modular smartphone with windows 10

ahmad karaki

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Project Ara was a modular smartphone project under development by Google
Under its original design, Project Ara was intended to consist of hardware modules providing common smartphone components, such as processors, displays, batteries, and cameras, as well as modules providing more specialized components, and "frames" that these modules were to be attached to. This design would allow a device to be upgraded over time with new capabilities and upgraded specifications without requiring the purchase of an entire new device, providing a longer lifecycle for the device and potentially reducing electronic waste

Why Microsoft doesn't work on such device since windows already support changing device hardware ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The issues with modular hardware like that are, I believe, strictly market and hardware, not the OS.

I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head however.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The thing that killed that project, imo, was a lack of enthusiast. I mean apart from a 'small' (using this term very loosely lol) group of people that would actually bother to upgrade certain aspects of their phone, the majority of users wouldn't be running out the door every month or every time a new mod dropped, to splurge.

The idea was solid. Give the people the choice, but it would be a long term thing with most and tbh most people don't handle multiple choices very well :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos