Surface Phone / Panos' Phone Wishlist

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think that the Surface phone needs to be recognizable immediately, both up close and from a distance. I really like the yellow option, would be something to get people talking.
I think that MS logo on the back would make it recognizable enough. It could also be recognizable by the camera bump if it will have it xD

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
What about white and stainless steel? or all stainless.
Similar to E71, noone has that design, except the X3 is close. Seriously the E71 was really nice looking, it would be even better if it was all stainless. though more of a challenge.nokia-e71-01.jpg

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
more than the specs, i think it is the need of innovation, where can microsoft take it further, that needs to be the answer. what surface line of product did with pc's, the phone should do that, but that is my opinion, and until then all we can do is speculate and hopefully Panos and team will not disappoint

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
i really don't see how in the time of very responsive multi touch screens, adding a small keyboard would make a difference in typing and adding a kickstand would only increase in the width of the phone, ergonomically it would be the worst design for a phone when every phone is shunting even the headphone jack for usb-c to reduce the thickness.

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
yeah even iphone 7 is supposedly waterproofed, HP did it with elite x3, and it makes it so much more convenient, especially in rainy days, i mean you dont have to worry about your phone atleast

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
i really don't see how in the time of very responsive multi touch screens, adding a small keyboard would make a difference in typing and adding a kickstand would only increase in the width of the phone, ergonomically it would be the worst design for a phone when every phone is shunting even the headphone jack for usb-c to reduce the thickness.

Every fan concept render has just been miniaturizing a Surface and putting a keyboard on it. If that's what Panos was going to do, we'd have it by now. My bet is on phone with Surface styling, that in Continuim is actually a real full PC.

kstagg

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I love my S7 Edge, always have loved my Samsung Galaxy devices and Android as a whole. But am Windows 10 disciple. Here's the thing where they can hurt Google:

- No straying from the core OS. Period. If they allow multiple OEMs to develop for them (rather than just like Nokia in the past) - no cutesy add-on bloatware. Always been Google Achilles heel.

- Updates to OS across carriers at same time. I think this is how they did it before, right? And is how Apple always has.

- true multitasking of apps.

- Full-screen, edge to edge display of applications. Just like on PC.

- UNIQUE design of phone. I think the "foldable" design some folks are calling for is still a ways off and any attempt would come off as 1/2 baked in a first run with new OS. Probably a 5.7" Note/Surface hybrid form factor.

Something extremely thin and powerful (like the PC), but with an optional ADD-ON keyboard?

Bensi66

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I am not a huge tech person but I depend on my phone to do my job everyday. I have been using the 950XL for 11 months now, I personally thought it is the perfect phone for business use. Two features I would very much look for in the new line of phones are dual sim and removable battery. Both are luxury's the competition does not offer.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So, as of today's HW keynote by MS, we now have:

- Surface Book (2in1, but more notebook than tablet)
- Surface Pro (2in1, but more tablet than notebook)
- Surface Studio (AIO computer)
- Xbox and the rest of HW

It's about time we get a proper Surface Phone on next event, which will live up to showed design/technology standards.
I wanted to share my wishes about a Phone, but I waited to sort my thoughts, so I don't post a useless crappy ideas :grin:
So let me go wild ! :devil:
Note: Yes, I took the note "W10M focused on enterprise" into consideration.

<visionary-rant>

Recently I saw that Xiaomi released Mi MIX phone phone (China only though).
Which brings me to first point I would love to see:
1) phone with as thin bezels as possible, while expanding display all over the Phone, except space on upper end for front camera and sensors;

Such movement would mean to dismiss Home/Back/Search buttons... but why not ? Jolla achieved that :wink:
2) swipe-powered phone - swipe down>up for Home, left>right Background apps, right>left Search (better yet, incorporate it inside W10M);

Of course, that would mean a wide redesign of speakers placement, microphone, charger port,...
3a) speakers to be placed on top and bottom back side of Phone, 3,5 mm jack on top, MIC remains on bottom side with USB-C charging port;
3b) 2 slots for nano-SIM and separate slot for SD card on side of the Phone;

Yes, it would also mean that we have to give up on biometry... or not ?
4) fingerprint area active on display while Phone is off, eventually improved iris scanner in front camera (fallback as always to PIN/gesture);

Yes, but display will be very big, so we have to add proper resolution...
5) 1080x1920 will be fully suitable, let's leave hunting for 4K displays to rest of industry, even if it looks bad on paper and in ads;

... and it will draw a lot of power !
6) ... which is why 3000-3500 mAh battery should be standard in the Phone;

What about casing and build feel of the Phone ?
7) Either high-quality alluminium, or magnesium alloy, crafted as a single piece with very minor transitions used for separating antennas;
Note: Let's be clear here: no way you can build phone as single metal piece without problems with antennas. Or prove me wrong.

Camera stuff ?
8) 8-12 Mpx with OIS, big pixels for night shooting and proper LED flash;

Such phone will look bulky, right ?
9) Yes, but I consider anything up to 10 mm sort of "normal thickness" - you want enterprise phone, not fashion accessory, right ?;

And very expensive...
10) of course, price shall be appropiate for such phone - but I would pay for it anywhere close to 800 ? - and you ? :wink:

And last but not least...
11) fully mature Windows 10 Mobile system, where will be pleasure to work and function during the day :wink:

</visionary-rant>

You can roast me now for wanting such Phone, but let's admit - this would put MS a few years ahead of competitors.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No I don't, and I'm sorry no offense was intended by my comment.

In order for it to be something the Surface team would want to produce, it would have to be something that is entirely new, or revolutionary to mobile computing/phones. What you have provided is the specs for a very nice phone, but nothing ground breaking that would make it stand out from any one of the other rounded rectangles that currently exist from the existing manufacturer pool. For this to succeed it will need to be different and something that isn't offered by Apple or Android, not just another way of making the same thing. We have seen how well that has worked so far (and by that I mean not very).

aerobraking

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a better example ? Share with us ! :smile:

Combine your thoughts with that:

https://youtu.be/TmQ7SlvYMzk?t=35s

And then add pen support.

As camaroz1985 mentioned, Microsoft is waiting for something new, something that "replaces" our todays vision of smartphones. The only thing I can image in the near future is merging the concept of a Smartphone and tablet by having a foldable screen. With that and the pen support in Windows10, you have a phone that is as small as todays phones, but you can get a bigger screen if you need it. On that you can take notes with your pen or get a larger on-screen keyboard. Of course I don't know if this kind of Technology will be possible in the next 2-4 years.

But I can't think of anything else, that fits into my given requirements:

- It can't be any larger than todays smartphones (max. 7 Inches), otherwise nobody would use it as a daily, mobile computer.

- You realy can do something differently with it than with todays (and the last 4 years) smartphones (basicly messasing, some apps, internet, photos/Videos)

Last edited:

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Combine your thoughts with that:

https://youtu.be/TmQ7SlvYMzk?t=35s

And then add pen support.

As camaroz1985 mentioned, Microsoft is waiting for something new, something that "replaces" our todays vision of smartphones. The only thing I can image in the near future is merging the concept of a Smartphone and tablet by having a foldable screen. With that and the pen support in Windows10, you have a phone that is as small as todays phones, but you can get a bigger screen if you need it. On that you can take notes with your pen or get a larger on-screen keyboard. Of course I don't know if this kind of Technology will be possible in the next 2-4 years.

But I can't think of anything else, that fits into my given requirements:

- It can't be any larger than todays smartphones (max. 7 Inches), otherwise nobody would use it as a daily, mobile computer.

- You realy can do something differently with it than with todays (and the last 4 years) smartphones (basicly messasing, some apps, internet, photos/Videos)

I agree. Surface products are created for highlight software capabilities, and what is the point of differentiation of windows mobile?
Continuum, but you need an external screen...unless you can have a bigger screen in the phone itself. You can have it with a flexible screen or dual screen side by side that can be seen as one. Lenovo already shown a phone with flexible screen that can become a tablet, i know the tech is there, but i don't know how much time it needs to build factory for mass production.

aerobraking

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Surface products are created for highlight software capabilities, and what is the point of differentiation of windows mobile?

Only highlighting Software? Isn't it a new combination of hard- and Software to create new product categories?

And yes you are right, we need a bigger, portable screen for changing how we can work with a Smartphone. Simply because of Continuum, nearly nobody would by a Windows Mobile Smartphone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven