The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-04-2017 12:37 PM
188 ... 45678
tools
    Many here seems to just want a metal body Phone with crazy specs, resolutions etc. Others are thinking in the more Surface brand way which I think will be the case.
    Surface Pro is not just a tablet
    Surface Book is not just a laptop.
    A "Surface Phone" won't be just a Phone, it must be also something else. Just look at what MS say about the Surface line. Its a reference, it will challenge, it will be expensive, and it will have the specs.. So it can not just be a Phone as we know it.
    I actually hope they don't call i Surface Phone either. Calling is almost the least thing I do with my 950.
    I have no idea what that could be, but I think I want it :-). I love my SP4.
    A type cover thing would be nice (removeable), maybe inside could be a second screen, that you easily can take notes on (the left side screen on the cover thing) and the ordinary screen shows the tiles as it is today. Maybe a kickstand, the second screen can also be a touch keyboard. I just hope I will be surprised.
    Last edited by DjeTe; 02-29-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    Vittorio Vaselli likes this.
    02-28-2016 03:34 AM
    The specs clearly need to be top of the line. I doubt anyone would disagree there. No need for gimmicky new features, and no need for a 4k screen, better battery life is more important.

In my mind, there are two musts beyond specs:
    1. It must include a stylus, that is housed within the phone like Samsung's note. If you've ever used, you know it adds a tremendous amount of functionality, and is so much more convenient if you can keep it in the phone
    2. It must run x86 applications otherwise it's just another phone.
    02-28-2016 10:02 PM
    This is what I would like to see

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails microsoft_surface_phone_render_concept_01a-970x647-c-1.jpg  
    03-07-2016 12:34 PM
    Many here seems to just want a metal body Phone with crazy specs, resolutions etc. Others are thinking in the more Surface brand way which I think will be the case.
    Surface Pro is not just a tablet
    Surface Book is not just a laptop.
    A "Surface Phone" won't be just a Phone, it must be also something else. Just look at what MS say about the Surface line. Its a reference, it will challenge, it will be expensive, and it will have the specs.. So it can not just be a Phone as we know it.
    I actually hope they don't call i Surface Phone either. Calling is almost the least thing I do with my 950.
    I have no idea what that could be, but I think I want it :-). I love my SP4.
    A type cover thing would be nice (removeable), maybe inside could be a second screen, that you easily can take notes on (the left side screen on the cover thing) and the ordinary screen shows the tiles as it is today. Maybe a kickstand, the second screen can also be a touch keyboard. I just hope I will be surprised.
    Totally agree, and i hope you are right!
    03-08-2016 05:12 AM
    If the Surface is a good as they claim it will be, I probably will move to it for my next phone. Coming from a Note 4, I would like to see a pen but not a deal breaker but I will not be upgrading till 5G. Always hate buying new when new technology is coming out. Like the idea of a Surface as a phone, So some of my main dream phone wants are 5.6 to 5.8 screen with minimum 1080p but new premium phones are already hitting 4k in 2016, 5G, pen, the ability to go back and forth between the Surface tablet, desktop and phone with same apps, and very important to me is the camera. and enough processing power and ram to handle it. SD slot and replaceable battery
    03-15-2016 05:41 AM
    I want the Surface Phone to hopefully be the same size or slight larger in dimensions as the Lumia 950 XL.
    FXi2 likes this.
    03-18-2016 12:01 AM
    I would like to see a phone with a detachable physical keyboard(surfacebook like) with extra battery. Or a tablet/laptop dock like asus padphone. Or a projector (for Continuum). Or hololens enabled, with spacial mapping. In short something that is really different from "always the same" other phones on the market.
    sicunder36 likes this.
    03-23-2016 04:32 AM
    I'd like a Surface team designed phone. And i'm not delusional enough to think that I can come up with a better set of specs or design than they can.

My two wishes:

1.) Sell it unlocked
    2.) Sell it this year, please.
    dgrn23 likes this.
    03-23-2016 12:07 PM
    Not a metal body fan, as I like removable batteries. 950xl with finger reader in the screen, bit more durable magnesium in the structure, 820 chipset, clip on battery slice back as accessory, rare earth magnet speakers, sdxc of course, and a 3yr warranty just because they know it's built that well.
    okizen likes this.
    03-24-2016 12:01 AM
    I think an important aspect tied to the Surface phone concept has been running the legacy x86 apps. With no support from Intel, perhaps take this approach:
    1. Most powerful ARM processor available.
    2. Have an emulation layer that enables the phone to run all legacy x86 apps. The current Windows 10 mobile apps etc. should continue to run natively.
    3. Have good battery life.

The second point is the most important one if Microsoft wants to differentiate its mobile technology from Android/IOS etc.

Amjad.
    06-02-2016 01:13 AM
    I want the Surface Phone to exist and to come out either October '16 or April '17. I just hope if I wait for it and don't pursue the HP Elite x3 that I will not be disappointed that I waited.
    06-03-2016 07:01 AM
    Agreed. I'm hoping it isn't as big as the Elite X3 as well. Love my Surface Pro, and if the phone is as well made as it is I will be a happy guy.
    finalrelief likes this.
    06-03-2016 11:51 AM
    October '16 or April '17
    Those dates seem rather arbitrary. Any particular reason?
    finalrelief likes this.
    06-17-2016 08:09 AM
    October since the last flagship(s) came out in October, I like annual releases. April because isn't that when redstone 2 comes out and the surface pro 5 was rumored to be delayed?
    06-17-2016 09:30 AM
    Surfaces always presented in october or april
    06-19-2016 02:45 AM
    Mmm.. know what?
    I guess THIS is what i'd like to see.
    (dont get too excited, not a leak, just a quick photoshop that i made)..

surfphone.jpg

No need for a mini surface, that would appear clumsy an over accessorized...
    IMHO, hat windows 10 needs is a premium sleek cool phone, a good partner for the Surface family.
    Many iphone users I know admitted the potential of WP/W10 mobile OS, but can't stand buying a WP just for a design matter.
    930 is the phone which got closer to that (aluminium, thin bezels) but it was a little too bulky, and with poor aluminum finishes (except for black).

Anyway, let's see what Panos team will give us!
    In the meantime, if you like what i like, RT this
    06-26-2016 04:12 AM
    Actually I hope they make a phone that supports "mods" like the Moto Mods on the Moto X. Click a bigger battery on it, more advanced camera module/lensen or swap it out with stereo speakers. Maybe allow it to magnetically fit into a tablet like the Asus Padfone. Or what about a physical "slide out" keyboard? That would be a lot of fun and makes the phone very personal as well.

Crazy thought I know, but it would make the phone pretty versatile in my usage...
    07-01-2016 03:00 AM
    I'm not even expecting a SP to run x86 applications, i would be happy with a dock with an internal processor that can do that and power it to an external display.

As far as specs i would like to see (reasonable request):
    • 6.0" AMOLED display
    • 256GB internal with expandable storage
    • Micro SD card expansion
    • Kickstand with infinite positions i.e. SP3/4
    • Pen support with internal pen possible (Note series...)
    • Optional flip cover with keyboard or accessory for bluetooth mini keyboard
    • USB-C w/ quick charge
    • High end camera, a 950 type camera would do just fine
    • front firing speakers with surround sound
    • 6GB RAM or more
    • Keep the dedicated camera button
    • button layout similar to 950 not XL
    • Magnesium unibody contruction to line up with all other Surfaces -duh
    • 1440P display, isn't that enough, you cant see the pixels anyways why sacrifice battery life for 4K or 5K displays?
    • a price tag of $999.00 or under

I think this seems reasonable, no?
    okizen likes this.
    07-02-2016 10:29 AM
    Here's mine:

6 inches
    2k resolution
    Clearblack
    4500 mAh battery
    64-bit OS
    6-8Gb RAM
    64-128 Gb Storage
    Expandable storage up to 2Tb
    Solo-Dual SIM
    20MP f/1.4
    Bluetooth 5.0
    Strong WiFi
    LTE
    NFC
    Iris scanner
    Fingerprint scanner
    12MP front-facing camera f/1.8
    Front-facing stereo speakers
    landscape start screen
    tiny bezels
    USB C
    dedicated camera button
    provision for wrist strap
    07-04-2016 11:23 AM
    The 2 guys above me, why 6GB RAM? The 640 runs comfortably with 1GB and my old 1020 used to run really well with 2GB. Is there anything that the 950 cannot do with 3GB? Asking for RAM at levels higher than laptops is over the top in my opinion.
    3GB RAM is great, 4GB will be future proofing for the next 3 years.

The next surface device needs that something special that no other device can do or hasn't thought of doing. Putting in 6GB like some android phone isn't new. Putting intel processors will not work as they are not efficient enough for mobile devices. High internal memory just adds a lot of cost to the final price. There can be options starting from 32GB. Anything more can be done by sd card.

What is that something special? We don't know just like we didn't know when the surface book came out. Definitely continuum is part of the story
    sahib lopez likes this.
    07-09-2016 09:18 AM
    I was just curious reading the "news" about surface phone from other "tech sites". They claim that the bottom version of it will have Snapdragon 821 and 6gb ram and the other one would run on atom, just funny how they can post it without any arguments
    07-21-2016 09:39 AM
    The reason the iphone doesnt have QI wireless charging is because its an all metal phone...if people want that so bad with the surface phone i think they are going to sacrifice QI charging. I'd rather have QI charging than a metal unibody contrsuction. What about you?

They could do something like the Galaxy series with a glass back and metal side construction, that would be fine i guess. But all in all i really love the 950 XL design i really think its the best Lumia that has ever come out. I love love love the MOZO cases and the fact that i can change my phones apparence without adding the bulk of a case. AND QI, removable battery, expandable storage, easily replaceable shell once it gets damage...all make it superior to the Galaxy or iphone lines IMO. A Surface Phone like that would be just fine with me.
    07-23-2016 05:03 PM
    Hey guys its me again, enhanced a little bit my project, what do you think?

microsoft-surface-phone-3.jpg

https://www.behance.net/gallery/4099...-Surface-Phone
    Last edited by Guilherme Roussin; 07-24-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    07-24-2016 09:45 PM
    The 2 guys above me, why 6GB RAM? The 640 runs comfortably with 1GB and my old 1020 used to run really well with 2GB. Is there anything that the 950 cannot do with 3GB? Asking for RAM at levels higher than laptops is over the top in my opinion.
    3GB RAM is great, 4GB will be future proofing for the next 3 years.

The next surface device needs that something special that no other device can do or hasn't thought of doing. Putting in 6GB like some android phone isn't new. Putting intel processors will not work as they are not efficient enough for mobile devices. High internal memory just adds a lot of cost to the final price. There can be options starting from 32GB. Anything more can be done by sd card.

What is that something special? We don't know just like we didn't know when the surface book came out. Definitely continuum is part of the story
    Yes...Continuum. After having a few tabs open in Edge, messaging, and a few apps in the background, the phone slows down to a crawl and becomes very hot. RAM at these levels would help that and give you a nice buffer to open many programs if you're running Conintuum. Also future proofing for more intensive apps/VR.

Same with my Surface Book. There is no good reason i need more than 8 GB of RAM i can get close to 6 but that is about it. So why did i get 16 GB? Peace of mind & Future proofing. I plan on using this thing well into 2020. If my old laptop (2009 dell inspiron) and old desktop (2008 dell xps 430) are any indicator then the SB should last me 10 years give or take.
    07-25-2016 06:46 AM
    Yes...Continuum. After having a few tabs open in Edge, messaging, and a few apps in the background, the phone slows down to a crawl and becomes very hot. RAM at these levels would help that and give you a nice buffer to open many programs if you're running Conintuum. Also future proofing for more intensive apps/VR.

Same with my Surface Book. There is no good reason i need more than 8 GB of RAM i can get close to 6 but that is about it. So why did i get 16 GB? Peace of mind & Future proofing. I plan on using this thing well into 2020. If my old laptop (2009 dell inspiron) and old desktop (2008 dell xps 430) are any indicator then the SB should last me 10 years give or take.
    I've read on the issue of the phone overheating when using continuum and in very same thread other users have the opposite experience - one that has smooth cool operations

So it's more of optimising the way it works with current devices and getting it right for all users

I read a forum where people asked how the x3 behaves with continuum - specifically about heat - the person answering said there was no heating issue - an indication of something, right?
    sahib lopez likes this.
    07-25-2016 07:38 AM
188 ... 45678