Calling All Cerulean Knights to Battle

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think the biggest obstacle to this effort is Microsoft. People are unsure of the future of the mobile platform. You have to think WB knows something or why would they invest so much time and effort? Wileyfox is another one that appears to be coming out with a new phone for WM. Why doesn't MS step up and support these efforts?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not only Cerulean and now the new Wileyfox, but also a Trekstor is in the works and rumors of another HP...

Yet everyone wants to believe these companies are just blindly throwing in and Microsoft is pulling the plug on W10M. We may not like how little Microsoft communicates with consumers, but I've never heard it said they leave their partners in the dark. Quite the opposite.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not only Cerulean and now the new Wileyfox, but also a Trekstor is in the works and rumors of another HP...

Yet everyone wants to believe these companies are just blindly throwing in and Microsoft is pulling the plug on W10M. We may not like how little Microsoft communicates with consumers, but I've never heard it said they leave their partners in the dark. Quite the opposite.

You and I understand that, but does the public at large? While I don't expect them to advertise for these companies, making a statement that their efforts are not futile would help send a message to potential buyers/backers. They need to help build some momentum.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You and I understand that, but does the public at large? While I don't expect them to advertise for these companies, making a statement that their efforts are not futile would help send a message to potential buyers/backers. They need to help build some momentum.

Microsoft has a habit of sending cryptic messages that are constantly twisted by tech writers to increase their traffic. Nadella has repeatedly stated the company position of mobile computing being a critical part of their future. You've read these right? What does "mobile computing" mean anyway? Mobile must mean phone, no? Well the trend arrow seems to be pointing at x86 with telephony for upcoming gadgets and some form of emulation for older devices.

A dead platform does not update as regularly as this one has. Dead platforms do not release previews like 10 has been.

I agree wholeheartedly that Murphy and others know something we don't, hence the NDAs. I also agree that MS needs to put on their big-boy pants and step up or step out. You don't leave a girl twisting in the wind thinking you're going to marry her at some point then tell her it's over. Hell hath no fury......

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

And this is why I think the biggest obstacle isn't Microsoft per se but public perception. It can be made worse by people like Rubino telling users not to invest in Cerulean, and it can be made better by MS by more proactively marketing the platform.

Either way less whining and fewer proclamations of the "death" of the platform would help perception. But people like to complain and it generates clicks so here we are.....

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you writing this. Judging on how you defended Cerulean Mobile in Jason Wards latest piece about them, I am not surprised to see your name on the top.

First of, I want you to know, that I have a large amount of respect for someone going so much out of their way to promote this for Cerulean Mobile. It is commendable and truly makes you worthy of your champion title.

Now to your reply.

I am order #30 and while I did not use the special link, it still had the perk after I signed it - luckily too, otherwise I would have paid 10-20$ more than I had had to :p

I spread the word using twitter, though I know of no one interesting or someone who could benefit from a tweet like that. Still, I gave it all the chance I could.

Finally my response to everyone not impressed with the device:
It is not about the device. For me it is about doing my best to ensure a future for Windows Phone. And Gregs idea of a company dedicated to the OS with no toes in other waters, as he puts it, is just up my alley.
I could afford it and thusly I helped.

Granted, I did not go spend all my fortune to help Mr. Greg, but $280 for a mere promise is what I would consider a fair amount of support.

Of course it helped a lot that I would actually get a device, if this succeeded, but I do not see this as a viable end. Not with only 2% completed at the moment of writing this. This will fail with 70% accuracy. I simply take peace in knowing I did my part, when the time came to prove my loyalty to this OEM as a fan of Windows Phones.

My question to you is this: What do you think Greg will do next, when this fails?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am order #30

Thanks for throwing in. Every little bit helps encourage @mistagreg and the whole Wharton Brooks / Cerulean crew to keep pushing.

Unfortunately it looks like we actually lost a pledge. After sitting at 102 backers for days, it is now down to 101.

I think this VR all-in-one looks like it may be a certainty and I hope it comes out before the holiday shopping season. Images of Cerulean Mobile's planned VR Headset - MS Mobile Show

To me this looks like the next step in their campaign and hopefully it nets them some street cred.

i hope it is an all-in-one. That means, no computer or game box needed and no phone to insert. It should use its own internals for everything. Basically a phone without telephony is encased in the shell. I also hope it runs something from the Windows family and hooks fully into Holo APIs as well as VR Apps in a store. I'm intrigued and can't wait to hear more.

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for throwing in.

I think this VR all-in-one looks like it may be a certainty and I hope it comes out before the holiday shopping season. Images of Cerulean Mobile's planned VR Headset - MS Mobile Show

To me this looks like the next step in their campaign and hopefully it nets them some street cred.

i hope it is an all-in-one. That means, no computer or game box needed and no phone to insert. It should use its own internals for everything. Basically a phone without telephony is encased in the shell. I also hope it runs something from the Windows family and hooks fully into Holo APIs as well as VR Apps in a store. I'm intrigued and can't wait to hear more.

Thank you for being the champion of Windows Central next to Jason of this project :)

Yes, I suppose that all is not lost if Cerulean Mobile fails, there is still WhartonBrooks as a company, however Cerulean Mobile without a mobile is kind of like Windows 10 Mobile with no Mobile devices to run on.

Only time will tell :)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I think we will start to see this more and more going into 2018.
It is somewhat old news, but UmiDigi at one point was going to release a W10M rom for their Touch model phone. I think that never materialized since they have only Mediatek processors in their phones up to this point. It would not take much for Microsoft ties in China to collaborate with the OEMs and ODMs there and drop a ROM on a phone that fulfills the current SoC list that is left. However I am not certain if the attempt with Xiaomi was only an experiment and nothing more. But if Xiaomi decided to get more unlocked phones in the US they might go ahead with a W10M one too, since the Android market competition is so fierce. It might be the case that Alcatel is the acid test for all others watching and waiting. Once their EU bound IDOL4PRO goes live I bet many are watching the sales from that perspective.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Wow. In a short time this thread got over 8k views. Is that counting repeated user views or how is that calculated? Either way even if it was half that 4k in about 3 weeks is fast.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
All jokes aside, people are entitled to their opinion. We are also entitled to our needs. Most of the time we are entitled to our wants too. This appears to be something most people do not want. For me there is no green grass out there, but I have to be some where I can stay content.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
All jokes aside, people are entitled to their opinion. We are also entitled to our needs. Most of the time we are entitled to our wants too. This appears to be something most people do not want. For me there is no green grass out there, but I have to be some where I can stay content.

Yet they're curious and looking... though probably just to laugh I guess.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe he's just being real, telling us upfront what is needed for anything to happen. If you don't ask/state, you'll definitely never get.

jay_max

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
No Verizon support. No Band 12 (700mhz)/VOLTE support for T-Mobile (and I'm not even going to go there on no wi-fi calling). There are 140 million potential customers on Verizon, another 73 million potential customers on T-Mobile and they won't be able to use the phone (or in the case of a T-Mobile customer, have a severely gimped device). Sprint's also nonstarter, so you're left with just AT&T customers. Again, it's this type of stuff that kills device sales. I'd like to see them succeed, but with basic missteps like this, the phone is DOA before it even launches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster