Love it? Hate it? This Is The Moment...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a phone.

It has some specs...

It has some backstory...

The phone may not be revolutionary...

But maybe the dream behind the phone is.

Is it the phone? Is it the company? The dream behind bringing this to market? Your dream for Windows on Mobile?

What is it that you Love? That you Hate? Does this story speak to you? Are you bored yet?

Sound off on your thoughts about Wharton Brooks, Cerulean, the Moment, the crowdfunding, your views, the level of community support...

What's your story and how does it tie in?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I've seen the phone when Jason had that story with the guy and the phone, but personally, I only like that they at least attempted to make something.

The phone itself, though, is not that inspiring. Huge top and bottom bezels, screen is just ok, the logo on the back is equally huge, and a lot of things look out of place (like the cameras). Might make a good mid-range phone.

I believe they asked for just over $1M, but with the lack of interest for a Windows phone in general and a not-as-good-as-it-should-be hardware, I really doubt they'll reach it. I hope they do, but not holding my breath.

But it's a good first attempt. Later on they might do something better.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Uh yup... It's midrange. It's just a start. I love the idea of a fan being behind the development. I can say from experience that the ODM has a tight build and good design philosophy.

Later on they might do something better.

Thing is, if this one doesn't launch, don't look for a second one. And that would just be downright depressing.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If it were an android phone people might be stumbling over each other to get it. I don't understand what exactly people are looking for in a phone from a startup company. Not to be mean but what exactly are you expecting for a sub 300 dollar phone?

Last edited:

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If an angel investor can just scoop this up and care for the expenses I believe the moment has a chance.

Like the Lumia 640, the phone does not inspire.

I think though that if it gets to the market, people will realize how much "it fits their needs".

This is the kind of response the 640 had before it was released but it turned out to become everyone's favorite Windows Phone because of what it offered.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If an angel investor can just scoop this up and care for the expenses I believe the moment has a chance.

I think though that if it gets to the market, people will realize how much "it fits their needs".

This is the kind of response the 640 had before it was released but it turned out to become everyone's favorite Windows Phone because of what it offered.

Won the Internet.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What is different about this phone than the myriad that preceded it?

There really hasn't been too many SD 617 devices on this platform. They all have been small regional releases. This has driven the price per unit up. So far as I can tell the Moment is the least expensive Continuum ready phone ever offered when considering MSRP at launch.

$299 and that includes a $50+ valued Actiontek ScreenBeam Mini 2 Continuum edition accessory.

Possibly the Lenovo Softbank 503LV was less $ on release, but I can only find anecdotal evidence that it was around $230 and no evidence it even released in Japan, let alone at that price... It had a lesser camera and I'm not sure it had GG3 on the back, perhaps just the plastic sheet that Moly W5 sported. Both the 503LV and the Moment are modified internals in a W5 frame/body.

So, for the target market it represents a good value.

Yes, some devices have fallen in price to below $299 and offer Continuum. 950 and 950 XL for example. Reference the build quality complaints and the fact that they are discontinued so we are looking at overstock blowout prices. The Moment is based on the Moly W5 and I found that to be built like a tank.

Another example might be the Alcatel Idol 4S Windows... T-Mo is selling theirs now at a subsidized $288, but the factory unlocked is still $470. Only a better value if you are on T-Mo or can get it unlocked.

Another reason this phone is different and why @tgp and others should care is that they want to be Verizon capable, they just couldn't come up with the cash for the certifications before release. If they succeed here they might rebound with a Vzw model or make the next one Vzw compliant.

The most compelling reason for me is that the founder wants to be in Windows on Mobile for the long haul and is truly a fan (or fanatic) of the platform. A true rarity for us.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What I don't get is that they eschewed USB-C to save money but then turn around and include a Screenbeam Mini 2 Continuum Edition. I was a chronic truant but did I totally miss out on math?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
What I don't get is that they eschewed USB-C to save money but then turn around and include a Screenbeam Mini 2 Continuum Edition. I was a chronic truant but did I totally miss out on math?
If it supports continuum period, I wonder and am curious how well a USB C to micro cable would handle another continuum dock? Any thoughts or technical ideas there? Not compatible?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If it supports continuum period, I wonder and am curious how well a USB C to micro cable would handle another continuum dock? Any thoughts or technical ideas there? Not compatible?
We don't know if the micro-USB even supports USB-OTG to connect a wireless kb & mouse. Is it MHL-compliant to support video out? Using the phone's display as a trackpad and kb is good for short, rudimentary tasks but not for any lengthy productivity. I mean, that IS the whole point is it not? For banging out a quick email or a web search it'll take longer just to set up the wireless connection.

For a phone being touted as having "disruptive features" it's missing the mark.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Poor specs and poor name for a company. Yes it sounds petty but people care about buying a good phone and one that has a catchy name. Wharton Brooks sound like partners in a chartered accountancy firm or something. Crowd funding on a platform with next to no market share now is never going to work either. I feel for them I really do and I admire what they're trying to do and their passion for the platform but they're doing the leg work that Microsoft should have to begin with. It's not up to us to save Windows mobile and there's not enough left to do so anyway. Microsoft have laid their cards on the table as far as Windows mobile is concerned with the Galaxy s8 Microsoft Edition. They've created the smoothest path possible for the remaining fans to switch to Android and keep as much of the ecosystem as possible and all the Galaxy s8 stories on the news board in here are simply echoing that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Poor specs and poor name for a company. Yes it sounds petty but people care about buying a good phone and one that has a catchy name. Wharton Brooks sound like partners in a chartered accountancy firm or something. Crowd funding on a platform with next to no market share now is never going to work either. I feel for them I really do and I admire what they're trying to do and their passion for the platform but they're doing the leg work that Microsoft should have to begin with. It's not up to us to save Windows mobile and there's not enough left to do so anyway. Microsoft have laid their cards on the table as far as Windows mobile is concerned with the Galaxy s8 Microsoft Edition. They've created the smoothest path possible for the remaining fans to switch to Android and keep as much of the ecosystem as possible and all the Galaxy s8 stories on the news board in here are simply echoing that.

The S8 hasn't reached users hands yet, why would anyone go blindly on what a blogger writes? That's a recipe for disappointment to the nth degree. Microsoft Edition - a clever way of saying "Hey, we talked Samsung into letting us put bloatware on their phones just for the privilege of putting our name on it".

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IF it is USB Dual Role, there is no reason it wouldn't dock.

ScreenBeam Mini 2 Continuum has a port for your keyboard/mouse dongle. One universal dongle would do it for both as there is only one port.

I have a couple questions stacked up... I'll see if I can get Dual Role answered and is it 2G capable.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
NOT really ranting at YOU @dov1978 as you are a good member here and I like you. But you summarized the self defeating attitude so well I had to quote it.

It's not up to us to save Windows mobile and there's not enough left to do so anyway.

See; 9 out of 10 are saying this. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is what gets me upset. The user base sits around saying it's gotta fail and guess what? It fails.

Congrats to all y'all who want to rush out and post how farkin' CORRECT you are before the fact so you can say, "I told you so."

This makes me sick. Literally sick to my stomach. The apathy and stinginess. And bully on you if you feel that way, but talking it up and converting everyone off the fence to feel that way as well. You might as well go around to all the users houses and smash their phones while you are at it.

Yay! We killed 'er off that time, din't we.

I mean it, I'm peeved as heck. Keep up the woe is me attitude. I hope it makes y'all happy.

grumble grumble... meh

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I gotta say that my 640XL is probably my favorite WP of all time (the 1520 has a special place in my heart, but the 640XL was the perfect midranger). If the Moment is anything like that phone, it'll be a praiseworthy device. And although I bounce back and forth between Android and WM, I'm thinking about preordering just to support the company.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think the name is kind of odd but I would say that I echo @greedo_greedy. To be honest, I like the specs. It seems like Microsoft totally forgot about the midrange. The 650 is barely midrange. Additionally, I'm glad for it just for the size too as well. I'm glad that these high end options have been available but everything has been huge (to me) in size. The devices that aren't huge have lame battery life.

I'm nervous about the IndieGogo campaign idea but of course I understand why they did it.

It would put the cherry on top if they could at least support VoLTE on T-Mo.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am going to purchase one regardless. Because I have hope here for W10M, and the more partners Microsoft has the better.

As far as the phone goes, it will run great (from my perspective) I have no doubts about it. Even the Best of them tumbled at first out the gates (Elite X3) but only time will tell. The OS is in a good spot and getting better, so I hope some new faces look at it as an opportunity for another consumer device, which there was only 1 released out this way since 2016 started.

It may be a long shot, but I really hope Cerulean gets some classic features in, maybe at least DTtW, glance maybe, or a color profile to go along with the Clearblack Display would be killer. Or if not out of the gate, they can partner with Microsoft some how to add those. The point here should be if you are looking for a W10 Phone, try and get it. I really want to see what lies after that door once they fullfill their goal, that is when the real fun will start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo