Surface Holophone

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Would it be possible to incorporate the Hololens depth scanner (mini-Kinect) and dual 4K cameras to record 180degree 3D content, depth mapped and used for a VR-videogram. Similar to the forthcoming Hololens app for sending Hologram-grams. Scenes could be viewed on Hololens or full 360 VR. MS research developed a prototype 3D scanner phone app in 2013 that uses a single lens. Check Out Microsoft?s 3D-Scanning Windows Phone App | Pocketnow

If initial adoption for Hololens is promising, a "Surface Phone" or appropriately named flagship that works as a companion to the Hololens could work. Maybe 2018.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
If Google with project Tango can do it, i think Microsoft can do it too. Remember at the Hololens presentation Kipman said: "Every windows device is shipped with holographic API" who knows!?

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it does make sense if the holographic API is accessible through devices like smart phones. One could potentially view Holograms on the phone screen just like a hololens. Of course, it would not necessarily be 3D, though 3D glasses-free displays are certainly possible. Something to chew on I guess. Waiting until Wave 3 of Hololens Dev Kits to get my hands on my own and start tinkering!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo