Per Mary Jo - Possibly 2018 now...wow.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If you love Windows, and you like the Windows Phone UI and UX design, i really don't see any reason to jump ship now. The app gap thing is blown wayyy out of proportion. I have a Note 5 as a work phone and dont like it at all i would never switch to Android. And literally every app i "need" or use is on Windows 10 mobile.

Wells Fargo
BofA
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
Speed Test
Shazam
OneNote
Word
Weather App
Skype (preview)
Photoshop express
Windows Central

And all the stock apps for W10 work just fine for me including Groove, Messaging, People, Phone, Alarms & Clock, Outlook Mail, Outlook Calendar, etc

All these tech blogers like MJF, Thurrott, Brad Sams say the NEED Android or iPhone to do work, what app is it that they NEED to have that Windows doesnt provide? Snapchat? give me break :)

They need to be in touch with the latest, so when pokemon go comes,or Facebook launches events app, they NEED to have access to it. Cant lag behind competition.

though personally I agree, I have all the apps I need at this moment. but cant ignore the app gap, it is real.for example citrix worxhome that I use is lagging its peer versions on ios and Android

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Ms releasing their phone is highly dependent on UWP becoming a better success. At this point in time they need to push it and get more apps into their ecosystem because no matter what they release people will always harp on the app problem. They also may have a prototype of what they want to do but the tech to mass produce them may not be there, it may require facilities to be upgraded, money has to go into all sorts of things. MS doesn't mass manufacturer their own products likely so it's up to another manufacturer to do the upgrades. This is why prototypes that do crazy stuff can be developed but in the end they may take years before they ever make it to the consumers.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
The reason there is a want for a phone made by MS is the same reason there is a want for a Google made Android... they are just better than 3rd party. Thats why Apple makes and controls all their platform. Under priced gas station phones do nothing but increase market share. Its overall quality that is needed. The X3 is an amazing phone, from what ive seen. BUT... the camera.... If it had a Zeiss lens and Lumia hardware running behind it, that phone would be THE Windows 10 phone. But its an overall average camera in a world where photos are more and more important. If MS waits til late 2017 to release a phone, so be it. Just get it right this time. Polish the OS. Kill the bugs. Add unique features. Storm the Enterprise market. General consumers need to get over it and move to another platform if they don't like that MS isn't bowing to them anymore. The platform isn't dead by any means, all indications truly point to only being geared toward Enterprise. I'm a grown-up that doesn't need to catch Pokemon. But I would love to have one device for all. That's the direction they are going. I want less clutter in my life. One OS for everything. Take your time MS...

Last edited by a moderator:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The app gap thing is blown wayyy out of proportion.

All these tech blogers like MJF, Thurrott, Brad Sams say the NEED Android or iPhone to do work, what app is it that they NEED to have that Windows doesnt provide? Snapchat? give me break :)

It's great that you have all the apps you need here. It's not fair to assume that the apps that others need are just limited to Snapchat. That's also very dismissive.

There are many other apps that have been pulled that are useful and/or needed, such as Mint, for example.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hardware isn't the issue, they can make good hardware, the 950 is a great phone. The problem is the software, pretty ironic given MS past as a software company... W10M while its come along ways, it still just isn't there when compared to iOS/Android. They had something special with WP 7/8/8.1. 10 not so much....

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Come on that's just a flippant a remark, especially when you mention Snapchat like that.

I'm sure I could get to work on a Motorcycle just fine. I mean I don't see why anyone would need a car but obviously a car is just a better experience for most people.

I like MJF. In her own words she's a "normal" and they are the people who decide whether Windows Phone is ultimately a success, not the tech enthusiasts like us.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hardware isn't the issue, they can make good hardware, the 950 is a great phone. The problem is the software, pretty ironic given MS past as a software company... W10M while its come along ways, it still just isn't there when compared to iOS/Android. They had something special with WP 7/8/8.1. 10 not so much....
Windows 10 Mobile has great potential but Microsoft just may have cried wolf one too many times.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

It's both hardware and software. It's just that phones have reached a point where things are sort of very similar. Android and ios already dominate the market. Everyone knows about them, everyone has put their money into their ecosystems. Leaving would be losing all your purchases. Both operating systems are stable, both have similar features that will cover most peoples' needs. And of course all your friends are on one of these. So even if Windows 10 becomes awesome stable, has all the features the other os's have, what exactly would make anyone move over to get the same stuff just wrapped up differently? It will barely get any media attention as people don't care. In fact, how many popular news sites that the average user sees would even mention windows phone? The point is that if you fall behind and you're the little guy jumping up and down trying to get peoples attention, it has to be big. Do you think "same ol" gets peoples' attention? Smartphones are so stagnant right now that this is a good opportunity to draw attention to yourself. Something different, inspiring and creates enough enthusiasm that people will want to try it. And you won't do that with software alone, it will be a combination of innovative hardware/software.

Continuum has the ability to really change things if it can become a true hybrid. A hybrid that can do smartphone,laptop/tablet and desktop and in an easy way. You're not really buying a phone at this point. Next time someone needs a new phone or wants to get a new phone they don't necessarily need to get just a phone, they can stay current by having one device instead of constantly upgraded multiple devices. Microsoft really needs to find the biggest limitations and solve those issues.

Through software they would require to make sure they have a great ecosystem that can make your experience seamless, easy to use, yet allow the complexity that some require. As a simple user I want to get the benefits without fumbling with cables and connecting things. A wireless solution should provide a simple button to tap to approve a connection based on proximity. As an advanced user I want to be able to connect it to any existing accessories and make use of them and get the fastest and customizable experience. Familiarity with other solutions MS provides is pretty important too. If someone thinks they are on a desktop, the UI should show it.

Through hardware the device needs to do as much as the heavy lifting as it can. Don't have a keyboard/mouse with you? Don't have a tv nearby? This is where tech needs to really evolve to do interesting things. It may even require working with other partners to certify accessories. Working with partners to provide accessories everywhere. If you want something to be big you have to take all the extra steps whether it be a technological advancement or through partnerships. You need to simplify the product as much as possible but allow for advanced users to still take full advantage of it.

Heck even in settings they can have a basic and advanced toggle button. Hide the complexity from the users in software. Educate users through software with bubble tips and not reading a user manual.

That's just for the continuum concept of course. They could advance some other feature of phones like holograph projections or who knows.

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
The reason there is a want for a phone made by MS is the same reason there is a want for a Google made Android... they are just better than 3rd party. Thats why Apple makes and controls all their platform. Under priced gas station phones do nothing but increase market share. Its overall quality that is needed. The X3 is an amazing phone, from what ive seen. BUT... the camera.... If it had a Zeiss lens and Lumia hardware running behind it, that phone would be THE Windows 10 phone. But its an overall average camera in a world where photos are more and more important. If MS waits til late 2017 to release a phone, so be it. Just get it right this time. Polish the OS. Kill the bugs. Add unique features. Storm the Enterprise market. General consumers need to get over it and move to another platform if they don't like that MS isn't bowing to them anymore. The platform isn't dead by any means, all indications truly point to only being geared toward Enterprise. I'm a grown-up that doesn't need to catch Pokemon. But I would love to have one device for all. That's the direction they are going. I want less clutter in my life. One OS for everything. Take your time MS...

I get that, but Windows OEM's can't change the OS as much as Android users can, so there's less of a point of a Windows Mobile phone made by Microsoft. What can you imagine a Surface phone doing better/different than the HP Elite X3?

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
If people were really expecting a new Surface phone to be unveiled in New York they must not read much. I am just happy with my 950 XL. I would actually be surprised to see it next fall. Really how much better would it be than a 950 XL? Ok more RAM a little faster chip set that's it. I also have a NOTE 5 which was my daily driver until I switched to the 950 XL. OK it has more RAM and a faster chipset and my 950 XL is twice the phone. Sure we can have more apps but will a new Surface phone get us more? Maybe but not anytime soon. And how many apps do we need? I can honestly say the only app I miss is MLB at bat and that's definitely not a necessity. If I want real productivity and multitasking I am not using my phone. I am using my Surface, Laptop or Desktop.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I have quite figured out this fascination with a 'Surface Phone'.

I'm guessing it's to do with styling and the fact it's a MS product? Other than that I really don't see what the big deal is. What do you expect it to do that will be different than say the HP X3?

If/When it becomes available it's going to be far out of reach of most consumers that Nokia brought to Windows Phone anyway so it's really a high end phone priced high end for a small amount of people. It will most likely be targeted at business as well.

So I'm a little confused by all this hype.

What's really required to bring any viability to the market for Window Mobile is a good low to mid range phone with Continuum built in. To me, that will be something to crow about. I know it's unlikely to be a Surface Phone but that's what's needed.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I have quite figured out this fascination with a 'Surface Phone'.

I'm guessing it's to do with styling and the fact it's a MS product? Other than that I really don't see what the big deal is. What do you expect it to do that will be different than say the HP X3?

If/When it becomes available it's going to be far out of reach of most consumers that Nokia brought to Windows Phone anyway so it's really a high end phone priced high end for a small amount of people. It will most likely be targeted at business as well.

So I'm a little confused by all this hype.

What's really required to bring any viability to the market for Window Mobile is a good low to mid range phone with Continuum built in. To me, that will be something to crow about. I know it's unlikely to be a Surface Phone but that's what's needed.
I think they're hoping for some kind of miraculous halo effect.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I just got my 950 six weeks ago. I can wait until 2018 for a Surface Phone.

I waited on the 950 because, on release, it was overpriced and the software was a mess. Regular stuff didn't work and the battery life was atrocious. Reviewers rightfully crucified it for these reasons. Now, after a year of software updates, it is (mostly) bug free and gets acceptable battery life.

Why not give MS a chance to actually get things right on a Surface Phone, out of the starting gate? The 950 line, the X3, and other upcoming third party phones will be plenty for the next year or two.

MS might also use the time to create a truly unique selling point. If Continuum is their bet on the future, they need to make it as robust (running anything you can on a real desktop) and simple (i.e. wireless, no dongle) as possible.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
That would make 3 "superphones" in the market. I don't understand what people are expecting from the Surface Unicorn. Unless it brews coffee, these other phones have the same capabilities. In fact, the Acer and HP ship with docks and/or keyboards, the Alcatel will be outfitted with VR Goggles. I understand the HP is having camera issues but that's software. The OS will be identical including the missing apps so it's really about hardware. I'm sensing a letdown of biblical proportions as well as moaning and crying worse than when WP7 wouldn't upgrade to WP8. Laura and the fellas, I wouldn't want to be you.

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider a super-phone. The HP is much too big of a phone for me, so this one is super in size too. Every review I've read about the Acer super-phone has criticized for it being creaky. I already have this feature on my 950. I would like a realistically sized for me (5.2-5.5 inch) with decent build quality. That is a lot to ask for in 2016.
Not complaining though, I still like my 950 a great deal.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I willl keep holding out. I committed to use an iphone for a year. I am less than a month into it, and I do really miss W10. It is smooth and polished, but ultimately not interesting, and doesn't give instant access to the info like live tiles do (widgets are not an acceptable replacement).

I'm hoping that something interesting and exciting comes out from Microsoft or WhartonBrooks/Cerulean by this time next year. I will most likely keep using this iphone until then. I can't see myself liking it enough to switch for good, but I guess a lot can change in a year.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, I guess it depends on what you consider a super-phone. The HP is much too big of a phone for me, so this one is super in size too. Every review I've read about the Acer super-phone has criticized for it being creaky. I already have this feature on my 950. I would like a realistically sized for me (5.2-5.5 inch) with decent build quality. That is a lot to ask for in 2016.
Not complaining though, I still like my 950 a great deal.
Specs are the first thing enthusiasts look at even though a mid-ranger like the Alcatel Fierce XL runs great with 2GB of RAM and the 640 is more than serviceable with just 1GB. Still, 3 or 4 gigs makes for great ad copy. Processor and GPU specs are for the hard-core geeks, nobody can truly appreciate a nanosecond speed difference in computational tasks. Metal builds may be "premium" but it puts a strain on engineering to get optimal RF. A plastic body makes for better reception but you may get the creaking you alluded to and that won't sit well with some. To me, USB-C, Continuum and USB-OTG are the main ingredients for any self-respecting flagship phone. Also overlooked sometimes is audio quality. It is a phone after all and calls should be loud and free of distortion whether you're on the earpiece or speakerphone. I do agree with you that 5-5.2 is the sweet spot for display size. I had both the 950 and 950 XL at one point and the button placement on the XL was simply too moronic to justify the larger screen. I'm waiting on the Idol 4 S before I make a final judgment on which device to carry. Creakiness and all, the Acer is my front-runner right now. The sounds that rig makes are phenomenal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss