What if Surface Phone is actually a Lumia?

DT_17

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
This question struck my head when I was thinking sitting on bed that Surface is a brand of Tablets and Lumia is for Phones. So Its possible that we going see a Intel powered Lumia instead Surface Phone.

But if it happens then personally I think it'll not hit as it should, because the name factor will working. Lumia becomes a non-popular hated brand. So they should make Surface Phone lineup.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it'll be a Lumia. It's only called a "Surface Phone" because it'll be designed in Redmond - the 950/950XL were the last of the Espoo handsets.

It is of course far too early to know what the Lumia number will be, possible it'll be a 1xxx.

DT_17

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Then what's the speciality of "Surface" Phone. I'm focusing on naming. I believe they should make a Non-Lumia line-up. As Surface Phone. Because somewhere the name "Lumia" made a bad impression. It can recover by a new brand name.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Then what's the speciality of "Surface" Phone. I'm focusing on naming. I believe they should make a Non-Lumia line-up. As Surface Phone. Because somewhere the name "Lumia" made a bad impression. It can recover by a new brand name.

So Microsoft has to "admit" that "Lumia" is/was "bad" and that is why they start with a new name.!?! Are you serious??

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And everyone will assume that the "Surface Phone" would be able to run the full x86 version of Windows 10. I don't really see that happening any time soon.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's not like Microsoft has ever renamed a product before? If they had, we could not be surprised if Lumia gets renamed.

Office Groove->SkyDrive Pro->OneDrive for Business->??
Zune Music->XBOX Music->Groove Music
Windows Mobile->Windows Phone->Windows Mobile

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I would be guessing they want to streamline the names. they have way to many names for their products. If they design a surface phone and label it as a surface phone then the stigma attached to the surface name could possibly give it a good vibe. People could then associate it with the design (if it looks like a small surface), it could be 'a smaller surface', if it runs off whatever Intels x86 phone chipset then it theoretically could run regular x86 software (not likely really) like a PC and be really a small PC. And the surface line is revenue generating, and they could advertise it as the surface for your palm as opposed to an unloved windows phone/mobile.

Shemsi Tagiyev

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
So i can tell you,Surface Phone is not a Lumia.And Lumia brand I don't think will be end.So some Lumia's is just a business phone.Right?And this Lumia's is good for fans nut not for everyone.Its not good as iPhone.so iPhone has big App Store,or you know things.I mean iPhone is not good phone for us.It has bad camera.but everyone love it.So whatever.And Lumia is just business phone and something like that.Lumia is not for just entertainment.Not for Instagram,chatting and other social networks.Its just for to help your day.Good Camera,Stable OS,Office things,OneDrive and etc.And that's why Surface Phone is coming.Surface brand is business brand.Surface Phone is not Lumia.is not a phone.Its a Surface that you can use it like PC in your pocket.After Surface Phone release,Lumia will be like iPhone.You will can do everything.Instagram,Games, and etc.Did you get the point now?And that's why Windows Phone renamed as Windows Mobile.its not a phone.Its Surface Pro mobile version.Surface Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium