Official Surface Phone Rumors Thread

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
What is Surface Peking? WTH is Surface Slavonia? How many months of saving up and eating just ramen would i have to go thru to be able to buy the "Surface Mobile"?
Lets say this device costs about the price of the new base Surface Pro (799) and we can round that to 800. Top Ramen goes for about .30 cents a pack. Lets say you can eat for about 3 dollars a meal. If you replace each meal with Top Ramen you could save roughly 2.50 more or less...

That equates to about 320 meals divided by 2 so you don't starve your self too much....Can you wait atleast 160 days? :0

cactuspete23

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Would Love a Surface type Smartphone Sized, but probably would need a roll-up, or folding screen to allow better viewing when doing PC type stuff !

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Some of it might be. The whole thing...meh, we will see.

I'm sure there's some hearsay and that tidbits of information won't be entirely false. But let's all remember how closely and secretly Microsoft locks down their Surface designs. Some random Chinese social media account isn't going to have access to design information.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Lets say this device costs about the price of the new base Surface Pro (799) and we can round that to 800. Top Ramen goes for about .30 cents a pack. Lets say you can eat for about 3 dollars a meal. If you replace each meal with Top Ramen you could save roughly 2.50 more or less...

That equates to about 320 meals divided by 2 so you don't starve your self too much....Can you wait atleast 160 days? :0

Save a little more and go with Bottom ramen. Top ramen is too expensive :p

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
at this point, it's hard to believe. I think the reality is that MS has given up on it's own mobile presence completely. Meh...will hang out on android until it happens, if it does at all. I'm content with the GS8 and Gear S3 frontier about to replace my band 2.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
at this point, it's hard to believe. I think the reality is that MS has given up on it's own mobile presence completely. Meh...will hang out on android until it happens, if it does at all. I'm content with the GS8 and Gear S3 frontier about to replace my band 2.

Well... That's just not true at all. Did you miss the C-Shell build that Zac demoed earlier this week? Or Rubino's article today about future hardware? https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-creators-update-pc-makers

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well... That's just not true at all. Did you miss the C-Shell build that Zac demoed earlier this week? Or Rubino's article today about future hardware? https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-creators-update-pc-makers

While I understand people want MS to come out with a killer mobile device today, they have to understand they're building much more than that and it takes time. Like Dan said, MS, Google and Apple are all after the same thing, they're just coming at it from different directions. In the future computing will span all devices and be everywhere. If you think about the complexity of that it makes more sense we have to be patient to get there.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree, having a Surface Phone today would not solve the issues that the consumer public sees with Windows. They need to get the Store situation sorted, and I hope Windows 10S can help get better parity for current Android and iOS users. That won't be necessary for corporate focused customers, but if they ever want to try to pull in the consumer space again they will need to make progress on that front.

I did find it interesting that at this year's I/O conference Google showed how they were moving toward more AI focused "apps" through Google Assistant without having to have the actual apps on your phone, the same thing that everyone (by that I mean tech journalists, and Android/iOS fanboys) laughed at Microsoft for with bots and Cortana. Then Apple has a video at WWDC showing an end of days scenario where the apps disappear, and Timmy Cook says how no one wants apps to disappear. Of course Apple doesn't want that, they have the apps, and don't have a good AI.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
It'd be nice if 'all' apps where stored in the cloud, and capable of being access by 'all' OS's, and then let innovation rule supreme!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@Indistinguishable, that is fine 'if' I could have a local copy for "immediate" access and app related data storage, and access to any, and all apps, I wanted/needed. In my vision, all apps would have standardized front-end credentials that would allow any OS access to download and install any pre-qualitied app. All apps would have to go through a security committee for rigorous scrutiny to gain security authorization before the front-end creds are issued, no app would be permitted for download without creds. This would allow fairness to all (developers, businesses, consumers, manufacturers), establish security across all platforms, and would be standardize for compatibility, just like any other important utility (e.g. electricity, bluetooth, input/output connections, radio frequencies, etc.)

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
You're basically describing websites.

I'm really surprised we don't see more web based SPAs. I'm probably vastly oversimplifying things, but wouldn't that be the easiest way to develop for all platforms? Guessing that might create some complications trying to deal with the different OS's APIs.

Anyone with better knowledge, please feel free to explain to me why I'm stupid.

Peter1984

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I find it really frustrating.

If MS had a mobile strategy and were definitely going to replace the Lumia line up with a new line, sometime in the next 6-12 months then their marketing department would have already begun a stealth campaign at the very least.

The fact that this hasn't happened says one of two things. Either they're completely under-investing in marketing (very unlike MS) which says to me that its going to be another utter failure of a launch or secondly they've got a product and they're sitting on it waiting to see where the market goes with wearables, VR and augmented reality.

I feel utterly abandoned and I'm really upset by the fact that MS won't let customers buy OEM parts for their damage phones.

I spent over $500 repairing my 950 XL and 950 and then within 6 months had my XL die yet again (screen).

The OEM parts cost nothing if they sold at cost+10%....why can't they let us have it.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I find it really frustrating.

If MS had a mobile strategy and were definitely going to replace the Lumia line up with a new line, sometime in the next 6-12 months then their marketing department would have already begun a stealth campaign at the very least.

The fact that this hasn't happened says one of two things. Either they're completely under-investing in marketing (very unlike MS) which says to me that its going to be another utter failure of a launch or secondly they've got a product and they're sitting on it waiting to see where the market goes with wearables, VR and augmented reality.

I discovered this while looking for something else - hot from Computex 2017 (May 31, 2017) ...

It represents a great update to Microsoft's strategy !!!

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...on-always-connected-pcs-mr-iot-computex-2017/

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is entirely relevant but with all this talk of the rumoured Surface phone being a foldable device the season four finale of Black Mirror (if you haven't seen this please do, it's like a modern day Twilight Zone) briefly features a foldable phone that looks just like the MS patents.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The latest i have heard is that the hardware is ready and complete running SD845, the software is not ready an the apps are not ready, They are already in talks with channel partners and pushing for release dates, i think we will see this device much sooner than later this year, maybe within the next month or two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad