Dan Rubino Says "Microsoft should fund the Cerulean Moment"

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've taken the advice of @Daniel Rubino

I've pulled my pledge for Cerulean. My apologies to @mistagreg as I really support what he is trying to do, but I now need to free up the cash to make some moves. I'm looking forward to the VR project coming to fruition and will follow that as it moves forward with an eye to supporting you via that project.

Given the tone of the front page article linked in the OP and all the thousands upon thousands of vociferous comments in the blogs and forums... It is apparent to me that too few believe it is worth putting money into the platform so it can remain viable. Many now believe that Microsoft and its partners should simply hand them things (or at least subsidize them) because they have been so "loyal."

I'm a bit more realistic than that. I think that if there were money to be made on this platform we would have developers and OEMs lining up to get a share. I'm tired of "paying my taxes" in the form of purchases and having that money go down an ever shrinking hole while I read comment after comment about reasons not to buy in from "fans" who don't want to pay what the actual costs are. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like I'm the only one paying in. Far from it. But the number of people making purchases has dwindled greatly as the number abstaining has grown.

To all those who battled and continue to battle for the platform to survive by showing support to companies that try to support us, I salute you.

To those who (IMHO mistakenly) believe that the platform will somehow continue without consumers willing to purchase, I wish you great good luck...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
To all those who battled and continue to battle for the platform to survive by showing support to companies that try to support us, I salute you.

To those who (IMHO mistakenly) believe that the platform will somehow continue without consumers willing to purchase, I wish you great good luck...

I just bought a really cheap 950xl yesterday to have around : ). Used but works like day one. Windows 10 Mobile has a lot of potential. I tend to dig into the OS to find out how it works, more so then I would like. To me Microsoft Windows is like no other Operating system on the planet. It stands alone and for good reason. What other OS has it's own database built in? Everything else derived from Assembly code or unix like kernel code is all the same under the hood to me. That is why I find Windows so intriguing.

I say this because sometimes I like to speculate what could have been or will be. Microsoft has most of the doors ready in areas of this mobile OS. Folks (OEMs/consumer) just have to look for it, ask for it, build it whatever...

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'd take my chances with some of the armchair CEOs here as opposed to some of those who have actually held the title. Exhibit A - Leo Apotheker.

I wouldn't trust any of the armchair ceo's on this website to do my grocery run let alone run a multi-billion dollar company.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
And how much battery life do you think that would possible get? An hour or two?

For regular use, it'd be pretty much the same as any phone. Extra ram, gpu, and SSD actually take strain off CPU.

For gaming, it would depend on the game. Typically mobile gaming either requires a huge battery or has a short battery life. So for gaming, yeah that's an issue. Fortunately we are just now seeing the benefits of new battery tech - for example the mixed lithium the s8 uses, has a longer life.

Most people bus stop gaming, don't game for that long, but I reckon you could get 2-3 hours, max 3d graphics, if you really tried, without making it switch thick. Look at how thin the s8+ is. 3500 mah. You could make this phone a tad thicker and have probably 4500-5000 mah. Which on a smaller screen would do you pretty well.

Clearly an entertainment smartphone is going to be thicker than a regular one, as its built for power. Like slimline versus laptop.

I think the old edge tablet by razer did less hours gaming than what you could make this do nowadays with modern tech. I think users would find that satisfying. Especially considering not all games push that hard.

Practically its a concern (well, to be fair, not really much more than any mobile device when rendering 3d - you get the same quick drain on any device to some degree, but most devices aren't built for the purpose, so they perform poorly and don't have the juice), but the biggest concern (given the advances in battery tech) when making a mobile gaming device of this style would be heat.

Reckon liquid cooling might be the ticket. They have that in some tablets now. It'd probably have to be fanless, so your heat design would be the real design challenge - make sure it doesn't turn into a hot coal while your playing it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Drael646464 are you from some where around the southern colonial states there about? One of the few people I have seen use that word 'reckon'. I have nothing against it, most of my family live in VA.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a really cheap 950xl yesterday to have around : ). Used but works like day one. Windows 10 Mobile has a lot of potential....

Is this used 950xl loaded with day 1 launch OS? If not, then no, you can't say it works like day one cause you haven't been there hahaha. It was hard day 1 lol (or day 30/60 whatever it was for Canada). But hey I survived cause well it still made phone calls fine, checked my messages fine... edge was already way better than windows 8.1 IE

Too bad RS2 wasn't around 2 years ago.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
today's ask @Daniel Rubino podcast cringe some more, saying I should probably look at android or ios if I want to change from my 950xl.

The good news about sticking with my 950xl is that I have less distractions staring at new shiny things on my phone when I should be working or something lol.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Is this used 950xl loaded with day 1 launch OS? If not, then no, you can't say it works like day one cause you haven't been there hahaha. It was hard day 1 lol (or day 30/60 whatever it was for Canada). But hey I survived cause well it still made phone calls fine, checked my messages fine... edge was already way better than windows 8.1 IE

Too bad RS2 wasn't around 2 years ago.

I recall that. I had the 950, but I think I bought it in January about 2 months after launch...I never owned the XL until much later. But yes if flashing it to the latest FW it grabs the OS update of whatever was prior to the AU build. So not that bad.

Only officially been using Windows phones since 2014.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
today's ask @Daniel Rubino podcast cringe some more, saying I should probably look at android or ios if I want to change from my 950xl.

The good news about sticking with my 950xl is that I have less distractions staring at new shiny things on my phone when I should be working or something lol.

I could not even tell you the amount of hours wasted in front of my devices (mobile, PC, ultrabook, etc...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss