Surface Phone in late 2017?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Found this and thought it was interesting. They say it's a reliable source. We'll see I guess.

Surface Phone Info

This is indeed interesting stuff. Not too surprising. I know that Daniel Rubino has mentioned that Microsoft has been testing multiple prototypes. Possibly even releasing multiple models when all is said and done.

Last we heard from Daniel & Mary Jo Foley, it may have even been pushed to a 2018 release.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
REALLY hope we don't have to wait until 2018. But I guess it's better to release it when it's actually ready rather than rushing something out that isn't ready for release.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Surface Phone looking good.

Somehow I doubt that is anything but click-baiting rumours.

Edit:
It says "Our sources have confirmed that Surface Phone launch is delayed now to late 2017. It will now come running Windows 10 Mobile focused Redstone 3 out of the box.".
Late 17 is a safe bet for any phone, if there will be one at all. It also means that most of the speculation on the specs is moot either way.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site

lol @ "very good sources". That quote from above is lifted directly from that "article".

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

That was my intention, ;-)

Seems interesting that they seem to know about the RAM variants' and that 1 6GB version can run X86 with continuum.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
longer it takes the better, no need to rush for surface mobile device, surface devices are game changing which will let other manufacturers follow suit or at least try to

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
longer it takes the better, no need to rush for surface mobile device, surface devices are game changing which will let other manufacturers follow suit or at least try to

But at the same time if they take too long there will be no more apps left in the Windows store, especially at the rate they are dropping. I do tend to agree with you though.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, a device with given specs can definitely arrive too late - "too little too late", in other words.

A Surface device won't be about specs. Just like the Surface Studio, and Surface Book are not about specs. It's about creating a new category. I don't know what specs the Surface Mobile device will have. But I do know it'll be something creative and category defining.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
But it WILL be about specs, regardless of what you think. And microsoft is not creating a new category - that is all marketing speak a la Apple.

You even admit to it yourself: You think it will be "category defining".

But the reality is, that a year from now, those specs in the article will be less than impressive. And I'm not alone in thinking that if they make a "Surface" phone, with all the features dreamt up by that site and others, it better have the specs to match. Especially since it will likely be just a tad on the expensive side.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
A Surface device won't be about specs. Just like the Surface Studio, and Surface Book are not about specs. It's about creating a new category. I don't know what specs the Surface Mobile device will have. But I do know it'll be something creative and category defining.

Yah I heard it will have augmented mixed reality by providing a unique screen over the users face.

This is one of the prototypes leaked.

funny-picture-1297617006.jpg

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
If Microsoft creates a smartphone, with top quality and the features of Windows 10, then I am sold. Having said that though, I do not believe this would be enough to turn the market. Microsoft needs one more thing, some new feature that will make the Surface Phone attractive to the masses.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about the legitimacy of these rumors, but that render is ugly af.

To each his own, I like the clean, industrial look (sans the baby blue)
Probably why they make so many different car models/colors.

IF you scroll down, there are multiple pictures / articles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss