The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-07-2017 10:05 AM
43 12
tools
    If you check up on WhartonBrooks and their upcoming Cerulean brand, they seem to want feedback on specs and design for new phones.

I'm sure they have one or more models already in the final stages as they are promising a release of hardware this Fall (2016).

But if they want input, I know the WC community has plenty.

What is your dream device? What SoC? Do you want rugged? Sleek? What type of screen? What size? Do you want a great camera? Do you want a gaming beast? High, mid or budget range? What do you need in a device? What floats your boat?

Share with us below.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 08-26-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo monkey
    kaktus1389 and libra89 like this.
    08-26-2016 03:08 PM
    Rugged, various sizes, great camera, but all that is meaningless if there is no apps backing all that, Microsoft should work hard on that
    RumoredNow, aximtreo and jmshub like this.
    08-26-2016 03:15 PM
    I'd say high mid-range or high end.
    • Qualcomm SnapDragon 625
    • Continuum
    • 2-3 GB RAM
    • 5 - 5.5 inch AMOLED screen
    • 15 MP rear camera, 5MP front facing camera
    • Fingerprint/iris scanner
    • USB Type C
    • Unique design
    RumoredNow and dbs2 like this.
    08-26-2016 03:22 PM
    Maybe there is also a generation gap but past my 50th birthday I don't need too many apps and am quite satisfied with what MS is offering for a W10 mobile.
    Also, I might be wrong but at least in Hungary I see mostly elderly people using WP. But this is a subjective observation, not a statistically confirmed one.
    dbs2, aximtreo, RumoredNow and 2 others like this.
    08-26-2016 03:23 PM
    I'd say high mid-range or high end.
    • Qualcomm SnapDragon 625
    • Continuum
    • 2-3 GB RAM
    • 5 - 5.5 inch AMOLED screen
    • 15 MP rear camera, 5MP front facing camera
    • Fingerprint/iris scanner
    • USB Type C
    • Unique design
    You know, I could have written that exact same thing...

Just a couple differences.
    • I'm a confirmed IPS LCD fan. 1920x1080 on a 5.5" display yields about 400ppi and that would look sharp without slurping battery. License ClearBlack from Microsoft, others have done it (Coship).
    • Quality lens: strike a deal with Carl Zeiss. They need a new phone OEM, get them onboard. True 16:9 sensor. License PureView from Microsoft. It's not always the megapixels, it's how you use them. 12 -16 MP is fine if it is tuned. They need to write, support and update camera firmware. Maybe a dedicated in-house camera app.
    • 3500 mAh battery for endurance.

Other than that, I agree. I don't need a "Galaxy/iPhone slayer." I need a solid all around that delivers great features. Continuum with 3GB RAM on a 625 SoC suits me fine. I could do a LOT with a device like that.
    aximtreo, kaktus1389 and Rinsun like this.
    08-26-2016 03:36 PM
    You know, I could have written that exact same thing...

Just a couple differences.
    • I'm a confirmed IPS LCD fan. 1920x1080 on a 5.5" display yields about 400ppi and that would look sharp without slurping battery. License ClearBlack from Microsoft, others have done it (Coship).
    • Quality lens: strike a deal with Carl Zeiss. They need a new phone OEM, get them onboard. True 16:9 sensor. License PureView from Microsoft. It's not always the megapixels, it's how you use them. 12 -16 MP is fine if it is tuned. They need to write, support and update camera firmware. Maybe a dedicated in-house camera app.
    • 3500 mAh battery for endurance.

Other than that, I agree. I don't need a "Galaxy/iPhone slayer." I need a solid all around that delivers great features. Continuum with 3GB RAM on a 625 SoC suits me fine. I could do a LOT with a device like that.
    Whoops, forgot the battery, but I do prefer 3000+ mAh batteries too I am okay IPS LCD so I have nothing against that too :P
    And I think that could be a Galaxy/iPhone slayer if it was marketed and priced properly.
    aximtreo, RumoredNow and dbs2 like this.
    08-26-2016 03:42 PM
    well as for me, MS10 os has always been productivity oriented.. am not into gaming that much but for the sake of continuum that is getting better, a good processor and GPU should be under the hood. Again unlike android guys, wp should not be about the spec sheet but daily adequate performance. we dont need a 6gb ram in a smartphone considering the os runs perfectly on a 1 gb ram. Again for the sake of continuum I guess 3-4 gigs is just enough. What we seriously need though is good hadware. This is the one thing pulling us back. I wont complain about the apps as things are getting around well and plus we have a great browser that offers great alternative to some of the apps.
    Just do a great camera and we've come to learn that huge pixel count is not always the way, 13 mp not bad, 64 bit processor 610/617snapd, storage not less than 32 with option for expansion. Just that
    kaktus1389, aximtreo, dbs2 and 1 others like this.
    08-26-2016 03:42 PM
    I would like a phone that:
    - takes "phenomenal" Pictures and Videos, with "tap to focus, tap to shoot" mode for photos.
    - gives me immediate access to all of my: OneNote notebook/pages; Office files & documents; photos.
    - is compatible to all other devices (e.g. home security/automation, automotive automation, public automation, automated services of all kinds)
    - excellent viewing, in sunlight.
    - waterproof.
    - durable, but attractive.
    - secure.
    - reliable.
    - quick changing batteries.
    - quick access buttons on case, with "pin to button 1..2...3" menu.
    Mach_E, Rinsun, horseybob and 3 others like this.
    08-26-2016 04:30 PM
    waterproof.
    Yep. I forgot that part. Water/Dust/Drop protection would be groovy.
    horseybob, mtf1380 and aximtreo like this.
    08-26-2016 04:37 PM
    So... Everybody is at the intersection of affordability and Continuum?

How about a budget device? A gee-wiz Camera Phone? A Gaming Monster?

How about a solid value? Something that is an upgrade to the Lumia 5xx and 6xx series. Heck, even a small bump up over 830.

I don't think we've ever seen a Snapdragon 415 device on this platform. It opens up a lot of potential.
    • Snapdragon 415 (1.4 GHz Octa-Core w/ Adreno 405, 64 bit, Coretex A53)
    • 4.7" IPS LCD, 720 x 1280 pixels, (approx. 312ppi), ClearBlack, Gorilla Glass 3, 2.5d
    • 16 GB internal storage , 2 GB RAM
    • microSD UHS-I up to 256 GB
    • LTE cat4 (150/50) and don't stint on the bands, make this a world phone in a single variant
    • True Dual SIM, ditch the Adaptive Tray which forces a choice between 2 SIMs or 1 SIM + SD
    • Rear Camera: 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm, Carl Zeiss optics, OIS, autofocus, dual LED flash (dual tone), 1/3.4" sensor size, PureView technology, True 16:9 sensor, Backside-illuminated image sensor, 10 cm minimum focus, 1080p@30fps, stereo sound rec
    • Front Camera: 5 MP wide angle, f/2.2, 1080p video
    • Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, DLNA, hotspot
    • Bluetooth v4.1, A2DP, LE
    • NFC
    • Qi Wireless Charging
    • microUSB v2.0, Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 (If it is possible to enable USB OTG do it)
    • FM radio
    • Accelerometer, Gyro, Proximity, Compass, SensorCore
    • Removable back and 2500 mAh battery

Could be a hero phone for the platform if it is priced competitively. A standout in the Mid Range.
    libra89 and dbs2 like this.
    08-27-2016 02:08 PM
    ips 1080p 4,7 screen
    Snapdragon 6**, quad core
    2gb ram
    3000mah and up removable + a second non removable mini battery ~200mah for antitheft purpose
    Good cameras like the the 950 (slow motion capable) but I could do with 12 and 3 mp for reduced cost + xenon flash
    32gb memory + dedicated card slot
    2 4g sims cat4
    Water resistant
    Cool design like the 830 and steady like the s7 edge
    Finger tip scanner
    Last edited by Ntei; 08-27-2016 at 03:00 PM.
    08-27-2016 02:47 PM
    xenon flash
    That is very nice. I used it briefly on a Lumia 928. The tones are very well done under that flash.
    aximtreo likes this.
    08-27-2016 04:03 PM
    Everything the 950 XL has, even the dual SIM

PLUS

Battery life like the 1520
    Better sound (speaker and in-call)
    Fingerprint scanner
    Less prone to running hot
    Case that doesn't creak
    Buttons that don't have sharp edges

Well, that, and apps apps apps. :D
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    08-27-2016 04:54 PM
    I like the 950 xl but would really like the finger print scanner added to it. Really miss the scanner integration found in ios.

Sent from mTalk
    RumoredNow and Joe920 like this.
    08-27-2016 04:56 PM
    I could spin these out all day...

Budget Device:
    • Snapdragon 212 (Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7 with Adreno 304) or Next Gen 2xx when available
    • 16GB internal Storage, 1GB RAM
    • Dual SIM Adaptive Tray, microSIM + nanoSIM or microSIM + microSD
    • microSD UHS-I up to 256 GB
    • LTE cat4, open up that GSM/LTE radio (world phone in one variant is the way to go)
    • 4.5" IPS LCD, 640 x 1136 pixels, (approx. 290ppi), ClearBlack, Dragontrail Glass
    • Rear Camera: 8 MP, f/2.2, 28mm, autofocus, LED flash, 1/4" sensor size, 1080p@30fps, rear mic for audio recording
    • Front Camera: 3MP wide angle, f/2.4, 720p@30fps
    • Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, DLNA, hotspot
    • Bluetooth v4.1, A2DP, LE
    • microUSB v2.0, Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 (If it is possible to enable USB OTG do it)
    • Non-replaceable Li-Ion 2000 mAh battery
    • Polycarbonate Uni-Body (think L920)
    • Black, White, Gray, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple

If you could bring that in at $150 USD or less...

Who is down for this???
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09-03-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-03-2016 11:58 AM
    How about a normal lineup just for starters? Start having a budget phone, a midranger, a highend, a crazy highend.

Do some decent design and put some decent batteries.

Then market them as hell. In this overcrowded market only marketing will sell, we don't know if they have the money, it sure looks like they don't...if that's the case we'll have the next BLU company, i.e. decent phones that won't sell much.

What I want to say is that you are proposing a lot of hardware configurations, nothing new about them. They are ok.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-09-2016 04:09 AM
    I agree Paolo...

But it's still fun to try and guess what would sell and try and get feedback on it.

The press that WhartonBrooks and Cerulean put out states:
    The innovations we are bringing to our devices will be the most disruptive since the advent of the smartphone in 2000. The key to our success is the incorporation of your feedback into our products. We want you to love our products and enjoy the experience. Our customers (current and future) have direct access to our engineers, developers, and support teams. This technological disruption (our new path for consumers) is guiding the development of WhartonBrooks and our Cerulean smartphones. With an unbelievable drive to succeed, WhartonBrooks strives to create the best devices for our customers.
    They seem to be ground up guided by fans of the platform and willing to listen.

But hey, I'm just interested and trying to create some buzz while we wait to see what starts unfolding this fall.
    aximtreo and Paolo Ferrazza like this.
    09-09-2016 12:00 PM
    Headphone jack!
    Timbre70, libra89, Joe920 and 4 others like this.
    09-09-2016 08:27 PM
    I would really like to have a Sony Xperia XZ running WM.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-09-2016 09:33 PM
    Dual cameras would be great. My job gave me an LG G5, and I thought the dual cameras were cool but nothing useful at first. I took it with me on a trip out of the country for a couple of weeks and was amazed at how useful the wide angle camera was. It took amazing landscape photos, and made group photos easy without needing to cram people into the photo. It was great for capturing real moments without needing to stop the moment and get people to squeeze together. Very useful feature. And fast.

If I could get a second camera for wide angle photos, I'd be happy.

And as a much needed bonus: fast picture-taking. My Icon is unbearably slow at focusing and taking photos.
    aximtreo and RumoredNow like this.
    09-10-2016 11:12 PM
    I really think there is a missed opportunity if nobody licenses Lumia Camera Classic from Microsoft to put on a 3rd party phone.
    Guytronic, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    09-11-2016 12:38 AM
    Darn, I was giddy reading all these great ideas when I got to the last posting as of this reading and closed this and had to go back to the real world. Drats.

My phone would have:

5.7 - 6" screen
    Removable battery and SD card slot.
    3400 mah battery
    Solid well written apps. Did I mention apps?
    Speed but not at the expense of making it too expensive.
    Dedicated camera button
    Sounds like my 950XL doesn't it?

I'm off to see the Wizard!!!!!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-11-2016 10:31 AM
    @RumoredNow --Thanks for starting these threads.

At this point the Windows 10 Mobile OS released on the hardware out there now is not capable of utilizing more than 3GB of RAM. I don't believe it needs that much either. So no use needing more than that. I do think it would be good to see an x86 soc out there with Windows Mobile though.

I like large screens but not when I have hold it in my hand every day. Continuum like features need to be there. For me any device above a 5.2" screen size I find can be uncomfortable. Unless they can fit a 5.5" screen into a lumia 950 size body.

Fingerprint scanner is almost norm now. I'd like to see them do something cool bringing the capacitive back windows and search buttons back, but making the windows button being also the finger print scanner.

I like thin phones. At or below 7.5mm is good enough. I don't care what it is made of as long as aesthetically it's pleasing to use and hold. Light weight is always better and will take drops better to being light.

Stereo speakers. LED notification and the option to enable that over the current full screen on notifications. Or, I would love to see a glance screen alert notification option incorporated in there too. Surprised that is not available yet. Anything to save those precious battery minutes.

That's all for now.
    RumoredNow and Blake Seaman like this.
    09-26-2016 04:46 PM
    Working for a carrier, I see a lot of phones that do all kinds of quirky things. There are some features that are awesome, and others that are weird. I'd say for me, my perfect phone wouldn't need to be anything super thin or light. I'm fine with a brick, as long as that weight is going toward a great battery. LG G5 and V10 are pathetic with battery life. I have a second phone that's a G5 and the battery drains faster than the Galaxy S6, which was terrible as well. Give me good battery life. If the screen needs to be a slightly lower res to achieve that, I'm fine. 1080p and 1440p are not that far off for me. I like the new phone displays that are super high res, but I also don't like watching my battery percentage drop so rapidly.

I also like the fingerprint sensor concept. Iris scanner is great for Windows Hello, but maybe not always the quickest way to go. I like the placement on the back of phones like Nexus and LG. It's easy to hold and unlock my phone. But if the phone is sitting on the table, you have to pick it up fully to unlock with finger. Apple had a pretty smart idea putting it on the front, and it is ergonomic as well, but it also takes up vertical space on the phone, making the phone a little taller. Pros and cons to everything. I'm fine with either way. Just don't go the method of the Moto Z and put the sensor on the front and also not utilize it as a home button. It confuses people.

Camera is probably what I am most picky about. I live and die by good Lumia cameras. It would take a lot to convince me a non-Nokia/Microsoft phone could be better. But I really want a quick shutter speed. iPhone and Samsung are great at this. LG, too. Windows Phones are super slow. I miss so many great moments because of the slow camera and how long it takes to process photos.

A unique design would be awesome, but not the most important feature for me. But it will be in order to win over new users. Everyone likes an attractive device. It increases perceived value.

Expandable storage is not a must, but if it isn't available, 64GB would be idea for internal storage, just to be safe.

I don't need a gimmick like cartridges or magnetic back plates. If the phone will be modular, it needs to be intuitive and supported long term. Moto Mods are cool, but no one is really buying them. LG "Friends" never took off at all. If there is something modular, it would need to make sense. No need to jump into an idea just because it is cool. It needs to be sustainable and scalable.

Not something WhatrtonBrooks can control, or any OEM, but the inconsistency and glitchiness of Windows 10 Mobile needs to stop. I encounter problems daily, and it is frustrating to see common things not work well, or see Android phones or iPhones doing simple tasks when I'm struggling because my keyboard decides it doesn't want to backspace when typing an email, or even send it after pressing the send button. Small, but very important details like that need to change. That's on MS to fix.

That's all I can really think of for now. I see a lot of gimmicks on phones, daily. People want a phone they can rely on and do what they want it to when it needs to. The fundamentals come first. The fancy stuff can come later.
    RumoredNow and horseybob like this.
    09-26-2016 05:43 PM
    The most important to me is, a 1080p IPS LCD screen. Size should between 5 to 6 inches.
    DO NOT USE AMOLED, that's a disaster. I hate display colors from both L930 and L1020, but love L1520. And the longevity and durability of both types of screen are not comparable. IPS LCD is hands down better in terms of lifetime. I need it and love it.

A mid-high end device should use a CPU not less than snapdragon 65x, 3GB or more ram is welcome.
    Hopefully the radio module can support global cellular networks. So many Chinese android phone manufacturer do it already.
    Whether the battery is replaceable or not is no longer very important a factor. But if a phone can do it, this might be a bonus.
    And finally, if the phone offer a camera that the image quality is comparable to the cameras in Lumia flagships, that'll be great.
    RumoredNow and Blake Seaman like this.
    10-15-2016 02:22 AM
43 12