NuAns Neo Kickstarter is LIVE

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure it isn't aimed at those buyers. If you don't currently want W10M this wouldn't entice you, no.

But if you want W10M with continuum it would be the lowest priced entry ignoring 950/XL BOGO deals.

Recent BOGO may be what is spoiling the US response, but where are the countries that need a Euro-tuned radio? Windows Phone has long done very well in some European countries. The LTE Bands 1/3/7/20 make this phone capable not only in Europe, but parts of Asia and Africa. Add in some Latin American countries, with others having adopted a US-tuned radio. This probably is suffering from lack of exposure in the correct markets.

To me, though, the aesthetic sells it as much as the spec.
I thought Windows 10 Mobile ROMs were supposed to be coming to Nextbit and OnePlus.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure it isn't aimed at those buyers. If you don't currently want W10M this wouldn't entice you, no.

But if you want W10M with continuum it would be the lowest priced entry ignoring 950/XL BOGO deals.

Recent BOGO may be what is spoiling the US response, but where are the countries that need a Euro-tuned radio? Windows Phone has long done very well in some European countries. The LTE Bands 1/3/7/20 make this phone capable not only in Europe, but parts of Asia and Africa. Add in some Latin American countries, with others having adopted a US-tuned radio. This probably is suffering from lack of exposure in the correct markets.

To me, though, the aesthetic sells it as much as the spec.
I agree if the BOGO free was never a thing, I would of jumped on this phone in a heartbeat.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I kind of think it needs more media coverage. Something like it you are looking for a mid range WP, this is great option, a very artistic one. It had to go outside us webs, I guess.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought Windows 10 Mobile ROMs were supposed to be coming to Nextbit and OnePlus.

Might be... But a bird in the hand and all. We know the Neo will be running W10M without question.

My experiences flashing ROMs and alternate OS choices onto Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 1st gen lead me to question the value of ports vs made for hardware. In my experience they are never equal... Will devices running ports have full store access? Will devices running ports be seen by WaaS and get updates or will users have to wait for those to get compiled and start from scratch with a fresh flash? Will ports get Continuum which is a signature feature? How about a license to download Maps from the HERE Database?

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I love the design of this phone, I am okay with mid-range / outdated specs, but the one thing I cannot live without is Qi wireless charging...

Good luck with the funding fellas (though it seems like optimism is fading fast here). As for me, I will look for my old Lumia 920 and slap this case on it for a poor impostor :cool::

TB1vf5NJFXXXXXiXVXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

ETX808

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
On the back of the Neo there is a cardholder (for transit cards and such) - in theory it should be easy to add wireless charging in that space. It's almost a bit puzzling they don't sell that as a little add-on.

Edit: ... ah, might not be so easy after all. For some reason I had assumed, based on it's size that it had a removable battery. All the more reason for them to sell an official add-on though - but that's probably not so easy to add this late in the process.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I like Qi a lot. But I've had so many devices without I can manage to live with a device that doesn't have it...

On the back of the Neo there is a cardholder (for transit cards and such) - in theory it should be easy to add wireless charging in that space.

Now I wonder though... Do they make those Qi receiver pads with a type C connector? It would seem you could plug one in and tuck it under the battery cover really easily. Maybe make a carefully done slot for the ribbon cable to pass through.

ETX808

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Seems like they do indeed exist. Can be found at Aliexpress or eBay (I have no personal experience with them). With a tiny little incision in the bottom cover I do imagine it will be almost invisible.

In this image underneath the cover of the Neo
nunans2.jpg
it looks like there is just some sort of sticker between the transit card space and the battery - possibly that one could simply be pulled off (pure speculation on my part though).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the links to the Qi receivers. I also think it could be made almost invisible fairly easily with a Dremel and a sanding wheel.

In this image underneath the cover of the Neo

it looks like there is just some sort of sticker between the transit card space and the battery - possibly that one could simply be pulled off (pure speculation on my part though).

Looks can be deceiving. BLU Win HD LTE has a plastic sheet glued down over the battery and glued down hard. Pulling it up reveals a strap of the sub-frame over-top the battery. It actually involves disassembly to service the BLU battery.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/bl...ecreases-can-i-get-some-help.html#post3280479
&
http://forums.windowscentral.com/bl...ecreases-can-i-get-some-help.html#post3281957

ETX808

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Ouch, that sounds like a path best left alone. Nuans should give us a teardown though : ) Good way to generate more publicity.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
With
1. having a 950 in hand.
2. the Meizu MX6 Ubuntu version on the horizon
3. New Nokia (HMD or whatever) cooking something up
4. the eminent release of HP X3 Elite
5. iphone 6 and 920 in back pocket.
6. N9 64GB automated to play music in my car.
its hard to drop a few bills on this Kickstarter right now.

ETX808

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Asked NuAns about modding the Neo for wireless charging - reply was perhaps not entirely unexpected although I had hoped for a slightly less corporate style reply: Please note that NEO does not support Qi Wireless Charge. We strongly recommend you NOT TO MODIFY NEO.
It is not going to be covered by warranty and you will not be able to get any support from us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99