04-04-2017 12:37 PM
188 ... 5678
tools
    Hey guys its me again, enhanced a little bit my project, what do you think?

Attachment 128817

https://www.behance.net/gallery/4099...-Surface-Phone
    Looks quite good to me but I can bet it won't look like that - too much alike Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book. If it comes in that shape I will be disappointed a bit, because tha would mean that designers lazy :P
    07-25-2016 04:15 PM
    Looks quite good to me but I can bet it won't look like that - too much alike Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book. If it comes in that shape I will be disappointed a bit, because tha would mean that designers lazy :P
    Really? I thought that keeping a signature of other products would appeal to all the fan-boys and people who are accustomed to the line of Microsoft Hardware. Just like cars of a particular brand, each one has a signature and a pattern of its manufacturers from which you can guess the brand without even knowing what it is. Can you imagine this concept in metal body, cold and curved sides comfortably adjusting the hands as well as the iPhone 6 that took all its generations to finally release something not square, which is what Microsoft has been doing mistakenly.
    07-25-2016 08:56 PM
    I'm thinking the camera needs to be in the vertical axis of the phone, not near a corner
    07-26-2016 01:41 AM
    I think that fingerprint reader on a phone is a must have today. Maybe you can insert it on the rear on top of the Windows logo
    07-26-2016 03:50 AM
    I think that fingerprint reader on a phone is a must have today. Maybe you can insert it on the rear on top of the Windows logo
    Fingerprint reader is probably a lot more popular nowadays, but I personally would be more excited to use iris scanner, just because it's something different.
    dgrn23 likes this.
    07-26-2016 04:22 AM
    Fingerprint reader is probably a lot more popular nowadays, but I personally would be more excited to use iris scanner, just because it's something different.
    But it's something different that doesn't work very well...
    07-26-2016 09:11 AM
    I'm thinking the camera needs to be in the vertical axis of the phone, not near a corner
    microsoft-surface-phone-middle.jpg

Like this? But the Logo does not seem to be in the middle anymore, the camera is getting all the attention, also think about the cases, the camera in the corner lets a better space for a good art
    Last edited by Guilherme Roussin; 07-26-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-26-2016 10:45 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Microsoft Surface Phone middle.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	128860

Like this? But the Logo does not seem to be in the middle anymore, the camera is getting all the attention, also think about the cases, the camera in the corner lets a better space for a good art
    true but from what I've seen, Nokia mostly had the camera in the middle or vertical axis. Most smartphones today keep the camera in the corner but Lumias or windows devices keep it centred thus making them different
    07-27-2016 02:27 AM
    true but from what I've seen, Nokia mostly had the camera in the middle or vertical axis. Most smartphones today keep the camera in the corner but Lumias or windows devices keep it centred thus making them different
    You are right! I talked about signature and forgot about this detail
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-27-2016 09:01 PM
    I think that the Surface phone needs to be recognizable immediately, both up close and from a distance. I really like the yellow option, would be something to get people talking.
    08-02-2016 08:09 PM
    I think that the Surface phone needs to be recognizable immediately, both up close and from a distance. I really like the yellow option, would be something to get people talking.
    I think that MS logo on the back would make it recognizable enough. It could also be recognizable by the camera bump if it will have it xD
    08-04-2016 04:15 AM
    What about white and stainless steel? or all stainless.
    Similar to E71, noone has that design, except the X3 is close. Seriously the E71 was really nice looking, it would be even better if it was all stainless. though more of a challenge.nokia-e71-01.jpg
    Guilherme Roussin likes this.
    08-15-2016 03:56 PM
    more than the specs, i think it is the need of innovation, where can microsoft take it further, that needs to be the answer. what surface line of product did with pc's, the phone should do that, but that is my opinion, and until then all we can do is speculate and hopefully Panos and team will not disappoint
    08-24-2016 11:36 PM
    i really don't see how in the time of very responsive multi touch screens, adding a small keyboard would make a difference in typing and adding a kickstand would only increase in the width of the phone, ergonomically it would be the worst design for a phone when every phone is shunting even the headphone jack for usb-c to reduce the thickness.
    08-24-2016 11:45 PM
    I'm betting that they are going to use features from Nokia McLaren at some point.
    08-25-2016 08:07 AM
    I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I would like to see it made waterproof. Samsung can do it, Microsoft should be able to as well.
    08-26-2016 07:52 AM
    yeah even iphone 7 is supposedly waterproofed, HP did it with elite x3, and it makes it so much more convenient, especially in rainy days, i mean you dont have to worry about your phone atleast
    08-27-2016 03:33 AM
    i really don't see how in the time of very responsive multi touch screens, adding a small keyboard would make a difference in typing and adding a kickstand would only increase in the width of the phone, ergonomically it would be the worst design for a phone when every phone is shunting even the headphone jack for usb-c to reduce the thickness.
    Every fan concept render has just been miniaturizing a Surface and putting a keyboard on it. If that's what Panos was going to do, we'd have it by now. My bet is on phone with Surface styling, that in Continuim is actually a real full PC.
    08-27-2016 01:28 PM
    yeah, i think it will run full pc on continuum
    08-28-2016 01:57 AM
    I love my S7 Edge, always have loved my Samsung Galaxy devices and Android as a whole. But am Windows 10 disciple. Here's the thing where they can hurt Google:

- No straying from the core OS. Period. If they allow multiple OEMs to develop for them (rather than just like Nokia in the past) - no cutesy add-on bloatware. Always been Google Achilles heel.

- Updates to OS across carriers at same time. I think this is how they did it before, right? And is how Apple always has.

- true multitasking of apps.

- Full-screen, edge to edge display of applications. Just like on PC.

- UNIQUE design of phone. I think the "foldable" design some folks are calling for is still a ways off and any attempt would come off as 1/2 baked in a first run with new OS. Probably a 5.7" Note/Surface hybrid form factor.

Something extremely thin and powerful (like the PC), but with an optional ADD-ON keyboard?
    09-01-2016 11:36 PM
    I am not a huge tech person but I depend on my phone to do my job everyday. I have been using the 950XL for 11 months now, I personally thought it is the perfect phone for business use. Two features I would very much look for in the new line of phones are dual sim and removable battery. Both are luxury's the competition does not offer.
    10-22-2016 09:57 PM
    So, as of today's HW keynote by MS, we now have:

- Surface Book (2in1, but more notebook than tablet)
    - Surface Pro (2in1, but more tablet than notebook)
    - Surface Studio (AIO computer)
    - Xbox and the rest of HW

It's about time we get a proper Surface Phone on next event, which will live up to showed design/technology standards.
    I wanted to share my wishes about a Phone, but I waited to sort my thoughts, so I don't post a useless crappy ideas
    So let me go wild !
    Note: Yes, I took the note "W10M focused on enterprise" into consideration.

<visionary-rant>

Recently I saw that Xiaomi released Mi MIX phone phone (China only though).
    Which brings me to first point I would love to see:
    1) phone with as thin bezels as possible, while expanding display all over the Phone, except space on upper end for front camera and sensors;

Such movement would mean to dismiss Home/Back/Search buttons... but why not ? Jolla achieved that
    2) swipe-powered phone - swipe down>up for Home, left>right Background apps, right>left Search (better yet, incorporate it inside W10M);

Of course, that would mean a wide redesign of speakers placement, microphone, charger port,...
    3a) speakers to be placed on top and bottom back side of Phone, 3,5 mm jack on top, MIC remains on bottom side with USB-C charging port;
    3b) 2 slots for nano-SIM and separate slot for SD card on side of the Phone;

Yes, it would also mean that we have to give up on biometry... or not ?
    4) fingerprint area active on display while Phone is off, eventually improved iris scanner in front camera (fallback as always to PIN/gesture);

Yes, but display will be very big, so we have to add proper resolution...
    5) 1080x1920 will be fully suitable, let's leave hunting for 4K displays to rest of industry, even if it looks bad on paper and in ads;

... and it will draw a lot of power !
    6) ... which is why 3000-3500 mAh battery should be standard in the Phone;

What about casing and build feel of the Phone ?
    7) Either high-quality alluminium, or magnesium alloy, crafted as a single piece with very minor transitions used for separating antennas;
    Note: Let's be clear here: no way you can build phone as single metal piece without problems with antennas. Or prove me wrong.

Camera stuff ?
    8) 8-12 Mpx with OIS, big pixels for night shooting and proper LED flash;

Such phone will look bulky, right ?
    9) Yes, but I consider anything up to 10 mm sort of "normal thickness" - you want enterprise phone, not fashion accessory, right ?;

And very expensive...
    10) of course, price shall be appropiate for such phone - but I would pay for it anywhere close to 800 - and you ?

And last but not least...
    11) fully mature Windows 10 Mobile system, where will be pleasure to work and function during the day

</visionary-rant>

You can roast me now for wanting such Phone, but let's admit - this would put MS a few years ahead of competitors.
    10-26-2016 12:25 PM
    It sounds like a nice phone, but I don't see how that puts MS ahead of any of their competitors. Just another phone...
    Vittorio Vaselli likes this.
    10-26-2016 02:51 PM
    It sounds like a nice phone, but I don't see how that puts MS ahead of any of their competitors. Just another phone...
    Do you have a better example ? Share with us !
    10-26-2016 03:56 PM
    No I don't, and I'm sorry no offense was intended by my comment.

In order for it to be something the Surface team would want to produce, it would have to be something that is entirely new, or revolutionary to mobile computing/phones. What you have provided is the specs for a very nice phone, but nothing ground breaking that would make it stand out from any one of the other rounded rectangles that currently exist from the existing manufacturer pool. For this to succeed it will need to be different and something that isn't offered by Apple or Android, not just another way of making the same thing. We have seen how well that has worked so far (and by that I mean not very).
    10-27-2016 11:55 AM
188 ... 5678