04-05-2017 12:37 AM
70 123
tools
    Found this and thought it was interesting. They say it's a reliable source. We'll see I guess.

Surface Phone Info
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    11-29-2016 11:22 AM
    Found this and thought it was interesting. They say it's a reliable source. We'll see I guess.

Surface Phone Info
    This is indeed interesting stuff. Not too surprising. I know that Daniel Rubino has mentioned that Microsoft has been testing multiple prototypes. Possibly even releasing multiple models when all is said and done.

Last we heard from Daniel & Mary Jo Foley, it may have even been pushed to a 2018 release.
    11-29-2016 11:32 AM
    REALLY hope we don't have to wait until 2018. But I guess it's better to release it when it's actually ready rather than rushing something out that isn't ready for release.
    Shamshi-Adad and bambuco like this.
    11-29-2016 11:56 AM
    11-29-2016 03:17 PM
    Somehow I doubt that is anything but click-baiting rumours.

Edit:
    It says "Our sources have confirmed that Surface Phone launch is delayed now to late 2017. It will now come running Windows 10 Mobile focused Redstone 3 out of the box.".
    Late 17 is a safe bet for any phone, if there will be one at all. It also means that most of the speculation on the specs is moot either way.
    bambuco likes this.
    11-29-2016 03:19 PM
    Very good sources, read carefully.
    vEEP pEEP likes this.
    11-29-2016 03:23 PM
    lol @ "very good sources". That quote from above is lifted directly from that "article".
    vEEP pEEP likes this.
    11-29-2016 03:26 PM
    That was my intention, ;-)

Seems interesting that they seem to know about the RAM variants' and that 1 6GB version can run X86 with continuum.
    11-29-2016 03:29 PM
    i am trying to stay rational about it.
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-30-2016 09:14 AM
    longer it takes the better, no need to rush for surface mobile device, surface devices are game changing which will let other manufacturers follow suit or at least try to
    11-30-2016 12:39 PM
    longer it takes the better, no need to rush for surface mobile device, surface devices are game changing which will let other manufacturers follow suit or at least try to
    Agreed.

A Surface Mobile device will arrive exactly when it is supposed to. Not a moment early or late.
    11-30-2016 12:41 PM
    Agreed.

A Surface Mobile device will arrive exactly when it is supposed to. Not a moment early or late.
    Well, a device with given specs can definitely arrive too late - "too little too late", in other words.
    11-30-2016 01:51 PM
    But at the same time if they take too long there will be no more apps left in the Windows store, especially at the rate they are dropping. I do tend to agree with you though.
    libra89 and Nolan Wood like this.
    11-30-2016 02:07 PM
    Well, a device with given specs can definitely arrive too late - "too little too late", in other words.
    A Surface device won't be about specs. Just like the Surface Studio, and Surface Book are not about specs. It's about creating a new category. I don't know what specs the Surface Mobile device will have. But I do know it'll be something creative and category defining.
    11-30-2016 03:42 PM
    But it WILL be about specs, regardless of what you think. And microsoft is not creating a new category - that is all marketing speak a la Apple.

You even admit to it yourself: You think it will be "category defining".

But the reality is, that a year from now, those specs in the article will be less than impressive. And I'm not alone in thinking that if they make a "Surface" phone, with all the features dreamt up by that site and others, it better have the specs to match. Especially since it will likely be just a tad on the expensive side.
    11-30-2016 04:28 PM
    A Surface device won't be about specs. Just like the Surface Studio, and Surface Book are not about specs. It's about creating a new category. I don't know what specs the Surface Mobile device will have. But I do know it'll be something creative and category defining.
    Yah I heard it will have augmented mixed reality by providing a unique screen over the users face.

This is one of the prototypes leaked.

funny-picture-1297617006.jpg
    11-30-2016 04:30 PM
    LOL, he looks like the drummer from U2.
    11-30-2016 04:31 PM
    If Microsoft creates a smartphone, with top quality and the features of Windows 10, then I am sold. Having said that though, I do not believe this would be enough to turn the market. Microsoft needs one more thing, some new feature that will make the Surface Phone attractive to the masses.
    Player Piano likes this.
    11-30-2016 04:39 PM
    I don't know about the legitimacy of these rumors, but that render is ugly af.
    11-30-2016 07:01 PM
    I don't know about the legitimacy of these rumors, but that render is ugly af.
    To each his own, I like the clean, industrial look (sans the baby blue)
    Probably why they make so many different car models/colors.

IF you scroll down, there are multiple pictures / articles.
    Player Piano and aximtreo like this.
    11-30-2016 07:47 PM
    But it WILL be about specs, regardless of what you think. And microsoft is not creating a new category - that is all marketing speak a la Apple.
    You even admit to it yourself: You think it will be "category defining".
    But the reality is, that a year from now, those specs in the article will be less than impressive. And I'm not alone in thinking that if they make a "Surface" phone, with all the features dreamt up by that site and others, it better have the specs to match. Especially since it will likely be just a tad on the expensive side.
    The specs in the article are meaningless. And Apple has nothing to do with this. If you don't know what i'm talking about, you haven't been observing the direction that Microsoft has been going with it's hardware.

The Microsoft Surface division is not about creating rivals for current hardware. They're about defining new categories and setting new standards for OEMs. I've cited two examples, the Surface Book and the Surface Studio. Both category defining. Both unprecedented in their respective markets. Surface Mobile will be the same way. I don't know what the big innovation will be - but I can guarantee you that if the device comes to market, it will be innovative.

They're not trying to create a iPhone or Android competitor. They're not trying to create a successor to the Lumia 950/XL. They're trying to take Mobile technology to the next level.
    12-01-2016 12:48 AM
    nokiapoweruser.com - LOL :D
    12-01-2016 04:53 AM
    The specs in the article are meaningless.
    That was the point.

And Apple has nothing to do with this. If you don't know what i'm talking about, you haven't been observing the direction that Microsoft has been going with it's hardware.
    It was the argument that was Apple-esque. Not the phone.
    12-01-2016 06:21 AM
    It was the argument that was Apple-esque. Not the phone.
    Microsoft's hardware creation philosophy is not a marketing ploy. In fact, judging by their production #'s and pricing, they don't even seem to be targeting a massive consumer market share.

They are literally creating new categories of devices. Apple has made the same type of laptop, tablet, desktop, and phone for a decade. Microsoft has created new types of products. And that's what a Surface Mobile will be.
    Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    12-01-2016 09:21 AM
    Suure. A smart phone with a bit of improved "Surface" features is "creating a new category".

Seriously, I would love a Surface phone, but to claim that "specs doesn't matter" is obviously not true - and that was part of the Apple-esque argument. It does matter.
    Vasil Dechkov likes this.
    12-01-2016 09:32 AM
70 123