Cerulean Windows Phone - What's Happening?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I read Jason's exhaustive report and I can't help feeling disappointed. My Idol smokes the Moment at every turn and cost me $288 from the Magenta Moron Flying Circus. The kicker is definitely the lack of USB-C. I have a ScreenBeam 2 Continuum Edition and it's simply not in the same league as my wired setup. I'm also wondering how well the 720p is going to play with Continuum and a 1080p monitor. Not having a warm and fuzzy feeling about this.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I read Jason's exhaustive report and I can't help feeling disappointed. My Idol smokes the Moment at every turn and cost me $288 from the Magenta Moron Flying Circus. The kicker is definitely the lack of USB-C. I have a ScreenBeam 2 Continuum Edition and it's simply not in the same league as my wired setup. I'm also wondering how well the 720p is going to play with Continuum and a 1080p monitor. Not having a warm and fuzzy feeling about this.

I give them credit, I really do. Nice to see a WP fan trying to do something positive. After reading the article though, I have to admit disappointment. No way I would give up my Idol4s for that phone. Wish them the best of luck though.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Very interesting. I'll be interested to read a little more into this.

Does anyone think it's possible they will raise the funds required?

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
A million dollars? Quite a feat if they pull it off.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
While the specs aren't bad, they aren't exactly cutting edge either. I hope I'm wrong, but 1.1mil dollars seems wholly unrealistic. The NuAns Neo tried the crowd funding route last year with a goal significantly less than that, and they didn't even come close.

Again, this seems like a pretty good device, but pretty good in an ecosystem whose future is still very cloudy may be too much of a risk for buyers to be willing to take.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Of course Jason's blast on it here
Nice write up. Sad to see yet another glass backed device. I don't even get the allure. The back shouldn't be prone to failure like my son's Note 7 and S7 which replaced it.

I was playing with my work SGS6 yesterday and cannot imagine a 5" screen.

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Again, this seems like a pretty good device, but pretty good in an ecosystem whose future is still very cloudy may be too much of a risk for buyers to be willing to take.

IMHO you have to look at it as investment. NOT an Investment in the future. An investment TO HAVE a future for consumer driven devices for this platform.

Lumia? 650 was their swan song...
HP? Business, all business all the time...
Acer? They cried uncle...
Alcatel? It's a me too retooling of a device with 2 other incarnations. Where's the passion? Idol 4S Windows is an experiment to see if it is worth their time, I'm sure...

What's left?

Surface Phone? IMHO, be prepared for sticker shock when that one finally comes around. Easily $1000 USD or more. Let's be realistic, how many units will that sell?

The time to play hard to please is long past. It's not that hard to see if you follow the story and do the research. It's now or never. This is probably the last chance we have to get a truly dedicated, consumer facing effort going for this platform; perhaps for years to come, perhaps forever. Beggars can't be choosers, right? We shouldn't have to be beggars, but we are. I feel like Oliver Twist in the orphanage, hands outstretched and asking some mean man for another bowl of gruel.

But along comes a man (Greg Murphy) that's risking a LOT on our behalf. Why? To try and accomplish something worthwhile and lasting. Don't disparage that. He's done more than any other fan of a mobile platform has done. That alone is worth celebrating.

Schadenfreude, look it up. Literally: shameful joy. I see a LOT of "fans" with this attitude. It's pleasure derived from another person's misfortune. They are predicting failure for Cerulean, just like they did for NuAns Neo and Coship's efforts. They just want to be "right" and you almost can't blame them. But when does it become a self fulfilling prophecy? Sure the haters are gonna hate, but why do the "fans" have to hate so much too?

C'mon Windows people, let's have faith. Let's show the world we won't die quietly. Let's show the Moment our support. Join me, make a pledge if you can and have a stake in trying to get this thing off the ground. Even Superman had to learn how to walk before he could fly... Be a sponsor and be an advocate. It's so much easier to tear things down than it is to build them up. Don't take the easy way out.

#ThisIsOurMoment #ColorMeCerulean

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
C'mon Windows people, let's have faith. Let's show the world we won't die quietly. Let's show the Moment our support. Join me, make a pledge if you can and have a stake in trying to get this thing off the ground. Even Superman had to learn how to walk before he could fly... Be a sponsor and be an advocate. It's so much easier to tear things down than it is to build them up. Don't take the easy way out.

#ThisIsOurMoment #ColorMeCerulean

If so, @mistagreg should consider having lower level of pledges just to raise the money? Increments down to $10 maybe. People perhaps don't want the Moment... but would like to help get things rolling to spur on the next version?

I'm trying to decide one or two :) Would my parents/mom in law be able to handle continuum to watch say youtube on their tv? Just thinking out loud

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If so, @mistagreg should consider having lower level of pledges just to raise the money? Increments down to $10 maybe. People perhaps don't want the Moment... but would like to help get things rolling to spur on the next version?

I'm trying to decide one or two :) Would my parents/mom in law be able to handle continuum to watch say youtube on their tv? Just thinking out loud

A $10 pledge won't get you a $290 phone. Unless you're on T-Mobile, you're not going to find a cheaper Continuum-enabled phone anywhere. With full factory support anyway.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
A $10 pledge won't get you a $290 phone. Unless you're on T-Mobile, you're not going to find a cheaper Continuum-enabled phone anywhere. With full factory support anyway.

I think they meant more just donate $10 just to support without getting the phone.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya anyone should be able to offer up a donation backing, but I'm not sure what the set increments are. Not everyone who cares enough to support this would be in a position to buy another phone.

So even if they do not get 3900 individual units sold but still reach the dollar mark does that count? I've never supported anything through indiegogo.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
We say that now, but come 45 days from now when they are 100 dollars away from the goal those 10 people that thought that way, even if they wanted to support and just did not want to buy the phone could have helped. Every effort counts, if your effort is to support them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs