Calling All Cerulean Knights to Battle

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Again, comparing the value for price against Android is not realistic. Android makers pump out way more so they get better parts prices and faster supply for 1st gen parts. It never was at parity when comparing same spec per $ + current gen parts release with Android vs WP. Android was always less $ and launched new gen faster, why would this change for the Cerulean Moment?

In terms of Windows on Mobile you have to look at MSRP on release. Show me a Continuum capable phone that was less $$$ ON RELEASE. I want to see that as I missed that unicorn sighting.

Here's my list of Continuum enabled devices and price at launch. Did I miss any?
  • HP Elite X3 - MSRP on release = ~$800
  • Lumia 950 XL - MSRP on release = ~$650
  • Acer Liquid Jade Primo - MSRP on release = ~$650
  • Lumia 950 - MSRP on release = ~$550
  • Alcatel Idol 4S Windows - MSRP on release = ~$470
  • Mouse Computer Madosma Q601 - MSRP ~$450
  • NuAns Neo - MSRP on release = ~$420
  • Funker W6.0 Pro2 - MSRP on release = ~$410
  • Coship Moly PCphone - MSRP on release = N/A as it never released, but based on Madosma and Funker rebadgings it would have been ~$400 or more
  • Cerulean Moment - MSRP on release = ~$300

I'm not comparing against Android. I'm comparing against the 950.

Why would we compare prices at launch day? I don't know of any instance of anything where in the real world someone would make a purchasing decision based on that.

I know there are economies of scale etc that factor in, but the point is that today you can buy a better Windows phone for about the same price. Sure, the 950/XL may be out of production, but I'm guessing there are far more than 3-4k of them new and available for sale.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess that's the issue. There's no competitive advantage. This phone does next to nothing to attract new/returning W10 users, and nearly anyone that wants a W10 phone already has one that's as good/close enough or far better so it's not really much of an upgrade option.

In this case you can't put it in perspective of value for money/competitive advantage.

It's pretty much a help us fund the company to go forward. If you contribute 5$, sweet thanks, if you contribute $300, you can actually get something.

The amount of risk is totally up to you and if it doesn't work out, you get your money back anyhow.

It's like when kids schools keep trying to fundraise various activities by selling chocolate covered almonds. Do I like them? no. Do I think it's good value? no. I still buy it to support the school :) Also there's no method to get money back in this case :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why would we compare prices at launch day?

To highlight the relative value of the device.

I just got a Stuhrling Original Gatsby Plaza. The MSRP on it is $695.00 and many people bought it for that amount, seeing it as a $700 value and worth the money. The fact that I bought it from Overstock for $195 doesn't mean that it is no longer worth $700 or that some others are not still paying the full $700 for it from the manufacturer's site where you can add it to your cart for full price today...

It means that they had a production overrun and could afford to sell some of that off at a discount.

In terms of 950 and 950 XL they are definitely out of production, so much so that the factories that produced them are now moth balled and (if I remember correctly) sold off. So those prices are liquidation prices across the board. When has a liquidation price ever represented value? It represents discount.Somebody somewhere most likely lost money on it.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Best of luck to these guys! This is not the phone for me since I only go for high end phones (950XL when it first came out and now the iPhone 7 plus...eagerly awaiting the iPhone 8). I would contribute $5-$10 to the cause though. Is there a way to do that?

Also thinking of getting the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 just because it is so awesome hardware wise...depends on how good the iPhone 8 is I suppose.

Sorry MS...the only way you will get me back at this point is with some out of this world Surface phone. I had been using Windows Mobile since it first came out...literally. Bought the original Windows Mobile developer phone (running a version of pocket pc) back in early 2000 or whenever that was...the one with no touch screen...it was cool for it's time. Have upgraded ever since until just recently.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'd say if there's anyone out there still using non-continuum capable Windows mobile os phones in N. America/S. America... and can go in on this--they absolutely need to order one of these.

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you get the email? The one with the special link?

Are you a Cerulean Knight?

Did you pledge and get the secret perk? Are you spreading the word?

Let's hear your battle stories here.

#ThisIsOurMoment #CeruleanKnights #ColorMeCerulean

I will not be buying the Cerulean phone.
I have been a hardcore supporter of Microsoft.
I've bought:

- Surface Pro 1
- Surface Pro 3
- Surface RT (as a gift to someone)
- Band 1
- Band 2
- Lumia 920
- Lumia 510
- Lumia 520
- Lumia 720 (I think t-mo version)
- Lumia 830
- Lumia 1020 - Mine
- Lumia 950 XL - Mine

And I can't explain how disappointed I am with their dropping support through their update structure.
Though the 1020 was an amazing phone, I find it incredibly annoying that MS has not lead some sort of recycling/ turn in program where you could upgrade the insides or upgrade to a new headset. I admit that I'm a tech enthusiast, but $800 handsets should last me more than just 2 years when they come out to the market.

While I don't mind trying new technology -- I am just not up to be "ALL HANDS IN" anymore. I admit I was somewhat gullible in trusting a company since they are in it for the Money, not the promises. My 950XL is working fine and asides from the Cerulean being a downgrade, even if it wasn't -- I can't imagine the stability issues that might come with it given the little things I keep asking them to fix for their own phones.

Though might tone might sound angry or upset, I'm just going to be more cautious and ride the 950XL until it no longer serves me. Hopefully someone will create an APP that allows me to just recycle the other phones by letting me synchronize and record/stop at the same time, in order to capture different angles low budget.

Kthxbye! :)

Ryan Smith23

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Didn't the CEO say they were going to revolutionize Windows Phone? How exactly are they doing this with a rebrand of a mid-range Windows phone from last year? Literally no reason to get this (and there's no way they're going to make their funding goal. It's dead already), instead of a 950/950XL. Those phones may be out of production, but they'll likely receive support from MS long after WB stops supporting the Moment (if it ever comes out). This phone is a joke.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Didn't the CEO say they were going to revolutionize Windows Phone? How exactly are they doing this with a rebrand of a mid-range Windows phone from last year? Literally no reason to get this (and there's no way they're going to make their funding goal. It's dead already), instead of a 950/950XL. Those phones may be out of production, but they'll likely receive support from MS long after WB stops supporting the Moment (if it ever comes out). This phone is a joke.

So let me ask... Do you think nobody should get one? And if not, why not?

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I intend to purchase a Cerulean Phone but I cant afford to risk 299:00 on the crowd funding reaching its goal, so I just pledged $20:00 in order to help support this come to the market. Then I'll have the ability to purchase one later, this is about support and choice I choose a windows phone and I'll do my best to support it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just want to leave this here...

...when my Lumia 950 XL suddenly had a touch screen issue and MS wouldn't even service it themselves-- they referred me to some offshore company in Germany with terrible reviews on turnaround and overall service. Not even worth my time to play that game. I tried to get it fixed but since nobody has Windows parts, I was quoted at around $300 to get it fixed. Um, no.

206Husky

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Do I need this phone? Not really, but I want it in the worst way for what it represents. Another choice for the platform I prefer and use daily.
I guess this is the problem. For a campaign like this, it has to address a need. I don't see this phone doing that.

I have no problem spending money on a campaign, but it's going to have to be something that is better than what I currently have (950 XL).

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
To highlight the relative value of the device.

I just got a Stuhrling Original Gatsby Plaza. The MSRP on it is $695.00 and many people bought it for that amount, seeing it as a $700 value and worth the money. The fact that I bought it from Overstock for $195 doesn't mean that it is no longer worth $700 or that some others are not still paying the full $700 for it from the manufacturer's site where you can add it to your cart for full price today...

It means that they had a production overrun and could afford to sell some of that off at a discount.

That further illustrates my point that the 950 is a better value :smile:. Plus you get it now, not maybe in a few months when the technology will be that much older.

Really though, prices on technology go down with time regardless of overruns. A 2GB flash drive used to cost hundreds of dollars... they certainly don't today. Last year's iPhones are less than this year's. "Relative Value" is absolutely time dependent.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You quoted my post, but you didn't bother to read it? I answered both of those already.

I'm just trying to understand, because what I am reading leads me to believe the argument against boils down to this... "I don't see the value in the device or the company."

That's an opinion that need not be universal. I asked if and why you might believe that nobody else should support it or buy in. Just because you don't see enough value does not mean that others can't see a fair value in it.

I'm asking if you have a more universal reason than your sense that it isn't a good value for you. Let me ask in another way. If I buy in does it hurt you? Would you rather I didn't buy in and that nobody else did?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That further illustrates my point that the 950 is a better value .

People often conflate value with price... I believe the two are separate or rather that price is a subset of value. For some it is a larger subset than it is for others.

IMHO, in no way does price equal or encompass value as a subset of itself.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Really though, prices on technology go down with time regardless of overruns. A 2GB flash drive used to cost hundreds of dollars... they certainly don't today. Last year's iPhones are less than this year's. "Relative Value" is absolutely time dependent.

Yep... I agree with that. And my list shows the downward trend in price for an SD 617 based Continuum phone over time...

• NuAns Neo - MSRP on release = ~$420
  • Mouse Computer Madosma Q601 - MSRP ~$450
  • Funker W6.0 Pro2 - MSRP on release = ~$410
  • Cerulean Moment - MSRP on release = ~$300

The Mouse and Funker were upscaled in the screen size and resolution while the Neo is pretty equivalent. I did attempt to put them in chronological order although releases of the rebadged PCphone are a bit hazy...

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To my friends on the other side of the aisle: what other Windows 10 Mobile device is announced and slated for launch this year?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers