of composite with carbon fiber? Metal and glass is really silly on a phone when you want something that is light, strong, can survive drops, doesn't block the signal, feels comfortable to hold, etc. Metal phones are about style--not substance.
    12-06-2015 09:33 AM
    I agree since iPhones have poor antenna performance because they're made of aluminum.In my opinion polycarbonate Is light and reasonably strong. And my question is why Microsoft doesn't make a polycarbonate bodied surface which might bring the cost down and we might see cheap surface tablets. I mean aluminum is useless for a phone material in terms of chassis production.😒
    12-06-2015 09:40 AM
    In terms of materials, why does it have to be metal? How about some premium type of composite with carbon fiber? Metal and glass is really silly on a phone when you want something that is light, strong, can survive drops, doesn't block the signal, feels comfortable to hold, etc. Metal phones are about style--not substance.
    Carbon Fiber is still prohibitively expensive. Magnesium, oth, is relatively cheaper. It is also lighter and more durable than aluminum.

Also to most smartphone buyers, esp thanks to the annual upgrade cycle we have all gotten used to, style is about as substantial as it gets. Why bother with a phone than can survive a nuclear war when a newer, faster, better one with more pixels, less bezels and quicker fingerprint scanner is just around the corner?
    12-07-2015 04:41 AM
    I agree since iPhones have poor antenna performance because they're made of aluminum.In my opinion polycarbonate Is light and reasonably strong. And my question is why Microsoft doesn't make a polycarbonate bodied surface which might bring the cost down and we might see cheap surface tablets. I mean aluminum is useless for a phone material in terms of chassis production.
    It took the magnesium bodied surface tablets several generations to become the legitimately desired and sales behemoth device it is now. Had they made it out of polycarbonate, it would never have happened.
    12-07-2015 04:51 AM
    Zero blue screens
    12-07-2015 12:50 PM
    The Lumia 1520 has to-date been my most favorite device. I can assure you that I'm not the only person out there that feels the same way.
    Aldrich Uyliong and missylob like this.
    12-07-2015 04:05 PM
    The Lumia 1520 has to-date been my most favorite device. I can assure you that I'm not the only person out there that feels the same way.
    I'm with you on that. I'm only 5'5. I'm not large by any means but she is handier than one expects.
    12-07-2015 10:22 PM
    That's exactly what I've been wanting.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    12-07-2015 11:41 PM
    6" Surface Phone with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, not the mobile phone OS. If you think about it, the phone and messaging app already exists in desktop Win 10! Plus Windows 10 Pro runs on every screen size(?) (correct me if I'm wrong).. I'm sure they'll just tweak the tablet mode to make it fit a phone's screen. Design wise, I would like it to look like the top part of the Surface Book.
    12-07-2015 11:51 PM
    This thread has been awe-inspiring. Note: awe-inspiring is not necessarily a good thing.

The degree of unrealistic fantasizing that's going on is amazing.

I'm just going to say:

• 5.7-inch screen
    • digitizer pen (my Note 3 has it, full digitizer with pressure sensitivity)
    • 5000mAH battery (this forces a certain minimum thickness which I'm ok with; phones are anorexically thin for no good reason these days)
    • powerful processor (Snapdragon 820 or its successor)
    • Windows 10 Mobile with modest common sense UI improvements (not, specifically NOT x86 compatibility--why would you want the baggage, bloat and vulnerabilites of x86 Windows)
    • rugged design. Can survive drops. Weather-resistant (doesn't have to be fully waterproof).
    • Minimize the "minimalism". Have a hardware Home/Windows button and while you're at it, hardware "back" and "search" buttons; use the wasted screen real estate taken by the current soft buttons for actual screen display. Keep the dedicated camera button.
    • Powerful reception (it's supposed to be a PHONE)
    • This is outside of "Surface Phone" but work on, bribe, buy-out software developers to shrink the app gap.
    • Keep price reasonable. Microsoft needs to improve market share. Unlike a startup, they have the cash to buy marketshare. Imagine, if I can, just once in this thread, fantasize: a Surface phone for $399. Yes, Microsoft will lose lots of money on each phone. But users aren't going to simply abandon Android and Apple phones for any amount of techie or gizmo-related reasons. Cell phones are commodity items now. You have to compete with price.

That's about it. The 950XL is close to a great phone. Just improve a few things to make it truly great and people will come.
    12-08-2015 02:25 AM
188 ... 23456 ...