The rumour mill is going crazy this week

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Whatever Microsoft do when it comes to new phone hardware, I've decided that my loyalty to Windows Mobile has another 18 months left in it. By then I'll be due a phone upgrade (the 950 hasn't been an awe inspiring device) and I'll have pledged unwavering loyalty to Microsoft for 8 years.

In the world of technology a lot can happen in 18 months. Hopefully W10M will find some momentum in that time.

We need hardware we can be proud of, an operating system that is rock solid and a major push by Microsoft to get some of those big tech giants (Amazon) and major developers to come and play with us.

Right now we seem to lose apps from the store way faster that they're arriving.

I have no idea what Microsoft are going to do to about the rest of the tech world ignoring their platform, but what MS can do is build fantastic hardware and an awesome OS. If they cover those two bases at least they can say they've done everything they can

casteld73

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^^^this...been a long road. Phone needs to follow my TEPP policy. It MUST do these four things without fail....no freezing no reboots no glitches
Text
Email
Phone [voice]
Pictures [camera]

If any of these cause issues--like a phone freezing when taking a picture of your child...no good.

That said- I have seen dramatic improvements since the launch of Win10Mobile on my 950XL.

I love the phone and all it represents and I do believe that MS is committed to give this one last major push...I love my surface book and truly find Windows 10 leaps and bounds ahead of Mac X. I hope the surface team has something good.

PS- Continuum is a nice idea...but really need to juxtapose windows....It is how we are all programmed to work. everyone is running dual screen if not more these days corporately for a reason. until it can do this continuum makes a poor laptop replacement and I would rather just tow my surface and phone.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry, MS have a plan. They are about to remove all apps from the store that are not using the absolute latest age classification mark. That's right, they aren't just going to set them all to 'Adult' until the devs change it, they're going to forcibly remove them from the store en masse. This month. That'll keep the MS platform candle burning...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that likely going to just infuriate what few devs we still have willing to programme for our platform?

It shouldn't affect the legit developers. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't do like the last time they powerwashed the Store and remove good apps by mistake.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Anything that comes out this year (which would be silly) WILL be rushed, i.e. 950/950 XL launch all over again. Ideally one should learn from their mistakes.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Anything that comes out this year (which would be silly) WILL be rushed, i.e. 950/950 XL launch all over again. Ideally one should learn from their mistakes.

Thing is, my perspective is that hardware wise, there's no major problems, what was rushed and not done particularly well was the software release, and that's really where their effort needs to be placed. I can understand why they'd consider making this coincide with a new phone release, however, I also think it's something which can be gradually released and is really hardware independent.

At the end of the day, they need to address the issues that make choosing windows mobile, a step back. In my opinion, hardware isn't one of them, and a lot of people aren't going to just select windows even if there's some new feature, when there's a severe step backwards in app availability, app quality and future support of the platform.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Thing is, my perspective is that hardware wise, there's no major problems, what was rushed and not done particularly well was the software release, and that's really where their effort needs to be placed. I can understand why they'd consider making this coincide with a new phone release, however, I also think it's something which can be gradually released and is really hardware independent.

At the end of the day, they need to address the issues that make choosing windows mobile, a step back. In my opinion, hardware isn't one of them, and a lot of people aren't going to just select windows even if there's some new feature, when there's a severe step backwards in app availability, app quality and future support of the platform.

Well put and VERY TRUE!

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Remember they put a few hundred into getting Xamarin. They are making plays to enhance the platform. I'm hoping for surface phones.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Remember they put a few hundred into getting Xamarin. They are making plays to enhance the platform. I'm hoping for surface phones.

Remember they put a few billion into getting Nokia, then Nadella gets on board and everything since has been dismantling their acquisition so...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with android?

The answers to that are as varied as the number of people replying and range from nothing to everything.

I'm not sure what post you were responding to though or how this question fits into the theme of the thread which is false rumors about Surface Phone being announced at IFA... Which it obviously was not.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My bet is that it was Continuum and when it did not get the response he thought it would, he stayed quiet.

I never heard for sure what it was, and I'm not sure anyone else knows for sure either. I had also heard it might have been Linux bash on Windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo