Surface Phone / Panos' Phone Wishlist

cheetahwig1

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Let's go with the new category idea. Continuum is a great concept, but ho carries around a monitor, keyboard and mouse with their phone? Actually, laptop owners do. So my dream Surface phone is the brains of a new Surface laptop line. Make the phone standalone, but in the 5-5.5" range, with an x32 Intel chip, 4+ gig RAM, 64+HD, a dedicated gpu, and a connector that plugs it in where the touchpad would be in a Surface laptop. You could have your choice of a netbook size up to one with a 17" screen, depending on your need. Lite shell of a laptop, plug in the phone=seamless transition to the screen.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
flipcover with a slim physical keyboard, and so when we use continuum we can use the keyboard and phone as a mouse pad.no need to take extra keyboard or mouse.

Imperial Dynamics

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
6.4 inch 720p (yes 720p for performance and nice scaling of legacy UI reasons) display,
4 GB RAM,
Intel Atom X5 or X7,
Pen,
Windows 10 Pro,
Docking station with discrete graphics card!!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
6.4 inch 720p (yes 720p for performance and nice scaling of legacy UI reasons) display,
4 GB RAM,
Intel Atom X5 or X7,
Pen,
Windows 10 Pro,
Docking station with discrete graphics card!!

And with that docking statin you'll get another Asus PadFone/FonePad which no one will care for.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I want it to have lasers and holograms. Physical keyboard, full size keyboard. Screen that flips out to 10 inches. Pixel density of 1000. And a removable battery. It also need to be priced waaaaaaaay higher than an iPhone. If MS can demonstrate rich people buying their phone, we can tell developers "look at all these rich guys buying the phone. They'll buy your app!"

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Am I the only one who doesn't want intel phone, personally I would rather them create arm phone, but concentrate more on apps, but anyway here is my whislisg
-snapdragon 820
-qHD 5.5-5.7 display (oled)
-64 maybe 128gb of ROM
-3gb of RAM
-20 megapixel pure view camera with xenon flash
-nfc, qi, micro sd, usb c-type
-magnesium and polycarbonate housing (in style of 830) but more rounded edges for comfort
- would love pen support like note 5, plus they could bring over dedicated chip for better pen performance like they did in surface pro 4
- windows 10 mobile already support long press in many native apps, so 3d touch display would be nice
- I haven't used iris scanner yet but I think I would prefer finger print scanner
-one people might not care about but I would like build in audio enhancing chip, like in kg v10
- front facing speaker
I thing this is all of my preferences

mans550

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Lets not get too hasty some of these suggestions are a bit over the top.

The real killer feature needs to be the software -

• They need to make a complete overhaul of the user interface. i think its what is putting most people off windows phones. Live tiles are great but they are not attractive to the mainstream market .

• The OS needs to be flawless, apps need to open instantly (no more loading... / resuming.. )

• Needs to have all the best apps - (note i didnt say more apps just the apps that everyone wants); Remove all the crappy spam apps that some how made their way into the store. make it the most secure and easy to use phone anyone has ever made.

• All the top apps need to have the same consistent look and feel of a universal windows app (not using the windows phone 7/8 design interface)

• And all the top apps need to support the continuum feature.. An added bonus would be that the phone would support x86 apps that have been published on the Windows store.

Going back to the actual phone...

• I just want a super sleek looking phone that makes everyone go wow!;
  • Thinner than all other lumias but with same or better battery life.
  • durable with the latest gorilla glass. possibly waterproof/resistant. (thou i still like the concept of interchangeable covers)
  • A gorgeous display in different sizes 4.7'', 5.2'' and 5.7''. Anything more than 5.7 is too big and wont fit in people's pockets (buy a tablet). pen would be a nice feature but i dont think its essential.
  • must have microSD card support
  • Dual Sim option is a must
  • Min 32GB internal memory with options of 64gb and 128GB
  • I'm not going to comment on the Ram/Processor as its irrelevant until we see whats out there in the future spec. however if its running an intel atom chip then it should run desktop apps in continuum.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I want it to have lasers and holograms. Physical keyboard, full size keyboard. Screen that flips out to 10 inches. Pixel density of 1000. And a removable battery. It also need to be priced waaaaaaaay higher than an iPhone. If MS can demonstrate rich people buying their phone, we can tell developers "look at all these rich guys buying the phone. They'll buy your app!"

Unfortunately, rich people normally get rich by making good decisions.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the clear phone that augments reality behind it would be awesome. You could have it double as a hololens that gives real 3d touch and no phone would be in its category. If you don't dream big you are left with the same tried and tested failed business model.

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Here's my wishlist (slightly amended):

1) A proper successor to the 1520.

2) That means 5.0 to 5.5 in for the regular variant and 6.0 to 6.4 in for the "XL". It has to have a Pixelsense screen with minimal side bezels and 3:2 ratio so Panos Panay can have his notepad sized Moleskine. In fact I hope MS moves away from 16:9 and just base their phone's ratios to standard paper ratios (like the SP3 & 4). Speaking of Moleskines, It'd be cool if MS struck a partnership with them to create limited edition versions. I hope MS uses the same tech found in the Surface Book and Pro 4. Now realistically, considering how slow MS is to adopt screen tech that allows bezel reduction, a max of 2-3 mm on the sides and 1 cm top and bottom (or less). I can't imagine the requisite Iris scanning camera is at a point where it is compact enough to fit behind any bezel smaller. Sapphire glass for the screen and camera lens would also be a bonus but not a necessity.

3) It is imperative that, like the 1520, the top and bottom bezel ratios are symmetrical. Symmetry looks more premium.

4) Body construction MUST be VaporMg. The 950 and 950XL are nice and serviceable flagships as they are but, with the next flagship phone, MS must trump the iPhone in every way imaginable. It has to be a genuine iPhone killer. The current 950 series already has a magnesium chassis. It is VITAL that material appears on the outside - the surface, so to speak - as most people are shallow and, simply put, metal screams premium. Magnesium more so than any aeronautical grade Aluminum. Polycarbonate, by any other name, screams cheap plastic no matter how high their quality is and I really think MS shot themselves in the foot by insisting on using this material for SO long.

Not only may such a phone make iPhone buyers reconsider but it is important Android manufacturers have a new standard to copy and imitate in design than the iPhone. I believe MS has the capability to be that standard.

5) As far as the actual industrial design of the phone, we could start with the Continuum dock apart from the Surface line. Does anyone else find it crazy the dock is better looking and appears better made than the 950 itself? It wouldn't have taken MS much effort to produce backplates mimicking the dock for the 950s. Or they could just go full metal and create the phone equivalent of the Pro 4.

6) That leads us to the next criteria. No bright and shiny colors. They are no longer unique and they look cheap. On top of that MS's implementation of colors has been pretty monochromatic which gets old, tacky and cheap quickly. Please let us rid ourselves of this Ballmer idea. Like alot of things he did, it was so bad.

If WP users really insist on having colors I'd suggest deeper, darker subdued colors like the ones used in the Surface keyboard cover. Think burgundy, oxblood, midnight blue, etc. Some bright colors like canary yellow and cyan is acceptable. Those look tasteful and stylish and, most importantly, won't grow old very quickly with changes in fads.

Another material I'd really like to see in Windows Phones is wood. Not wood with heavy complicated grain patterns like Burled Walnut but light and simple woods like Teak, Bamboo, Zembrano, Wenge and heavily grained Elm or Eucalyptus. Something with a whiff of fragrance. If they go wood, I hope MS doesn't make the mistake of making the phones appear plasticky by overzealous application of gloss varnish. Keep it matte. Let us enjoy texture.

7) Keep the metal Windows logo on the back. I'd also like to see it slightly larger and centered. Any WP fan would like their phone to proudly say it is an MS product. More importantly, I believe the MS name actually has cache.

People here talk about how people lost interest in WP after Nokia left but I think this assessment is incorrect. Nokia was the cellphone standard back in the late 90s and early 00s but by the mid 00s and post iPhone, Nokia lost the plot and began earning a reputation for cheap looking and feeling substandard plastic phones. Nokia became a byword for cheap and that is the general feeling around the world. I can attest to this as someone who lives in a third world country: the Philippines. A lot of people here came to the conclusion "why buy a cheap shoddy Nokia when you can get a better built Samsung for little more?" I was appalled when MS partnered with Nokia and kept me from switching from Android to MS for so long. Glad I did though.

But I digress, everyone knows of the MS/Apple rivalry and the fact MS is even spoken of in the same breathe as Apple gives the name some weight (At least out here in SE Asia). The Surface Pros were a dream come true because it was MS finally realizing and capitalizing on the prestige their name carries. I feel in the US, people are coming to the same conclusion.

I'd also like to see the "Microsoft" name on the top bezel reduced in height and given a smidge more space between each character. I feel the Microsoft name needs a little bit of breathing space.

8) Custom Intel X86 processor. I think it's time to ditch ARM for the high end. It beggars belief that in spite of the long history of partnership between Intel and MS that they haven't actually tapped each other's resources to create a world beating phone that can outstrip and outclass Apple's A series chips. Seriously. Such a processor would also make Continuum a serious feature rather than a novelty. At the very least, Intel should make a dedicated coprocessor for Continuum or for Windows Hello. Either that or MS should create a miniature version of the coprocessor for they built for the Surface Book and put it in a phone.

9) That leads us to cooling. MS should retain the water cooling system they employ in the 950XL but improve upon it. They could also complement it by employing the same perimeter venting seen on the Surface tablets. I honestly think the perimeter vents have the potential to be a signature design element that Android makers might copy it.

10) Front facing speakers. The shame of WP partnering with Dolby Surround is that they failed to use it to the fullest by placing the speaker on the back where it is easily obscured. Put it on the front. HTC's Boomsound is the benchmark MS needs to exceed.

11) 4GB of RAM. I don't need to explain why.

12) Minimum storage of 64gb or 128gb + MicroSDXC expandability of up to 2TB. Make the iPhone buyers regret ever having to put up with Apple's 16GB bull****. Even if Apple moves up to 32GB in the next iPhone, their customers would still be feeling cheated. That's a good thing.

13) Return of the 41 MP camera. At this point, MS needs to go all the way. A 20 MP camera might be fine for the 950/XL but a true flagship phone needs a true flagship camera and no camera has ever matched the cache of that ludicrous Pureview. As usual, give it Zeiss lens but upgrade the OIS so it is laser assisted. A cool differentiator would be for Pureview to get a Hasselblad certified Medium Format feature. That'll give the pretentious artsy types currently on iPhones something to think about the next time they get a phone. MS should lock Hasselblad in an exclusive contract that would exclude any partnership with Apple.

14) To power it all, MS needs a battery much larger than what they are using now. Even my 1520's 3400mah battery with only a 1080p screen to power feels average. Now I am acutely aware that I was spoiled by the 1320's phenomenal battery life which was only powering a 720p screen. Nevertheless, that sort of stamina should be the goalpost for MS. I see that happening with a 4000-6000mah battery. I may be wrong though since my calculations with a 1440p screen is far from scientific.

15) User repairability. In the off chance that the phone needs to be repaired, it'd be nice to make it easy as possible by allowing the screen and all hardware components attached to it (motherboard, CPU, battery, etc be removable from the unibody VaporMg back cover. That said, I'd like to see some pantomime when they are separated.

Imagine having a hole on the bottom of the device that can be accessed via a standard sim card ejector activating muscle wires connected to microhinges which then separate the hardware from the VaporMg shell then push the hardware up by a few millimetres as if to say "I'm ready to be repaired".

It can even make a cool 'beep beep swoosh' sound while doing the operation.

Over engineering FTW!

Last edited:

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I think it'd be a mistake to go below 5.0 in screen size. The iPhone 6/6s' screen is only 4.7 in because Apple was developing that phone when 4.7 in screens were all the rage (see how horrifyingly thick the iPhone 6/6s' bezels are?) and decided to keep it so they could have an upgrade path for its buyers to shell out another extra $600-700 or so when they inevitably make it bigger (5.0-5.2 in) when the iPhone 7 rolls out.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
And with that docking statin you'll get another Asus PadFone/FonePad which no one will care for.

Not necessarily, it depends how the dock is designed, if it is anything like the SP3 dock with the internals in the flat base. I can see that working pretty well.

My wish list ;P
Screen:
  • 5 inch screen with pixel sense
  • 2560x1440
  • Surface pen support and stylus support
  • (housed inside the phone)

Sound
  • Dolby Surround support
  • Multiple HAAC micsSpeakers with real oomph and equalisers
  • Speakers with real oomph and equalisers that we can use without headphones (we can on some models but not others)....

Camera
  • Rear Camera, that's a given has to be
  • better than the 950 and XL
  • Slow Mo at 240 fps
  • 4K at least 60 fps
  • 8 Mp+ wide angle front facing camera for the selfie addicts out there.
  • FFC to remain at least 1080p for recording, calls etc

Battery
  • Extremely efficient on battery, pushed to the max 3 days, incredibly long stand by time (14 days)
  • Removable Battery
  • Qi Resonant Charging

Connectivity
  • Dual Sim, with global GSM radios
  • Usb Type-c with Ethernet support and more
  • IR Blaster
  • Gatt Server and the usual stuff
Storage
  • 32, 64, 128 or just 64 Gigs as standard
  • Micro sd card support with 2TB Theoretical

Security
  • Finger print scanner
  • Iris Scanner

Other
  • Mobile payments that doesn't rely on third party solutions
  • Candy bar and landscape qwerty models
  • The ability to run continuum under the lock screen or with the screen off.

Last edited:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it'd be a mistake to go below 5.0 in screen size. The iPhone 6/6s' screen is only 4.7 in because Apple was developing that phone when 4.7 in screens were all the rage (see how horrifyingly thick the iPhone 6/6s' bezels are?) and decided to keep it so they could have an upgrade path for its buyers to shell out another extra $600-700 or so when they inevitably make it bigger (5.0-5.2 in) when the iPhone 7 rolls out.
I hope someone keeps making quality smaller phones, even though carrying a waffle iron is all the rage. I look around and there are an awful lot of iPhones around with smaller screens, which seems to refute the idea that "everyone" wants a waffle iron phone. There are lots of people that still mainly use the phone as a portable communication tool since they have numerous laptops and PCs at home and they work all day on PCs at work. But, when they are transiting between the two they need something that comfortably fits in any pocket, can be easily be used one handed, and is great at texting, email, and social apps, which cover 90% of what most people do on a phone. I don't think the compact, portable use scenario is going away any time soon. I just spent a couple of weeks with someone who has some ginormous Samsung Note thing and it was such a pain, I really don't know how people can stand it. Didn't fit in any pocket with its case on, so it was always in his hand being juggled with other crap as we struggled through airports and around cities. If he wanted to check a map we needed to stop and find a place to lay the thing down so it could be used properly. Meanwhile, I could easily one-hand my phone so I ended up doing the maps on the fly as we walked along. The waffle iron got left on tables so many times I was amazed it lasted the trip--we were always headed back to look for the phone left behind. Give me a true "mobile" phone!

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I want a small Surface Pro tablet with touch and pen support, runs everything I'm running on my SP3 now including Windows Pro or Enterprise x64 and can be connected to a domain and get to local network files. It should support connection to multiple USB and display options.

It also needs to be able to make phone calls, fit in my pocket, have a battery that will last a whole day or more. :)

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it needs to be, spec wise, similar to the 950 XL but with an x86 processor and 4gb of ram. Then they need to come out with a surface pro like accessory, that the phone docks into the back of the screen, and has the magnetic keyboard attachment. Essentially it would look just like a surface pro. Then you'd have an awesome phone, that basically turns into a laptop capable of running traditional desktop apps. Or you could use it in tablet mode, no keyboard attached, for writing/note-taking or media consumption. That would be a knockout hit! Who wouldn't want a product like that?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It will be a Skylake, come with an easy hdmi out connection, won't run x86 apps(this would destroy their online app store). But going this route will make it easy to code universal. If you code an app on windows desktop it will automatically work on phone without any additional arm code. Even xbox runs x64 processors. The intel gpus on skylake are also better than any arm one right now. Even the new ipad pro powervx can't compete with the iris 500 intel one. So in essence, current arm phones are technically RT. But I'll likely get the new one and sell this if anything. It will be a while before ms gets it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte