09-20-2016 11:31 AM
60 123
tools
    To be honest I've been using the Surface Pro, which has the bare minimum of buttons
    With the exception of the Surface Book, every model in the Surface line has a capacitive button. It would actually be a departure from Surface design language to not have capacitive buttons on a "Surface Phone."

To OP's original question: Is there a place to request hardware/design changes on Windows Phones?
    01-15-2016 11:15 AM
    Some good news for you. On the latest ask Dan Windows episode. He mentioned that MS showed the surface phone prototypes to OEMs and the gossip is that it has a keyboard. Maybe it'll get a windows key.
    01-19-2016 03:16 AM
    Some good news for you. On the latest ask Dan Windows episode. He mentioned that MS showed the surface phone prototypes to OEMs and the gossip is that it has a keyboard. Maybe it'll get a windows key.
    Doesn't mean anything. The Priv has a keyboard but no other keys, same with the Q10 and Q5.
    01-19-2016 11:59 AM
    He mentioned that MS showed the surface phone prototypes to OEMs and the gossip is that it has a keyboard
    To be fair, he didn't explicitly say that the rumors were that it HAD a keyboard. All he said was "keyboard."
    01-19-2016 12:16 PM
    Sorry not going to happen. What you see as a shortcut, I see as a good design choice. I'd much rather have buttons that can be changed on a whim if needed then hardware buttons that you are stuck with. As for the bottom bezel.....ummm on the 950xl there is practically no room for any buttons. As the mic is right there, and you would literally be pressing right on the edge of the phone.
    Screen space? Ok what do you really need screen space for? Games? Videos? Pictures? Web browsing? Ebook reading? Fantastic. The buttons go away for the times when you need the full screen.
    Where as, the Hardwar buttons will always be on the edge on the phone. Unchanging and unmoving.
    I see no compromise in this respect. I see future proofing.

Cause right now, android is designed to be based around soft keys, ios is not far from being a software button only phone.
    If you want hard buttons, Blackberry is where you want to go.

Agree. I like the software buttons. Best part about them (even though I rarely do it) is you are able to temporarily swipe them away.

Sent from my Surface 3
    01-19-2016 12:22 PM
    I suppose one way to petition it would be to use the Windows Feedback feature I guess? Perhaps in the "Preview" section of the Windows Feedback.
    02-13-2016 07:09 PM
    How do we petition against a petition for hardware buttons?

I prefer on-screen.
    Unauthorized and EMINENT 1 like this.
    02-13-2016 09:05 PM
    Software keys are awful. A compromise to save money by not using hardware keys. They take up screen estate (even though you can hide it at times with a swipe). A true flagship phone should not have compromises. They also spoil the look and symmetry of the phone. The bottom bezel would be plain and a waste of space when capacitive navigation buttons could be there. Awful on 950 xl. Perfect on 1520. So... how can we let Microsoft know not to make this awful shortcut on their next flagship phone?
    I completely disagree with everything you said.

If you experienced the debacle of the 830 and constant hardware failures you might feel different.

On-screen buttons work and look great on the 950 and with them you get a larger screen on an overall smaller phone with a smaller bezel. No accidental presses while watching videos or playing games, because you can hide them.

I wasn't excited about them either, even after going through 4 Lumia 830 because of unresponsive capacitive buttons, but they've won me over on the Lumia 950.
    EMINENT 1 likes this.
    02-13-2016 09:19 PM
    Accidentally hitting the button on my 920 sucked. I love the 950 setup.
    Josh Harman and EMINENT 1 like this.
    02-13-2016 09:23 PM
    With the exception of the Surface Book, every model in the Surface line has a capacitive button. It would actually be a departure from Surface design language to not have capacitive buttons on a "Surface Phone."
    And the exception of the Surface Pro 4, which got a bigger screen than the SP3 of the same size due to the useless button being removed. So the latest Surface design language is clear: It can all be done in software now.
    Josh Harman likes this.
    02-13-2016 10:49 PM
    And the exception of the Surface Pro 4, which got a bigger screen than the SP3 of the same size due to the useless button being removed. So the latest Surface design language is clear: It can all be done in software now.
    I'd have to agree. I think that the solitary capacitive button on the Surface line is a bit silly. But the capacitive buttons on Windows Mobile serve a much greater purpose.
    02-14-2016 03:31 PM
    I really don't see any benefit anymore in having capacitive buttons on the phone, now that I used the 950 XL for a while. Softkeys are always lit, can be hidden if not needed or disturbing (fullscreen apps do this on their own), can be customised or even changed in the future if needed and - major advantage - can be clicked with a mouse. Just 2 little things: Navigation bar should be hideable for old Silverlight apps too and the bezel below the screen should be even thinner.
    02-16-2016 12:23 AM

To OP's original question: Is there a place to request hardware/design changes on Windows Phones?
    Ummmm NO! There is no Capacitive buttons on the SP4! I should know as the owner of one! None on the book! The S3 has one, so the S4 will most likely have none! They are all screen based.
    02-23-2016 11:59 AM
    I really don't see any benefit anymore in having capacitive buttons on the phone, now that I used the 950 XL for a while. Softkeys are always lit, can be hidden if not needed or disturbing (fullscreen apps do this on their own), can be customised or even changed in the future if needed and - major advantage - can be clicked with a mouse. Just 2 little things: Navigation bar should be hideable for old Silverlight apps too and the bezel below the screen should be even thinner.
    I agree with this. At first I was one to say don't get rid of the buttons, but then I got the SP4, and I don't even miss them! I actually prefer them not being on there, because you can hide them, and have a bigger screen/thinner bezel.
    02-23-2016 12:16 PM
    Originally posted by tboy2000
    Software keys are awful. A compromise to save money by not using hardware keys. They take up screen estate (even though you can hide it at times with a swipe). A true flagship phone should not have compromises. They also spoil the look and symmetry of the phone. The bottom bezel would be plain and a waste of space when capacitive navigation buttons could be there. Awful on 950 xl. Perfect on 1520. So... how can we let Microsoft know not to make this awful shortcut on their next flagship phone?
    I disagree, I went from Lumia Icon (with), and Lumia 950 (without). Software keys can be hidden, and give you more screen real estate. I do think transparency should be controlled in settings, and the swiping to hide and show could be streamlined.
    03-05-2016 06:59 AM
    Well then maybe MS can provide us a lock to set the onscreen selections in order to prevent drop down.
    This would give every owner a choice to leave them on the screen or turn the lock off to allow it to be dropped down.

Poll
    Ask the website owner if they can insert a poll for us to use.
    Shouldn't be that difficult to include.
    Either way the results will be reviewed by MS and most likely taken into consideration later
    03-20-2016 10:06 AM
    I own 1520 & 640 devices.
    I am waiting for the W10m upgrade so that I can make a choice in the future.
    I DO like the drop down screen.
    Currently using an i5s, sorry, with an otter box case.
    Sometimes I can't tell which button I'm on.
    The onscreen, for me, allows me to select "on the screen"... where I am at where my eyes are focused.
    For me, the physical selection button feature works just fine, mostly.
    I own a SP2, a Surface RT, and with the 2 devices I also own, these devices are one reason I purchased them.
    I enjoy the "onscreen" selection.
    03-20-2016 10:13 AM
    Device needs to ha e a chin to hold. Screen to the edge would cause problems. Note 3 uses capacitive buttons which are okay bit I still accidentally hit them since they do not require pressure. I would like the chin to basically be a rocker button for the back and other buttons. Would make accidental brushes against it less of a problem.
    04-11-2016 09:03 PM
    Accidentally hitting the button on my 920 sucked. I love the 950 setup.
    I completely disagree with everything you said.

If you experienced the debacle of the 830 and constant hardware failures you might feel different.

On-screen buttons work and look great on the 950 and with them you get a larger screen on an overall smaller phone with a smaller bezel. No accidental presses while watching videos or playing games, because you can hide them.

I wasn't excited about them either, even after going through 4 Lumia 830 because of unresponsive capacitive buttons, but they've won me over on the Lumia 950.
    How do we petition against a petition for hardware buttons?

I prefer on-screen.

This all day everyday and tomorrow!

How can we petition to NOT bring back hardware buttons? Those things were TERRIBLE! Always accidentally hitting them when I had the old phones. Never on the 950XL.
    04-27-2016 12:00 PM
    make it a flip phone with a physical keyboard and a fulcrum hinge.
    negative1ne and Kevin Rush like this.
    04-29-2016 05:30 AM
    IMO, after using the virtual buttons, I don't miss those physical buttons at all.😂
    Agreed. And having switched back to a phone with buttons (went from 920>630>830) I really don't notice much of a difference between the capacitive buttons on the 920 & 830 and the on screen variety of the 630. The haptic feedback makes it even less of an issue for me.

The only buttons I'd want would be actual physical clicky buttons like the home button on the Omnia 7, or going back further, the full set on my Xperia X10. Capacitive vs on-screen buttons pretty much comes out as a draw for me, so if removing the buttons provides a bigger screen in the same chassis, I'll take on-screen - and they'll disappear when watching video, which doesn't happen if they're physical buttons.
    05-05-2016 01:40 AM
    Samsung?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-03-2016 02:07 AM
    Personally I like "hardware" buttons (capacitive) but somethings those buttons make the screen unbalanced. Personally I don't like phones like Lumia 920 where the buttons zone is bigger, now I am using an iPhone and I like that the Home button zone is the same size the speaker zone. So I don't mind if this hypothetical phone called surface phone has software buttons as long as it has a balanced design.
    08-12-2016 06:57 PM
    New reason to like keys that can be hidden: my infant. When I watch a video (usually Elmo) on my Note 4, he is always hitting the home button and we rarely make it 10 seconds before I hear "uh oh" and I have to restart it only to have it happen 5 seconds later. On my Lumia 640? He doesn't ever swipe up the buttons, and he watches in peace.
    08-12-2016 09:52 PM
    "Back" is a common task whatever you are doing. "Search" would also be a common task if it were properly implemented. Separate buttons allow these to be used while not taking up screen space.

The 950XL has a lot of bezel space which could have been used for capacitive buttons. On-screen buttons makes the effective real-estate is smaller than the 1520.

Only when phones have bezels that cover the entire face of the device would it make sense to move capacitive buttons on-screen.
    08-24-2016 04:27 AM
60 123