What Do You Want In a W10M Device?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really think there is a missed opportunity if nobody licenses Lumia Camera Classic from Microsoft to put on a 3rd party phone.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Darn, I was giddy reading all these great ideas when I got to the last posting as of this reading and closed this and had to go back to the real world. Drats.

My phone would have:

5.7 - 6" screen
Removable battery and SD card slot.
3400 mah battery
Solid well written apps. Did I mention apps?
Speed but not at the expense of making it too expensive.
Dedicated camera button
Sounds like my 950XL doesn't it?

I'm off to see the Wizard!!!!!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@RumoredNow --Thanks for starting these threads.

At this point the Windows 10 Mobile OS released on the hardware out there now is not capable of utilizing more than 3GB of RAM. I don't believe it needs that much either. So no use needing more than that. I do think it would be good to see an x86 soc out there with Windows Mobile though.

I like large screens but not when I have hold it in my hand every day. Continuum like features need to be there. For me any device above a 5.2" screen size I find can be uncomfortable. Unless they can fit a 5.5" screen into a lumia 950 size body.

Fingerprint scanner is almost norm now. I'd like to see them do something cool bringing the capacitive back windows and search buttons back, but making the windows button being also the finger print scanner.

I like thin phones. At or below 7.5mm is good enough. I don't care what it is made of as long as aesthetically it's pleasing to use and hold. Light weight is always better and will take drops better to being light.

Stereo speakers. LED notification and the option to enable that over the current full screen on notifications. Or, I would love to see a glance screen alert notification option incorporated in there too. Surprised that is not available yet. Anything to save those precious battery minutes.

That's all for now.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Working for a carrier, I see a lot of phones that do all kinds of quirky things. There are some features that are awesome, and others that are weird. I'd say for me, my perfect phone wouldn't need to be anything super thin or light. I'm fine with a brick, as long as that weight is going toward a great battery. LG G5 and V10 are pathetic with battery life. I have a second phone that's a G5 and the battery drains faster than the Galaxy S6, which was terrible as well. Give me good battery life. If the screen needs to be a slightly lower res to achieve that, I'm fine. 1080p and 1440p are not that far off for me. I like the new phone displays that are super high res, but I also don't like watching my battery percentage drop so rapidly.

I also like the fingerprint sensor concept. Iris scanner is great for Windows Hello, but maybe not always the quickest way to go. I like the placement on the back of phones like Nexus and LG. It's easy to hold and unlock my phone. But if the phone is sitting on the table, you have to pick it up fully to unlock with finger. Apple had a pretty smart idea putting it on the front, and it is ergonomic as well, but it also takes up vertical space on the phone, making the phone a little taller. Pros and cons to everything. I'm fine with either way. Just don't go the method of the Moto Z and put the sensor on the front and also not utilize it as a home button. It confuses people.

Camera is probably what I am most picky about. I live and die by good Lumia cameras. It would take a lot to convince me a non-Nokia/Microsoft phone could be better. But I really want a quick shutter speed. iPhone and Samsung are great at this. LG, too. Windows Phones are super slow. I miss so many great moments because of the slow camera and how long it takes to process photos.

A unique design would be awesome, but not the most important feature for me. But it will be in order to win over new users. Everyone likes an attractive device. It increases perceived value.

Expandable storage is not a must, but if it isn't available, 64GB would be idea for internal storage, just to be safe.

I don't need a gimmick like cartridges or magnetic back plates. If the phone will be modular, it needs to be intuitive and supported long term. Moto Mods are cool, but no one is really buying them. LG "Friends" never took off at all. If there is something modular, it would need to make sense. No need to jump into an idea just because it is cool. It needs to be sustainable and scalable.

Not something WhatrtonBrooks can control, or any OEM, but the inconsistency and glitchiness of Windows 10 Mobile needs to stop. I encounter problems daily, and it is frustrating to see common things not work well, or see Android phones or iPhones doing simple tasks when I'm struggling because my keyboard decides it doesn't want to backspace when typing an email, or even send it after pressing the send button. Small, but very important details like that need to change. That's on MS to fix.

That's all I can really think of for now. I see a lot of gimmicks on phones, daily. People want a phone they can rely on and do what they want it to when it needs to. The fundamentals come first. The fancy stuff can come later.

JC_Yang

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
The most important to me is, a 1080p IPS LCD screen. Size should between 5 to 6 inches.
DO NOT USE AMOLED, that's a disaster. I hate display colors from both L930 and L1020, but love L1520. And the longevity and durability of both types of screen are not comparable. IPS LCD is hands down better in terms of lifetime. I need it and love it.

A mid-high end device should use a CPU not less than snapdragon 65x, 3GB or more ram is welcome.
Hopefully the radio module can support global cellular networks. So many Chinese android phone manufacturer do it already.
Whether the battery is replaceable or not is no longer very important a factor. But if a phone can do it, this might be a bonus.
And finally, if the phone offer a camera that the image quality is comparable to the cameras in Lumia flagships, that'll be great.

JC_Yang

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Some addition to my last post.

I badly need physical capacity navigation buttons, just like the ones on L1520, hey, please give it to us.
Support Qi charger is a bonus, but not a requirement.
If a 4000mAh battery can be packed in safely, that'll be amazing. Many Chinese android phone maker do it already. Windows 10 Mobile is itself a very battery efficient OS, imagine how long can we play with such a large battery.
A NFC module that can fully utilize Windows 10 Mobile's NFC API and extension features will be very, very useful.
Personally I prefer large screen, after holding my L1520 for more than 2 years, hand on a L930 make me feel it's such a little brother that does not satisfy me anymore. Maybe a model with 5.1 inches screen for those who prefer a smaller form size and a model with 6 inches screen for who prefer a large screen(so many new phones series use this kind of strategy to expand their market coverage) is a pretty good decision.

Support expansible storage is also a very useful feature. It can make the phone much more flexible.

I just recall that, the universal cellular supported in iPhone 6s and later models really make it outstanding to many competitors. Learn from Apple on this very subject, learn how to make mobile device that really care the convenience of their customers. Universal cellular supported is really very useful.

Last but not least, I should emphasize that, the display quality of 1080p IPS LCD screen is enough for phones with screen up to 6 inches. Don't need 2K screen on a phone to drain the battery. Yes, again, DO NOT use AMOLED, I won't consider to purchase a phone with this Samsung trash.

Last edited:

JC_Yang

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Some words about the price point vs the specs and build quality.
Take a look at XiaoMi, especially their RedMi series(their XiaoMi series are also excellent), I think 50%(or even more, less than 80%) higher price with same or equivalent specs is perfectly acceptable and will be enjoyed by mostly every Windows Phone fans.

RedMi Note 3, for example, with SD 65x + 3GB ram and 32GB internal storage, China-Local universal cellular supported, is tagged at just 148 USD in China right now!!! Their prices strategy is known to be aggressive, but 50%~80% higher prices are definitely not lost-to-consumer deals. This can really introduce Windows Phones that is accessible-to-everyone.

Last edited:

nimblebits

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I use Windows Phone as my daily driver. I've previously had a Lumia 625, 635, 650 and now I'm using a Lumia 950.

These are some improvements that would make our lives easier.

- There should be a dedicated camera button
- If a camera button doesn't exist we should be able to use the volume button to capture photos.

- There should be an LED charge indicator light so we can see from far of the phone has fully charged

- The phone should support powered off charging

- USB-C port on higher end phones with OTG support to demonstrate Continuum features

- CDMA and GSM support for people travelling from US to rest of world. So we can use GSM Sim card and get better rates in these countries.

- The phone app and people app should be one for seamless usage

- The phone must be upgradeable using the phone updates feature for future releases of Windows 10

If possible we should be able to use the Insider Programme on non lumia devices

Last edited:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to see some of the Nokia features;
-Daylight readable
-Glance
-Replaceable shell, like the lower end Nokias had, except make it more grippable (I think it's lame that we have phones that we have to put cases/ skins on, they should be rugged enough stock)
-Wireless charging
that's all I can think of now.

nimblebits

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
NFC support is becoming an in-demand feature and would be nice to have for many Windows fans who want it but can't because of limited phones with this feature.

Some Windows 10 phones should have physical capacitive navigation buttons so we can choose phones with and without for people who have preference over the other.
They don't all have to be touch screen only phones.

It would be good if flagship phones come with a Miracast dongle for use with Continuum. It's cheaper for them than supplying a dedicated continuum dock which can't be used with other devices.

It should have a simple out of the box experience and maybe include a quick start guide of common Cortana commands and how to take full advantage of Continuum :)

Last edited:

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
With a 9+" handspan, I loved the 950XL, except that it will NOT work on Verizon (how I tried...), so I want a 6" phone that has the CDMA channels turned on and certified, first. It'll fit and and it will work; first things first.

Spec-wise, I'd like high end, but will settle for mid-range processor with 3-4 GB of RAM. Wi-Fi 802.11ac is a must. Waterproof and rugged would be a joy, as I've dropped a Lumia in the ocean and cracked 5 others as well as 2 tablets. I break things; it's what I do. Really.

IPS HD display would be lovely. UHD/4K is completely unnecessary as the human eye can't tell the difference, it's merely a spec bragging rights thing.

15+ MP camera with a fast shutter. Camera button is a high want, but the lack is not a deal-breaker.

Removable 3,500+ battery and 128+Gb nano-SIM.

And as an Enterprise guy that travels, Continuum, of course.

Oh yes, and run Windows Mobile!

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
How about Lumia 1520 for screen size & functionality, with ...
  • removable / replaceable battery
  • waterproof (a gasket? or add on case w gasket w a holster)
  • fingerprint scanner (my Lumia 950XL tries to scan my Iris in the dark)
  • w NFC & WM10 wallet for Tap to Pay
  • possibly add 1GB RAM
  • wireless charging (I had the AT&T model)

I loved that phone, would still be using it, BUT battery is @ eol.
I, for one, love the 6" form factor, remove some bezel (shrink it a just a tad), maintain the hardware bottom keys ...

Austin Andelin

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I don't like fingerprint scanners on the back. I've always thought it would be better to have one on the side, maybe between the power and volume buttons? I think the MateBook did this perfectly.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I don't like fingerprint scanners on the back. I've always thought it would be better to have one on the side, maybe between the power and volume buttons? I think the MateBook did this perfectly.
Really? I find it quite natural as my finger falls in place on the back quite easily. I wouldn't mind the side but I'm not sure there is enough surface area to read it correctly.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm the opposite. Front finger print is preferred. Think in terms of humans being the ones with opposable thumb. But to each his own. 🙂

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I've had phones with fingerprint readers on both the front and the back, and based on my experiences I prefer it on the back. As stated here:

I find it quite natural as my finger falls in place on the back quite easily.

The only downside in my opinion to having it on the back is that you cannot use it without picking up the device.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
As a Verizon customer, I'd just be happy with any mid to high end phone being available to me.

If I got a chance to be picky, I'd like expandable storage, great camera, wireless charging, glance. I'd also like an iris scanner. I haven't had a chance to use it yet since the 950 and xl aren't available on Verizon. Seems cool to me.

In the end though, I just want access to a new phone so I don't have to keep buying them from eBay.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had phones with fingerprint readers on both the front and the back, and based on my experiences I prefer it on the back. As stated here:

The only downside in my opinion to having it on the back is that you cannot use it without picking up the device.

Mmm. Good point, though my phone is usually in my hand when I'm using it.
What we need is someone to design a case that has the ability to read your fingerprint anywhere on it's surface. Then we'll all be happy!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos