4 in 1 : Surface Phone?

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
iphone : mp3 player+internet device+phone

surface phone : pc+xbox+hololens+phone

the hardware should be combination of four. they have to make a combined shell. shouldnt be impossible ? ?

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
it meant to be high end..u get full fleged pc .gaming & mixed reality experiences on a foldable phone..

thus it has to be pricey
and it should directly compare with high end iPhones !!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
it meant to be high end..u get full fleged pc .gaming & mixed reality experiences on a foldable phone..

thus it has to be pricey
and it should directly compare with high end iPhones !!

I don't think it would compete with iPhone. iPhone users don't want a PC in their pocket, they want the ecosystem that helps them throughout their day.

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
I don't think it would compete with iPhone. iPhone users don't want a PC in their pocket, they want the ecosystem that helps them throughout their day.

i cant agree with u. people use smartphones for productivity. smartphones wont be so popular if it didnt have some pc capabilitis. pcs r ultimate productivity device. u get that in ur pocket with S. phone that is surely comparable with the rumored 1000$ price ranged iphone8

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
i cant agree with u. people use smartphones for productivity. smartphones wont be so popular if it didnt have some pc capabilitis. pcs r ultimate productivity device. u get that in ur pocket with S. phone that is surely comparable with the rumored 1000$ price ranged iphone8

I guess we'll see.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
iPhone is for consumers while Surface Phone will target strictly managers and business people. With the functions and with the price tag as well. It should really be a phone that you can turn into a PC and check emails, work in Excel, Word, be on Skype, run company software etc. it will be a completely different kind of productivity than on iPhone. This will be really a device for work, rather than a phone.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
iPhone is for consumers while Surface Phone will target strictly managers and business people. With the functions and with the price tag as well. It should really be a phone that you can turn into a PC and check emails, work in Excel, Word, be on Skype, run company software etc. it will be a completely different kind of productivity than on iPhone. This will be really a device for work, rather than a phone.

Agree. I'm not saying it won't have its place, just initially it will be enterprise and diehards. iPhone has nothing to worry about with consumers, for the next several years anyways.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to disagree. Most iPhone users are into Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp. They check an occasional email, Facebook post,etc. or YouTube clip but they generally don't care about productivity. I, on the other hand, don't have any of those apps I mentioned above except for FB so my wife can share a funny clip or picture. I want that productivity, hence my x3. But I know I'm in the extreme minority which is why I gravitate towards Windows and BlackBerry. The battle lines have been drawn and the consumer space belongs to iOS and Android. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking this mythical Surface Phone will come swinging down off its vine to slay the dragons in power. BlackBerry is very profitable as a service right now at the Enterprise table and Microsoft wants the bigger piece of chicken.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site

Let me remind you that Android is the most used OS in the world. I think that says a lot against your statements since in emerging markets phones are slowly becoming people's main computing machines (India alone has 1.5 billion inhabitants, not to mention China's 2 billion). Lumia 950 & XL and HP Elite x3 had those PC capabilities and for some reason I don't think they sold well despite HP's decent attempt at marketing.

Also people won't be buying the S8 and S8+ because of Samsung Dex, but because of the nice design and the apps that are present on Android. We're still very far from Continuum-like solutions becoming mainstream, most of the people just want a phone with apps that looks good as @TgeekB already mentioned.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think people confuse or have different definitions for productivity.
There's working with data and editing spreadsheets, and then there's looking up where the best price for a widget is near your home. The second one is used by consumers 1000-1 over the first.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I think that the success of a Windows phone like product is going to depend on how 'uniquely' innovative it is, and how competitive resistant it is - I mean if the other two can duplicate all the features in their next intro cycle, than a Windows benefit would be short lived and ultimately be, for not. If the uniqueness level was comparable to what the Surface Pro introduced to the tablet market, and unable to be instantly copied, or closely duplicated for two or three of the competitors intro cycles, than I believe Windows Mobile could ride on the momentum of the Surface Brand, and would become a strong contender in the mobile market.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think that the success of a Windows phone like product is going to depend on how 'uniquely' innovative it is, and how competitive resistant it is - I mean if the other two can duplicate all the features in their next intro cycle, than a Windows benefit would be short lived and ultimately be, for not. If the uniqueness level was comparable to what the Surface Pro introduced to the tablet market, and unable to be instantly copied, or closely duplicated for two or three of the competitors intro cycles, than I believe Windows Mobile could ride on the momentum of the Surface Brand, and would become a strong contender in the mobile market.

I think you're right about uniqueness. Along with that it must have a positive user experience and great marketing so people begin to think differently and want to use it. Those two are the big stumbling blocks.

If I have a device I'm happy with and covers my needs, why switch? Well, it's different, it can do "this"! Why do I care that it can do "this"? Because... (enter marketing campaign here). Kinda sounds like what Apple did, right? Remember how they sold being different? They also backed it up with a great user experience and best in class support. It doesn't mean it can't be done again, but does MS have what it takes to pull it off?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone who works for Microsoft been saying anything at all anywhere about this "Surface Phone"?

I'd really like to know.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
ASUS makes "Surface" for MS

A "Surface Phone Pro" that could run Android 8 (App level 26) apps would be fantastic! App problem solved! But with with Win10M RS3 OS that also can run PC Win32 software at the same time!

Snapdragon 836 & 6GB of RAM, 64GB/128GB UFS v2, MicroSDXC UHS I, 5"/6" 4K OLED, 4000 mAh battery (lithium-metal) are some upcoming hardware that will be boned iPhone 8 (iOS11)

Sent from Lumia 950XL

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
I think you're right about uniqueness. Along with that it must have a positive user experience and great marketing so people begin to think differently and want to use it. Those two are the big stumbling blocks.

If I have a device I'm happy with and covers my needs, why switch? Well, it's different, it can do "this"! Why do I care that it can do "this"? Because... (enter marketing campaign here). Kinda sounds like what Apple did, right? Remember how they sold being different? They also backed it up with a great user experience and best in class support. It doesn't mean it can't be done again, but does MS have what it takes to pull it off?

well..why switch ? samsung sells a lot of phone each year. the s6 can easily handle general consumer needs : using fb.twiiter.instagram & playing some games. then why buy a s8 when u can do all things nicely on a s6?? why buy an iphn7 when u can play things nicely on iphn6 ??c

apart from hardware changes, the software remains the same.
but in the end of the day, both samsung & apple manages to sell their phones in a bigger number!! how?? why people bother to buy a new phone every year??

I think that answers all. waiting for the ultimate productivity phone!!

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
ASUS makes "Surface" for MS

A "Surface Phone Pro" that could run Android 8 (App level 26) apps would be fantastic! App problem solved! But with with Win10M RS3 OS that also can run PC Win32 software at the same time!

Snapdragon 836 & 6GB of RAM, 64GB/128GB UFS v2, MicroSDXC UHS I, 5"/6" 4K OLED, 4000 mAh battery (lithium-metal) are some upcoming g that will be boned iPhone 8 (iOS11)

Sent from Lumia 950XL

Asus? sounds interesting!!

well the screen has to be foldable for running win32 apps. if it runs Android , making UWP apps will not have any point. rather it can have an android emulator for getting people used to use the phone. then devs will automagically make the native UWP switch.

combination of hololens camera, lite xbox gaming & pc capabilities will make the s.phone stand out from the rest.

pc + lite xbox gaming + hololens camera + phone = Surface Phone!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12