'Stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant"

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...
Could this be talk about a pocketable connected micro-tablet type of thing?
Maybe the Mobile Nations crew will get back from CES with more juicy rumors.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Just name it Mobile or OTG or something. As long as the name embodies the idea of a PC that you can take with you anywhere, truly mobile, then I'd have no quarrel with it.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
So..... are we talking a 2017 launch of this new product? Because surely if they leave it any longer than that there won't be much of an audience left.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So..... are we talking a 2017 launch of this new product? Because surely if they leave it any longer than that there won't be much of an audience left.

As this is going to be a new product category, there's no need to chase a deadline, most of the ppl who are looking for a new "phone" to replace their current phones will be disappointed, the leaks and rest of the articles around it are pretty much clear, the new device might have cellular capability but its not just a phone, it might be 1000-1200$ hybrid device, which few enthusiasts may buy, but would be out of reach for many who are looking for just a "phone", MS has been clear that they have given up on mobile. its time we accept n move on.

stjeffy86

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I can't wait to see what they come up with but at the end of the day the platform still needs apps. While continuum for Win32 apps is interesting I would much rather see more robust options for UWP.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Just name it Mobile or OTG or something. As long as the name embodies the idea of a PC that you can take with you anywhere, truly mobile, then I'd have no quarrel with it.

Love that name. OTG. Encompasses all of the things I think about when I think about a smart mobile device.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Love that name. OTG. Encompasses all of the things I think about when I think about a smart mobile device.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or you honestly like the idea, but since it's a new year, I'll try to remain optimistic, and so I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sorry if I come off as rude, I'm just used to sarcasm to the point that I can't immediately appreciate gestures from others rofl.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or you honestly like the idea, but since it's a new year, I'll try to remain optimistic, and so I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sorry if I come off as rude, I'm just used to sarcasm to the point that I can't immediately appreciate gestures from others rofl.

Sincerely meant it. We all know what it means but it's not a catch word normally used. I think it would be a good name for a new product area.

I'm known for being sarcastic but not this time. LOL

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Doubt they will spend a lot of time on the name. When released if it becomes a hit and thereafter the norm the "phone" label will change with the device and its capabilities.

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Whatever it is, if it's going to accept a carrier SIM it needs to be able to access carrier features. It may not be called a "phone", and it may indeed be more than just a "phone", but if it's going to have that functionality it needs to be fully-baked. None of the crap that kept me from buying a 950/XL.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How big is thing going to be? If they go with that tri-fold sketch from a few months ago, how do you put a case on that? Anything larger than a 6" display and you'll have a total failure on both ends. It'll be too large to function as an everyday "phone-like" device and too small to run the traditional Windows desktop. *hit's about to get real.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
If they want to rename shoes as foot coverings I don't care, as long as its a phone device.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
How big is thing going to be? If they go with that tri-fold sketch from a few months ago, how do you put a case on that? Anything larger than a 6" display and you'll have a total failure on both ends. It'll be too large to function as an everyday "phone-like" device and too small to run the traditional Windows desktop. *hit's about to get real.
If so it is not pocketable anymore. Also, unless it is some how got something everyone needs/wants folks may not drop that Idol 4s/Elite X3/x50 device in their pocket to get it. Or not at first maybe...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos