Official Surface Phone Rumors Thread

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just popped into this forum (haven't been in here in a bit), but thought we might as well start up an 'official' Surface Phone rumors thread. Honestly not sure what the latest is here on the Surface phone, hoping the community-at-large can help us out here with the latest.

Any rumors you've hears, please post 'em here!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I read a couple of different articles. One in particular was interesting in that it shared RS3 could be delayed past Fall 2017. The reasons for that were not specified and only added that Microsoft could be releasing a new device to go along with certain features that may be ready such as cshell and other first element functions. It would run w32 apps from the store only and would be released during the creators update. Then lead on to believe Microsoft would release this surface phone-like device to test these features as it would be the predecessor to the long-waited device. So it would not be named under the surface branding.

I read these every once in a while to see what people think and ponder myself, but it is not reality until you see it. It is still cool to read thoughts about it.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
I heard it's going to have a Snapdragon 8750 and come with an optional light saber attachment. And some sweet VR goggles.

Guys.....seriously.......this one exists only in our fantasies and fake news. The only semi-credible rumor came over a year ago when somebody caught a glimpse of a prototype phone being produced. And even then it couldn't be identified as a Surface Phone specifically, just "a phone" in general.

There aren't even any noteworthy indications to suggest that MS is considering making a device like this, let alone actively developing it. Nadella said that someday, Microsoft is going to release its version of the "ultimate mobile device", without giving the vaguest indication of when and what that is. He only said that MS is going to release something someday. Nothing more, nothing less. We took that statement and wishfully misconstrued it to mean, "The exact Surface Phone that we invented in our heads is coming soon!"

I could understand a sticky based on fairly reliable sources, but c'mon. We're talking about NewsOXY and what some random nobody on Reddit says. The former can't even afford to keep its clickbait site online half of the time. Why do we do this to ourselves?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I heard it's going to have a Snapdragon 8750 and come with an optional light saber attachment. And some sweet VR goggles.

Guys.....seriously.......this one exists only in our fantasies and fake news. The only semi-credible rumor came over a year ago when somebody caught a glimpse of a prototype phone being produced. And even then it couldn't be identified as a Surface Phone specifically, just "a phone" in general.

There aren't even any noteworthy indications to suggest that MS is considering making a device like this, let alone actively developing it. Nadella said that someday, Microsoft is going to release its version of the "ultimate mobile device", without giving the vaguest indication of when and what that is. He only said that MS is going to release something someday. Nothing more, nothing less. We took that statement and wishfully misconstrued it to mean, "The exact Surface Phone that we invented in our heads is coming soon!"

I could understand a sticky based on fairly reliable sources, but c'mon. We're talking about NewsOXY and what some random nobody on Reddit says. The former can't even afford to keep its clickbait site online half of the time. Why do we do this to ourselves?
To me it's just rumors and news. So I'm not 'doing' anything to myself. Just news and that's all. Of course we all know everything on the internet is not true any way....or was it the other way around...;)

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If they follow their previous Surface pattern you'll never really know when the device is going to come until just about the drop dead date and most of the rumor mills will be wrong on the form factor. But not to dampen things too much let me say that right now we have maybe 2 rounds of devices, one "phone" round this year and "surface mobile device" in a future year. Which one are you focusing on for this thread?

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Well, considering this, I highly doubt we're going to see any new hardware out of Microsoft anytime soon. In fact, much like what happened to Blackberry, this is probably the beginning of the end for Windows 10 Mobile:

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/best-microsoft-phone-now-samsung-165459551.html

Yep, that's right. Microsoft is going to start selling an android phone in their store for the first time ever, which means that they obviously have no new mobile hardware planned any time soon (or ever). We know how this one ends. If Microsoft's few remaining smartphone users begin to adopt the S8 en masse.....which many of us will since a lot of us are using 5-year-old phones with no flagships on the horizon......then the Surface Phone hopes are pretty dim.

You're not going to funnel your users to Android and expect them to return in two years for a Surface Phone. So as sad as it makes me, I think we can declare Windows Mobile and the Surface Phone dead.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, considering this, I highly doubt we're going to see any new hardware out of Microsoft anytime soon. In fact, much like what happened to Blackberry, this is probably the beginning of the end for Windows 10 Mobile:

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/best-microsoft-phone-now-samsung-165459551.html

Yep, that's right. Microsoft is going to start selling an android phone in their store for the first time ever, which means that they obviously have no new mobile hardware planned any time soon (or ever). We know how this one ends. If Microsoft's few remaining smartphone users begin to adopt the S8 en masse.....which many of us will since a lot of us are using 5-year-old phones with no flagships on the horizon......then the Surface Phone hopes are pretty dim.

You're not going to funnel your users to Android and expect them to return in two years for a Surface Phone. So as sad as it makes me, I think we can declare Windows Mobile and the Surface Phone dead.

I think you're overreacting. This is not to funnel users to Android, its to get Windows 10 on more and more devices. The more people use it, the more they will become familiar with it and are more likely to buy a W10 device.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So if they start selling a Samsung tablet and you have no news regarding new Surface Pro models the Surface Pro is dead? Too much of a leap. 835 hardware that everyone wants is delayed except for Samsung who bought out the current supply. You won't get any high end phones for quite a few months. But those phones aren't dead.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think you're overreacting. This is not to funnel users to Android, its to get Windows 10 on more and more devices. The more people use it, the more they will become familiar with it and are more likely to buy a W10 device.

But its not W10 on the Samsung it is just Microsoft apps, which they can get now on Android or iOS. Using these services really gives no reason for you to want to switch to a W10M device.

I'm with the others that it isn't a good sign for Microsoft's belief in W10M, but that's not really new news.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
But its not W10 on the Samsung it is just Microsoft apps, which they can get now on Android or iOS. Using these services really gives no reason for you to want to switch to a W10M device.

I'm with the others that it isn't a good sign for Microsoft's belief in W10M, but that's not really new news.

And the only way you do that is to show people what it can do, starting with the Office suite and other platform based apps they may never have seen. For people who may be frustrated with the other platforms or are looking for something new, it is a way to show them what MS is all about.

I was someone who, a short time ago, thought MS was old-fashioned. Now I know different.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is a fact of life here in smart device world.

I have never had a Samsung phone of any kind. Still bucking the popular option here.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Well, doesn't it seem strange to be announcing a new Android phone with at least as good MS apps and capabilities. LOL

It is interesting to watch. Microsoft many times pioneers stuff like this. Many stories (negative) in the threads shared on this too.

Samsung knows what's up. Wonder who else is up to hopping on Microsoft's train? There is a difference though, but slightly from my perspective and it is mentioned by several people. Samsung is an ODM/OEM themselves. More like a hybrid of sorts. You can tell they have been making moves to get away from that sort of business. In house SoCs, in house mobile OS, and also partnering out in some ways. Sounds a little familiar :).

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
so, 8 Zip Surface Edition - lists surface phone in the description in the store. Is it a prank, a nod, or do they know something we don't? Who knows!

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
maybe something from //build this week?

We've got the Harmon Kardon Invoke speaker confirmed for the fall...

Difficult to push a home assistant without a mobile platform to compliment it...here's hoping 2017 is THE YEAR!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb