4 in 1 : Surface Phone?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
pc + lite xbox gaming + hololens camera + phone = Surface Phone!!

A portable device that has that kind of power simply doesn't exist. Battery power will always be an issue, unless you want some big clunky thing, then you might as well get a laptop.

Not only that, it would be priced way to high that anyone would want to pay for it.

You can make 'anything' the question is, will people buy it and will it be worthwhile?

Regardless what this 'mythical' savour phone might be, Microsoft has to want to sell it. Going by what we know so far, there's little desire for phones and then you still need to attract people away from what they know already. Good luck with that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
well..why switch ? samsung sells a lot of phone each year. the s6 can easily handle general consumer needs : using fb.twiiter.instagram & playing some games. then why buy a s8 when u can do all things nicely on a s6?? why buy an iphn7 when u can play things nicely on iphn6 ??c

apart from hardware changes, the software remains the same.
but in the end of the day, both samsung & apple manages to sell their phones in a bigger number!! how?? why people bother to buy a new phone every year??

I think that answers all. waiting for the ultimate productivity phone!!

The answer to these questions is desire. Some people want the latest and greatest hardware. Some like the idea of 'new'. The S8 and S8+ brought out the idea of curved screen and virtually bezeless phone.

With iPhone it's a similar thing. It's the hype. The idea of having the best. It's really personal opinion at the end of the day.

Consumer mentality is about having what others don't have and making people want to have it. It's shallow but that's how it works.

That's why Microsoft has an uphill battle with consumers. The question will always be, is Windows Mobile desirable?

I personally think their target audience is enterprise and I think that's where they should have started to being with. They probably would have done better.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually can't think of anything that I need that my smartphone doesn't give me at this point in time.

Look and feel, camera, e-mail, messaging, social media, apps available and general ease of use with good battery time are just about perfect for me with my chosen device.

Too much is a determent as far as I see.
I think name brand device manufacturers are having difficulty figuring out what the best balance is.
These days it's getting very hard to charge big money for phones that really don't elevate the technology by much.

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
A portable device that has that kind of power simply doesn't exist. Battery power will always be an issueu, unless you want some big clunky thing, then you might as well get a laptop.

Not only that, it would be priced way to high that anyone would want to pay for it.

running on arm processor should not hamper battery life. u should take a look a concept named surface note which is based on ms patent which isnt BIG CLUNKY .beleive me that looks sexier than any iPhones.

price should not higher than top end iphones. price may be a little higher bcoz of dual screens but that should worth it.

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
The answer to these questions is desire. Some people want the latest and greatest hardware. Some like the idea of 'new'. The S8 and S8+ brought out the idea of curved screen and virtually bezeless phone.

With iPhone it's a similar thing. It's the hype. The idea of having the best. It's really personal opinion at the end of the day.

Consumer mentality is about having what others don't have and making people want to have it.

The same thing can be applied for a catagory device like Surface Phone with heavy marketing. Thats it

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The same thing can be applied for a catagory device like Surface Phone with heavy marketing. Thats it

If it was that simple, don't you think MS would have done it by now? Your optimism is great but the issue is that people like what they like. They need a reason to change, a very good reason. Xbox gaming, PC like experience are not going to cut it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
running on arm processor should not hamper battery life. u should take a look a concept named surface note which is based on ms patent which isnt BIG CLUNKY .beleive me that looks sexier than any iPhones.

price should not higher than top end iphones. price may be a little higher bcoz of dual screens but that should worth it.

No phone with dual screen has been well received yet.

Also, concepts are just that.

Again, to state the obvious. MS can bring out anything they want and people won't buy it because it doesn't do what they want. Doesn't have the apps they want. Doesn't have the ecosystem they want. Doesn't have the social media they want. At this point in time, apps are big. Whether that changes in 5 - 10 years is irrelevant. If you want to succeed in mobile, you need apps and I mean apps that people want.

For MS fans, when/if a Surface phone ever comes along, it will be, yet again, for them and maybe enterprise might be interested. No one else will care. That's reality.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I actually can't think of anything that I need that my smartphone doesn't give me at this point in time.

Look and feel, camera, e-mail, messaging, social media, apps available and general ease of use with good battery time are just about perfect for me with my chosen device.

Too much is a determent as far as I see.
I think name brand device manufacturers are having difficulty figuring out what the best balance is.
These days it's getting very hard to charge big money for phones that really don't elevate the technology by much.

I can think of a few things phone's could do that people would appreciate:

*Not have ads
*Not have in-app purchases
*Interface with the human being in a more human-centric manner. rather than tapping on glass
*type in a less annoying way
*have longer than a days battery life
*have a display that you don't have to hold 1 foot from your face and peer at, to see clearly
*be a size and shape that is comfortable and ideal for using as a phone
*be able to be used like a piece of paper,
*Be able to anticipate your needs and act proactively

As far as need goes, people don't "need" smartphones.

They only came to feel like it was a need when they were in commonplace useage. In that sense, nothing "new" would be needed, and would become universally needed, the moment it was universally used, whether that was a jack in the back of your brain, a chip in your hand, or whatever else.

Before smartphones people used features phones and they lacked nothing. Before feature phones they used basic mobile phones, and they lacked nothing. Before mobile phones, they used landlines and pagers, and they lacked nothing. Somewhere back in history, is a half naked dude roaming the African plains, and he lacked nothing. These are essentially conveniences that we pay for with our extremely long work weeks, that make us slowly more dependent, and less resilient, until we end up like the fat people with screens glued to their face in wall-e.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If it was that simple, don't you think MS would have done it by now? Your optimism is great but the issue is that people like what they like. They need a reason to change, a very good reason. Xbox gaming, PC like experience are not going to cut it.

Disagree on gaming. Gaming is quite mainstream. If someone delivered a gaming centric phone experience, with near more dedicated device quality titles, it would sell like hotcakes in the under 35 groups.

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site

Look and feel, camera, e-mail, messaging,social media, apps available and general ease of use with good battery time are just about perfect for me with my chosen device.

I get ur point. consumers tend to buy new phones. let's see what happens

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Disagree on gaming. Gaming is quite mainstream. If someone delivered a gaming centric phone experience, with near more dedicated device quality titles, it would sell like hotcakes in the under 35 groups.

If you read the statement correctly, I said a gaming experience and PC experience alone is not going to make a difference to someone adopting a phone and it's ecosystem.

The phone 'may' sell but it would treated like a game console instead of their daily driver. There is a difference.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I can think of a few things phone's could do that people would appreciate:

*Not have ads
*Not have in-app purchases
*Interface with the human being in a more human-centric manner. rather than tapping on glass
*type in a less annoying way
*have longer than a days battery life
*have a display that you don't have to hold 1 foot from your face and peer at, to see clearly
*be a size and shape that is comfortable and ideal for using as a phone
*be able to be used like a piece of paper,
*Be able to anticipate your needs and act proactively

As far as need goes, people don't "need" smartphones.

They only came to feel like it was a need when they were in commonplace useage. In that sense, nothing "new" would be needed, and would become universally needed, the moment it was universally used, whether that was a jack in the back of your brain, a chip in your hand, or whatever else.

Before smartphones people used features phones and they lacked nothing. Before feature phones they used basic mobile phones, and they lacked nothing. Before mobile phones, they used landlines and pagers, and they lacked nothing. Somewhere back in history, is a half naked dude roaming the African plains, and he lacked nothing. These are essentially conveniences that we pay for with our extremely long work weeks, that make us slowly more dependent, and less resilient, until we end up like the fat people with screens glued to their face in wall-e.

We can go back millions of years and there wasn't any humans and the animals were 'content' (for the most part)... :p

That list of things on a phone you have there... some is not phone related, some is possible now, others are *shurgs*...

You want to get technical, we could go back to having 'a phone' and another device for doing tasks, but then we're going backwards instead of forwards.

Unless you want to go cyborg, there's always going to be an interface of some sort.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If you read the statement correctly, I said a gaming experience and PC experience alone is not going to make a difference to someone adopting a phone and it's ecosystem.

The phone 'may' sell but it would treated like a game console instead of their daily driver. There is a difference.

Yeah, I don't agree with that. I think if there's a phone that does basic stuff like facebook and Instagram, browser, and it also plays game console level games, people will use it, as their daily driver.

For those 30% or so of the population, the under 35s that are gamers, the convenience of having that console with them, at all times, without carrying an extra device would be a huge selling point. Plus, such a device is imminently more marketable and exciting that most consumer phones.

The huge disadvantage of something like the switch - is you have to carry this extra thing with you. You are already carrying a phone.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
We can go back millions of years and there wasn't any humans and the animals were 'content' (for the most part)... :p

That list of things on a phone you have there... some is not phone related, some is possible now, others are *shurgs*...

You want to get technical, we could go back to having 'a phone' and another device for doing tasks, but then we're going backwards instead of forwards.

Unless you want to go cyborg, there's always going to be an interface of some sort.

I was responding to someone basically saying "the smartphone is complete" and "it does everything I need". I don't think when the iPhone was released, anyone needed it at all, on any level.

We "need" it today, because we are used to the conveniences it enabled. The same is true of any future tech, or any past tech.

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
Again, to state the obvious. MS can bring out anything they want and people won't buy it because it doesn't do what they want. Doesn't have the apps they want. Doesn't have the ecosystem they want. Doesn't have the social media they want. At this point in time, apps are big. Whether that changes in 5 - 10 years is irrelevant. If you want to succeed in mobile, you need apps and I mean apps that people want.

For MS fans, when/if a Surface phone ever comes along, it will be, yet again, for them and maybe enterprise might be interested. No one else will care. That's reality.

seems u havent read my previous comments. when folded, it will run uwp apps & behave like a phone. when unfolded it will run win32 apps like bluestacks. it is what Cshell is meant to be

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site

seems you aren't ready to accept anyones point.*

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I don't agree with that. I think if there's a phone that does basic stuff like facebook and Instagram, browser, and it also plays game console level games, people will use it, as their daily driver.

For those 30% or so of the population, the under 35s that are gamers, the convenience of having that console with them, at all times, without carrying an extra device would be a huge selling point. Plus, such a device is imminently more marketable and exciting that most consumer phones.

The huge disadvantage of something like the switch - is you have to carry this extra thing with you. You are already carrying a phone.
sony might soon release switch like console following nintendos success

Momin Shaikh1

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
I was responding to someone basically saying "the smartphone is complete" and "it does everything I need". I don't think when the iPhone was released, anyone needed it at all, on any level.

Exactly. This is what I'm trying to say. no one needed a cell phone in 1950. but people's had alternative way to communicate at that time.

You can't say your child will be honest or
not before he/she is born.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)