06-05-2017 10:37 PM
202 ... 56789
tools
    Well if it is, he's jumping the gun. Its not ready in any form yet for release. He'd have no way of testing any hardware, and we've no idea how long cshell will take to release.
    How do you know this?
    05-14-2017 06:37 PM
    How do you know this?
    Could be a bluff I suppose, but running 7zip etc on test hardware doesn't give the impression its ready. Plus both QUALCOMM and MS has said the first machines wont come till late this year (and MS has said "phone are not a priority). Also the UWP platform needs growing before WoA phones on the market would be a great proposition.

I could be wrong, but looking at what we do know, planning a WoA phone seems premature unless cerulean know a lot of things we don't.
    Nate W likes this.
    05-14-2017 10:10 PM
    Could be a bluff I suppose, but running 7zip etc on test hardware doesn't give the impression its ready.
    Microsoft did a presentation in I believe December, when they showed Photoshop running on a Snapdragon 820 (modded no doubt). I think the point with 7zip wasn't to give the impression that it was ready, merely to show that the device can install and then run regular Windows software.

Also the UWP platform needs growing before WoA phones on the market would be a great proposition.
    Isn't it partially the opposite though? Properly written UWP apps are supposedly super-easy to adapt to run on mobile, so really the promise of WoA is flirting with the idea of not having to even convert to UWP. Unless I'm missing something here.
    05-14-2017 10:44 PM
    Isn't it partially the opposite though? Properly written UWP apps are supposedly super-easy to adapt to run on mobile, so really the promise of WoA is flirting with the idea of not having to even convert to UWP. Unless I'm missing something here.
    Centennial apps and win32 don't easily adapt. There's a whole porting process that Kodi, is for example going through. First they centennial bridge, then they port to UWP proper.

Check out the article on the mainpage on Kodi, to see a little of the process.

It's made simpler by MS, but its not just a matter of clicking a few buttons, you need to convert your APIs, device and port calls etc.

The promise of WoA, as far as I can tell is the chipset. By putting arm chips into tablets, notebooks, and hybrids, windows devices gain all their hardware benefits - slimmer forms, longer battery life, cheaper price points, built in LTE/telephony and GPS.

In this way, it serves as windows s does to the centennial bridge, to the islandwood bridge (ios ports). Developers can port their mobility focused ios software via the islandwood bridge, and then code for all three platforms via xamarin 2. Cheap tablets, hybrids and laptops all with always connected LTE, calling/SMS and GPS is a motive for ios developers to create full UWP apps, the same way windows s is a motive for win32 developers to at least come halfway via islandwood.

UWP is the future. It's just a while to get there. WoA serves as another bridge for legacy software, whilst encouraging non-win32 developers on ios to get their arses over to the windows platform.

MSFT doesn't want everyone to stay on win32. It's just a big thing to adapt to, so they are creating all these bridges, software and hardware.

WoA tablets in themselves are a 'bridge' to smaller devices. You'll note windows proper is slowly scaling smaller. First surface. Next will be surface mini or similar.

All going well the windows store should look much healthier next year, especially late next year, including for existing windows 10 mobile users.
    05-15-2017 12:25 AM
    ...planning a WoA phone seems premature unless cerulean know a lot of things we don't.
    Considering that they (Wharton Brooks/Cerulean) are a Microsoft Partner and are working with a Microsoft Partner ODM (Coship), they quite likely do know more than I do about the state and readiness of W10Arm. I'd also believe that whatever comes of the "survey" an actual device would be 6-8 months away at best.
    05-15-2017 06:33 AM
    Considering that they (Wharton Brooks/Cerulean) are a Microsoft Partner and are working with a Microsoft Partner ODM (Coship), they quite likely do know more than I do about the state and readiness of W10Arm. I'd also believe that whatever comes of the "survey" an actual device would be 6-8 months away at best.
    Well if its after the release of windows on arm, and it has a useable UI on the small form factor why not. Guess we'll see. However if MS releases WoA in a form that can go on smartphones, we probably won't have to worry too much about OEM's. Still think myself, tablets and notebooks should come first, but we'll see.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-15-2017 07:14 AM
    @RumoredNow
    Looks like Greg is taking a vote. I do not use twitter I know you do not either, so I cannot chime in, but those here on the forums still listening go chime in over on their twitter page and see what's up.

Here is the question:
    What is a reasonable price for Windows Phone with SD835, 6/128GB, 16MPx2, FP Reader, NFC, Universal SIM. SERIOUSLY, what would you pay.

At the most $500
    $600
    $$700
    $800

Does anyone know their plans after the crowd funding ends? Why the vote posted now?
    Here's the tweet if anyone is interested:

I voted around $800. I was kinda annoyed to see how many people picked the $500 option. He was asking realistically. And compared with the GS8 honestly I think $800 makes sense. 128GB storage and 6GB RAM? You don't even see that in most flagship phones already over $800. People just vote what they WANT to pay. He wasn't asking about that. People are silly.
    Agreed. People are silly. This is why companies don't use twitter polls to determine their pricing.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    05-15-2017 11:12 AM
    came across the cerulean twitter poll by chance, voted 800$ and was disappointed at all the $500 votes. sigh...
    DustinRyan and RumoredNow like this.
    05-16-2017 12:40 AM
    Honestly, I feel the poll is putting the cart before the horse since W10M doesn't even support the 835 nor is it 64-bit so it can't deal with more than 4 GB of RAM. And I feel a phone I can't put a price on those specs since a phone is more than the sum of its parts.
    Last edited by xandros9; 05-19-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-16-2017 12:53 AM
    I agree, and why I asked if we know what their plans are going forward.

Maybe we should expect a new article from @Jason Ward later this week.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    05-16-2017 03:16 AM
    The challenge is getting a phone into the hands of users. Once you accomplish that step 1, then we can see what WB/Cerulean is all about. I want to see what they plan next...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-16-2017 03:28 AM
    The all-in-one VR headset looks like it might be next up...
    Nate W likes this.
    05-16-2017 07:44 AM
    The all-in-one VR headset looks like it might be next up...
    Which all in one VR headset, and where is it going?
    05-16-2017 08:04 AM
    This one, for which they seem to have a dedicated ODM: Images of Cerulean Mobile's planned VR Headset - MS Mobile Show

IMHO, the writer incorrectly confuses this with needing a handset. To me it looks like an all-in-one: meaning everything is inside the headset already [screen(s) {possibly one per eye}/earmuff style audio/SoC/Camera/RAM/storage/etc.] and that accounts for the bulk.

cerulean-vr-2.png
    05-16-2017 11:56 AM
    This one, for which they seem to have a dedicated ODM: Images of Cerulean Mobile's planned VR Headset - MS Mobile Show

IMHO, the writer incorrectly confuses this with needing a handset. To me it looks like an all-in-one: meaning everything is inside the headset already [screen(s) {possibly one per eye}/earmuff style audio/SoC/Camera/RAM/storage/etc.] and that accounts for the bulk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cerulean-VR-2.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	135741
    If it's supposed to support mixed reality...it'll need like 8gb of RAM, and high end intel processor (I think it's i5 and above), some kind of access to internet (wifi?). Obviously that would need a battery too. I guess that might be possible in the size.

Although if you have essentially a whole computer handing off your head, your going to want a way to use it as a conventional computer too probably. There's no keyboard in VR land. And the stylus doesn't work their yet. I mean I guess it could be for games and content only.

UNLESS this is an ARM chip running win10 mobile. Which would have much more limited VR functionality.

I'm honestly a bit confused looking at that. There's no obvious sign of a port though, so whatever it is, it's designed to run on its own.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-16-2017 12:18 PM
    I hope WB/Cerulean keep forward with mobile. Yet I think they need to approach it in a way that they can reach as many Windows Mobile phone users as possible.

I do not know how exactly that would come about, but here is a thought I have.

There are not that many Windows phone users left and not many new ones coming on board as it was said in other posts. So they cannot aim for the percentage left in the market to pick up their new device. I am thinking blindly here, but they probably need to anticipate 1000 more or less people in the regions they are aiming, could support them if they try to release another (consumer focused) device at the right cost. Worse case scenario and that's just to start out. Once released. Where I think they should try to excel at is Software manageability, and firmware manageability for whatever device they have. Most mobile phones since 2015 can have almost every sensor, pixel, component, etc out there if needed. The OS and fw do not always have the components properly aligned with them or optimized. We see this all the time with other OEMs. Microsoft just now in 2017 has seemed to have leveled off their FW updates on the x50 line. If they get good supporting engineers on their side to help integrate the best Windows 10 mobile has to offer now, then that 'Moment' carrying said SoC 617 and 3GB of RAM could operate or seem like a 'mini 950 XL' out of the box.

I guess I am more just excited for Greg and his team to be able to do business in the mobile space. It hits home for me since I am much an enthusiast of, and striving with my own time investing in knowing Windows 10 mobile inside and out. I will keep supporting them as long as they are around :).
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-16-2017 01:37 PM
    the options in this part of the world even less, has deleted the windows phone devices outside of the market, but there's still hope, come on windows "next to the King, the Queen mentioned only blunder".
    Nate W likes this.
    05-17-2017 02:14 AM
    The Cerulean mobile website has been down for quite a long time today. I sometimes go check it out to see if anything new has landed there. I think since before 8:30am ET. It states that it is undergoing routine maintenance...
    05-22-2017 01:12 PM
    They must be giving birth to a new site?? Both have been down since yesterday...or is it just me?
    05-23-2017 02:02 PM
    "Routine maintenance" ATM. But the main site (http://www.whartonbrooks.com/) is fully offline. I don't think that is the way to update a website?
    05-23-2017 03:15 PM
    Annnnnd its dead. Just like the horse everyone keeps beating.
    05-23-2017 05:58 PM
    For those of you interested, update below from MSPU..

"We reached out to WhartonBrooks and they*blamed technical issues due to an SSL certificate installation issue. *They did confirm plans for a “new custom high-spec device” but apparently are still trying to get Microsoft’s support for the venture"
    Nate W and DustinRyan like this.
    05-23-2017 08:34 PM
    They did confirm plans for a “new custom high-spec device” but apparently are still trying to get Microsoft’s support for the venture"
    Wonder what kind of support they need besides funding?
    05-23-2017 09:48 PM
    Wonder what kind of support they need besides funding?
    Support for Windows on ARM, for one.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-24-2017 08:54 AM
    For those of you interested, update below from MSPU..

"We reached out to WhartonBrooks and they*blamed technical issues due to an SSL certificate installation issue. *They did confirm plans for a “new custom high-spec device” but apparently are still trying to get Microsoft’s support for the venture"
    The MSPU article also mentioned "us", kinda...

"With the cooperation of a website which shall remain unnamed, the company managed to create an enormous amount of publicity well out of keeping with the reality of how difficult it is to bring a smartphone to the market, let alone one with a collapsing ecosystem."
    Nate W, libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    05-24-2017 09:14 AM
202 ... 56789