The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-05-2017 09:37 PM
202 123 ...
tools
    I was looking forward to the release of the new Cerulean Windows Phone. Haven't seen any news since the cancellation of the press event in September.

Does anyone know anything about the delay? Is it still coming out?
    12-22-2016 02:37 PM
    As far as we know, it's still coming out, but we haven't heard much news lately.

You can follow their twitter www.twitter.com/ceruleanmobile and our forum for updates here.
    12-22-2016 02:52 PM
    Grab the Lumia 950, it's working great
    aximtreo and david ingolo like this.
    12-22-2016 02:54 PM
    Near as we can tell it is delayed while they test and get approval for an expanded cellular radio to cover more carriers and countries. Check here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cer...ff-thread.html
    12-23-2016 06:36 PM
    What do you all think? We know we have no choice but to wait... I bet Cerulean makes a little noise after CES concludes. What do you think?

We also know Microsoft has more time in the pipeline before any big news on their new device(s), HP has no date set if/when a consumer device comes, and Alcatel is still stuck on T-Mobile with the 4s. Maybe Cerulean could use the next several months and sell some cheap decent phones to get people started. I for one (belonging to AT&T) would only buy one if it's certified on AT&T...I'm getting spoiled by the call quality/mms/LTE enhancements from an AT&T 950. Any other thoughts?

Sent from mTalk
    01-03-2017 02:01 PM
    I hope that Cerulean will be available internationally and carrier wide.

No more of this exclusive nonsense with devices...especially when there are windows phone users on other carriers who can't get the Alcatel. We are too small of a user group to have one carrier get the only new worthwhile device out there.

If Cerulean does become a reality, I hope they make their devices available to all carriers. Here is hoping these phones become a reality.
    01-03-2017 04:07 PM
    Maybe not CES, but hopefully MWC...

fingers-crossed.gif
    01-03-2017 09:02 PM
    March would put it Six months or more behind it's original launch - That is a pretty long time in phone world. If it isn't a high/top end device, that's not as bad. Some companies introduced their phones 6 months before they actually were available to purchase, while others pretty much introduce the phone at the same time they launch sales. Let's hope this thing is ready to sell as soon as they reveal it.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    01-06-2017 09:37 AM
    March would put it Six months or more behind it's original launch - That is a pretty long time in phone world. If it isn't a high/top end device, that's not as bad. Some companies introduced their phones 6 months before they actually were available to purchase, while others pretty much introduce the phone at the same time they launch sales. Let's hope this thing is ready to sell as soon as they reveal it.
    Yes..The idol 4s with Windows 10 seemed to take ages...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-06-2017 10:02 AM
    don't you think this company is not real? doesn't make sense why there is radio silence from them.
    thoughts?
    mjyumping likes this.
    01-09-2017 12:40 AM
    don't you think this company is not real? doesn't make sense why there is radio silence from them.
    thoughts?
    Oh, I believe they are very real. It's a small start up with less than 10 people working on it.

Strong evidence suggests their first release will be a rebranded Coship Moly PCphone. Seems Coship has ceded the US market to them (Cerulean). Now it appears they have expanded the mission and are waiting for more radio certifications beyond what Coship had originally procured for the device.

Based on initial information about PCphone from Coship (last spring), the radio would have been narrowly tuned/certified for the NA market along the lines of the Moly W5. See my analysis of Moly W5 here. I wrote, in part:
    The Moly W5 is Factory Unlocked for GSM networks. I used it on an AT&T mvno with the same no issues results as any other compatible device. The radio is tuned as follows:

• 2G GSM Quad Band - B2 (1900) / B3 (1800) / B5 (850) / B8 (900)
    • 3G WDCMA โ€“ B1 (2100) / B2 (1900) / B5 (850)
    • 4G LTE (FDD) โ€“ B2 (1900) / B4 (1700/2100) / B5 (850) / B17 (700)

Overall this is pretty good US coverage, but it could use a bit more roaming capability and Coship could also have extended their market with better Canadian, Caribbean and Latin American support by only adding a few bands. Band 4 (1700/2100) and Band 8 (900) should have been included in the WCDMA frequencies. For LTE it would have been nice to see Band 12 (700) instead of, or alongside, the narrower Band 17. Band 12 is useful on T-Mobile and even AT&T is moving to Band 12 with interoperability for legacy Band 17. LTE should also have included Band 3 (1800), Band 7 (2600) and Band 28 (700) to help round out the Americas Regional support.
    Fast forward to today and the Moly PCphone has an expanded radio, but it shows less NA/LTA capability and more EURO and APAC support due to it being released in Europe as a rebranded Funker and in Japan as a rebranded Mouse Computer.
    2G GSM: Band 2/3/5/8
    3G WCDMA: Band 1/6/8/9/19
    4G FDD-LTE:
    Band 1/2/3/4/7/8/9/19/26/28B
    4G TDD-LTE: Band 38/40/41

I personally heard from someone who should know that:
    ...We are working in 3 countries in the Americas โ€“ it is to be proving challenging for our target timeline. We are also trying to change the bands on the phones to include 13. We have had to rethink this a few times. Our engineers have been testing phones to make sure we can be carrier friendly in several countries and keep Verizon in scope...

...We also had to pause the podcast because details were changing so fast and we did not want to put out false information. We want to tell the play by play story, however we learned that some websites, well one website, was accusing us of trying to deceive people. This was not Windows Central. Microsoft advised us to pause until we launch. (emphasis mine)...

...In short, we are still working very hard to launch our continuum capable phone that is accessible to everyone on as many carriers as possible...

This new enabling and certification of expanded frequencies takes time and money. I'm still very hopefully and waiting patiently for this project to reach fruition.

YMMV
    libra89, nate0, Guytronic and 1 others like this.
    01-09-2017 12:55 PM
    Oh, I believe they are.......
    Thanks for this well informed update!

Sent from mTalk
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-09-2017 11:37 PM
    Their test devices arrived. I wonder if it is one model or two.

https://twitter.com/ceruleanmobile/s...19627240443904
    01-21-2017 11:20 PM

The tweet says they shipped from China 01/21... Looks like 2 of the same to me.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-22-2017 05:43 AM
    I just read this. So, I am curious because the test device arrived and that is the picture we see. In the article before they were waiting for the shipment to test multiple sim cards.
    Now the tweet says waiting on final shipment to send to the testing labs. Does that mean the sim cards worked now they wait again to move the next batch to SW testing?
    libra89 likes this.
    01-22-2017 09:44 AM

Ya. He mentioned should we name them. Them in the sense of the batch or them in the sense of the two in the picture...? So I'm trying to interpret what he meant. Maybe next week we'll get to see some concrete time lines. ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: Sorry for my grammar/spelling errors lately guys...โ˜บ
    Last edited by Nate W; 01-22-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    01-22-2017 03:09 PM
    Maybe one of the models is built for CDMA. Did say they would test on all US carrier sims.
    01-23-2017 05:21 AM
    Maybe one of the models is built for CDMA. Did say they would test on all US carrier sims.
    The word quoted that I read was "several".
    Tim-ANC and RumoredNow like this.
    01-23-2017 06:58 AM
    If the phone looks like the Coship Moly PCphone like "RumoredNow" mentioned, that's a pretty good looking phone. As long as the specs weren't garbage and it was on my carrier, I'd definitely be in line to pick one up.
    01-23-2017 11:14 AM
    Check this post and below: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cer...ml#post3603139

In November they tweeted CDMA and later there is an indication that LTE Band 13 might be included. Now there is the question of whether the costly and lengthy process of certifying for Vzw is being done.

However, if the FCC certifies a device Band 13 capable/compliant they also have a ruling that Vzw cannot bar that device from their network. If there is no official Vzw inclusion for such a device I believe that leaves the door open for a workaround or two.

One would be for the individual consumer to lobby Vzw to add their ESN/IMEI to their database (likely a herculean task).

Another I have heard is that if a Vzw SIM is active (or activated) in a Vzw branded device you can simply move t over to a capable device and it will work.

YMMV. I will say this all academic to me as I've never used Verizon as a carrier.
    nate0, Tim-ANC and libra89 like this.
    01-23-2017 11:17 AM
    Check this post and below: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cer...ml#post3603139

In November they tweeted CDMA and later there is an indication that LTE Band 13 might be included. Now there is the question of whether the costly and lengthy process of certifying for Vzw is being done.

However, if the FCC certifies a device Band 13 capable/compliant they also have a ruling that Vzw cannot bar that device from their network. If there is no official Vzw inclusion for such a device I believe that leaves the door open for a workaround or two.

One would be for the individual consumer to lobby Vzw to add their ESN/IMEI to their database (likely a herculean task).

Another I have heard is that if a Vzw SIM is active (or activated) in a Vzw branded device you can simply move t over to a capable device and it will work.

YMMV. I will say this all academic to me as I've never used Verizon as a carrier.
    Ya, I hope Cerulean targets band 13, and they succeed with VZ as a capable carrier for one of their phones or all if possible. That would be the way to go, a nexus-like start for their line of Windows Phones! Since 2015 there's been nothing new with Windows for big red, so the folks left on their network with old devices could tip the scale easily. I used VZ for a long time, until the 950 came out, and I was fortunate enough to have already bounced from the account when I was on Project FI, so I jumped over to AT&T and been here since. From what I read and knew VZ certified phones were all that could be ACTIVATED on their network. Even if it was cdma capable and had certain frequencies, band 13 had to be certified with VZ and involved time and money. I think it is a different story now, much like you shared above. In where unlocked devices will work but do not necessarily need to be VZ carrier specific (exclusive or tailored in that way) in every way. Much like the Pixel and most nexus devices that are unlocked or sim-unlocked. I also read from users that unlocked VZ capable phones using CDMA were able to obtain VoLTE and wifi calling even though they were not VZ branded. Which, in a way, is more to speak of than even AT&T. We are not talking Google here, but I bet Greg's testing of carrier sim's involves, in a nut shell some of what you stated above. Everything costs time, and with VZ it is both costly and time consuming....I am curious, has anyone checked to see if FCC certified anything for them or even checked the WiFi alliance website lately?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-23-2017 12:03 PM
    This all sounds like it could be promising for Verizon users like myself. Fingers crossed.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-23-2017 12:08 PM
    Thanks for the link. ATT is my carrier but always willing to buy unlocked off contract.
    01-24-2017 03:41 AM
    Until we hear something directly from the manufacturer of the phone, I'm going to treat all mentions of Verizon Band 13 inclusion as extreme speculation. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic. Verizon has never been a proponent of Windows devices. When they did carry them, their sales staff didn't even want to talk to you about them. Mention interest in a Windows device and they would either try and convince you to go with an Android or iOS device or they just wouldn't even bother to talk to you anymore. I literally had one sales person just walk off from me after I told him what I wanted. Since they were the only store in the area that had the phone I wanted, I didn't have much choice other than to seek out another sales person who would actually help me.

I would love a new device on Verizon as it is the one carrier in my area that actually has decent coverage. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint are terrible regardless of what their coverage maps show. I've had the same phone for roughly three years now, which in mobile technology is ancient. If we don't get a new Windows phone on Verizon within the next year, I will probably be jumping ship to Android. Which gives me shivers just thinking about having to go back to a device/OS that will probably self-destruct within 1.5 years.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-24-2017 06:38 AM
    Verizon's sales people suck. I avoid them at all costs.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-24-2017 11:24 AM
202 123 ...