Windows Central Question

Is surface phone coming this year

Surface phone Will Survive?

isaac lee ishida

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is surface phone coming this year

Nope, because...

A report by ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley says that Microsoft is slated to release a new line Windows 10 devices in early 2017. This is the reason why the second part of the "Redstone" update for Windows 10 was pushed back, so it would coincide with the next wave of the Windows 10 family.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Best answer so far is:
Some say yes some say no.
Many are hopeful yet have doubt.
Quite few are doubtful yet still have hope.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Best answer so far is:
Some say yes some say no.
Many are hopeful yet have doubt.
Quite few are doubtful yet still have hope.

Won the Internet.jpg

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm betting it won't be this year as the rumours are saying it's probably tied to the release of Redstone 2 in 2017.
Irrelevant really as it was needed last year. MS had totally screwed up over the last few years. I just can't get my head around how far behind Lumia's are compared to everyone else in the design stakes. Crazy really as back in the 920's day I felt it was head and shoulders above the competition.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Crazy really as back in the 920's day I felt it was head and shoulders above the competition.

Because it was. The Lumia 920 was disruptive and received a lot of press attention. At the time, the design was refreshing, and beautiful. It had the best camera on the market, and was the first (to my knowledge) with wireless charging. The only criticism was the thickness of the device.

Nokia drove innovation with Windows Phone, and unfortunately, since Microsoft took over, innovation and beautiful design has gone out the window. Really sad how Microsoft dropped the ball. Here's hoping that the Surface Phone will recapture the innovation, excitement, and beauty of what Nokia was giving us. It better not look like a generic iPhone type / Lumia 950 style device.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

They can build the best phone and os in the world, but it's of no use and help when there's an apps famine.
Agreed. Loved my 7.8 device but hated that I was basically stuck mostly with a few apps a knock offs of all the popular ones. Android emulators can run in windows OS. So sandbox an emulator and allow play store access. Then Microsoft just focuses on keeping emulator up to date and can put it's efforts into maximizing the few proprietary apps in the native os. Only trick will be allowing emulator access to phone systems without sacrificing security. IE: Don't want to have to email my self a photo so I can post it in an android app in the emulator. If the native os kicks *** and the native apps are top shelf, it may motivate developers to bring their Android app to the native OS. If the emulator play store somehow indicates to the developers when a windows phone is downloading it will keep them up to date.

My Note 3 has been an amazing device but I do love some of the inherent windows functionality. And I for one would use continuum quite a bit. I just don't want either of the lumias.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs