If Surface Phone gets cancelled like McLaren

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a 950 that is the only phone I have wanted to break in half daily. I have been a windows phone guy from the beginning, but I think this 950 and it's battery, Bluetooth, wifi, app gap, and other issues is going to drive me to IOS.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why would it. McLaren got canned (in part) because it got caught up in the Nokia deal. It was most probably just a technology prototype anyway. Look at how much the 3D touch is talked about with the iPhones and how many people are demanding that feature here on Windows Central...

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'll buy lg g3 this spring if things with wm10 don't improve. And then I'll be waiting for a year to see what's going with Surface phone, if it will be announced at all. Then if windows will have become better I'll possibly buy second generation ar used first generation phone. That's my plan, but I'm also waiting to see what Nokia will bring when deal with microsoft, which prevents nokia froma making phones, ends.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a 950 that is the only phone I have wanted to break in half daily. I have been a windows phone guy from the beginning, but I think this 950 and it's battery, Bluetooth, wifi, app gap, and other issues is going to drive me to IOS.

Same sentiments. It was the fluidity and responsiveness that made me love Windows Phone. Give me issues and there's the app gap, what will make me love this device.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Why would it. McLaren got canned (in part) because it got caught up in the Nokia deal. It was most probably just a technology prototype anyway. Look at how much the 3D touch is talked about with the iPhones and how many people are demanding that feature here on Windows Central...
that is not 3D touch bro get your facts right, iphone has force touch, 3d touch can see your finger

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If Surface Phone gets cancelled like Surface Mini, I'll continue to use my 640 and look for options (mid-range W10 phones, 4th gen Moto G?).
But that would be the case anyway, Surface Phone gets cancelled or not :D

The rest is at least partly OT, sorry for that ;)

Surface (Pro) is something new, they say. It's a tablet that can replace laptop. I'd say they just put decent hardware in a thin tablet. Any well-thought and well-made convertible can do the same while keeping keyboard along all the time. Maybe that was the thing, stopping being cheap and seeing value in good specs and good design. Apple.

Surface Book is again something new, they say. Laptop that can - replace your tablet? I don't know what to even think about that. The Hinge... Surface Pro with extra battery (and GPU in some models if not all?) in keyboard section + hype-class muscle wire locking device. Sci-fi airlock stuff without exploding bolts ;) I can believe OEMs thinking WTF when they saw it. Idea? Nice. Practival? Maybe. Pretty? No :D

Surface Phone will be something new, everyone thinks. If MS can pull off something in the scale of Hololens (it's cool, potentially practical, independent and small; I want one for, IDK, something), they may have a winner. Dual rear camera at opposite ends of the phone so that it can take real stereoscopic images and overlay world and graphics in cardboard VR. If it's mini-Surface Mini or flip phone with The Hinge - Panos will really have to do his Jobs on the stage. They won't let that happen.

I don't see Win32 as a reason to have x86 in a phone when small (comparable to Continuum dock) x86 PCs with full Windows are available and cheap. Common thing for both: external display, mouse and keyboard required. Same amount of stuff to carry. Maybe Surface Phone is phone + dock/PC with some fancy USB/WiFi/NFC wizardry that TheVerge cannot understand or appreciate. ARM + x86. Space-tech metal that feels and smells better than what Apple uses. Who knows :)

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll just stick with my Lumia 1520. Still arguably the best Windows Phone or Windows 10 Mobile device ever made. When the battery eventually craps out, I'll hope to be able to source a new one.

mshaw2k

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, since sticking the Mozo cover in my 950 I am entirely happy, works great, looks great and will likely get the capabilities of the "surface phone" except maybe Full PC experience. It's good enough for next 12 months.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll continue using my 1020 until it conks out which i don't expect in the next 2 years. By then I hope to see a new device within my purchasing power

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I'll continue to use my M8 until the release of the Surface Phone and then consider my options.

Sent from my Surface 3

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
As the ole saying goes, I wouldn't hold my breath. I just stuck a knife in the life raft that I jumped in last week regarding the 950xl. The raft is now guiding me to the sony z5 dual premium. I am done with windows phones. I will still use windows services as they work better on android anyways. The camera on my 1020 will be somewhat missed, but the 30x zoom module for the sony phone will more than make up for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss