07-08-2017 02:41 PM
90 1234
tools
    now you see the picture. fundamentals for the surface phone should be ready in late 2018. unless 2018 brings foldable screen technology for consumers , then unfortunately we have to wait for the mythical device. it all depends on when the folding screen tech comes out!!!

there you have it.
    They patented device with two or three screens, I don't think they'll wait the foldable screen.

seems u have messed up everything... w10m is dead in the water.. Cshell is the future which is full windows 10
    Cshell is not full Windows 10 only. The leaked builds run cshell on Windows mobile.

If its some kind of rigid, none flexible forefunner, that may come next year or soon, and I believe MSFT is working on this, but it's not going to be exactly what people imagine I don't think. It'll be sort of focused on a dual screen UI, rather the focused on a larger single screen to de-emphasize the screen creases.
    Totally agree, the revolution of the first iphone was in the way you used your phone, not in the apps (which came later) and not in the touchscreen which was already on a lot of smartphones/tablet (though it was a worst technology). It was about the interaction you had with the device, a new UI paradigm, new gestures etc;
    I think they'll try to do something similiar, new things is what attract developers.
    Last edited by Vittorio Vaselli; 07-07-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    07-07-2017 07:24 AM
    Surface Phone must use the newest hardware technology!

If the Surface Phone came out Dec 2017 hardware must be: Everything my Lumia 950 XL had +

- Snapdragon 836
    - 6GB RAM
    - 64GB UFS v2
    - MicroSDXC UHS I
    - 6th generation Purview Camera
    - IP68 Certified
    - QHD 1440p Flip display
    - Gorilla glass 5
    - 4000 mAh battery 3rd gen (Li-Medal)

If the Surface Phone comes out 6 months later May 2018 hardware must be:

- Snapdragon 845
    - 8GB RAM
    - 128GB UFS v2
    - MicroSDXC UHS II
    - 7th generation Purview Camera
    - IP68 Certified
    - UHD 2160p Flip display
    - Gorilla glass 6
    - 4000 mAh battery 3rd gen (Li-Medal)

Specs ONLY go up every year! Microsoft must have best of the best of the time!

every one keep talking about "Snapdragon 835 & 4GB of RAM" is absolutely old in the upcoming months. Even Samsung upcoming Note 8 is using "Snapdragon 836 & 6GB of RAM"......so MSFT must have premium specs!

My opinion

Sent from Lumia 950XL
    I like it. Pack me 2 please.
    07-07-2017 08:42 AM
    Specs ONLY go up every year! Microsoft must have best of the best of the time!
    It seems to me that for everyone who says that there will be one person saying it needs to attack the low end of the market.
    Drael646464 and travisel like this.
    07-07-2017 10:12 AM
    There are many reasons one might say windows phone has been less successful. They would all be guesses, unless anyone wants to present any data or proof.
    I think consumers interest(driven by apps availability) towards wp is the proof

graphene, which is what flexible screens are made of, is incredibly expensive to produce. The tiny scrolling screen Samsung demo'd back in 2013 cost somewhere in the region of 50,000 USD to produce a proto of.

And that's not something mass production helps with. because graphene is incredibly hard to make.

This is why the market is not already flooded with folding and scrolling screens. The tech exists, the space-age material its made from is too expensive. Even if it is made cheaper (we are talking btw, about a nano-material, something built at the atomic level), it will still initially be too expensive for consumer facing products. It would be like the first mobile phones - for the rich, for the CEO's of large companies.

Any folding screen tech released now, or soon, would either have a gap/crease, or be very expensive. And if it was the former, it would be more like a 'work in progress" device, a "new idea using old technology" than a world changing piece of sci-fi.
    I don't have a degree on material engineering. so I can't tell what folding screens be made of. If it's too much expensive for consumer, then I have to believe ms/lg/samsung are working on alternatives like dual/triple screens and of coursely ms, bcoz they have that kind of patents.

Agree with rest
    travisel likes this.
    07-07-2017 11:06 AM
    They patented device with two or three screens, I don't think they'll wait the foldable screen
    I agree. surface phone may not have foldable screen, it may have dual/triple screen combo. thinking this way makes sense if we follow ms recent patents.

Cshell is not full Windows 10 only. The leaked builds run cshell on Windows mobile
    I strongly disagree here.. Cshell or composable shell is indeed full windows 10 which can scale according to devices. It will replace the legacy windows shell found on windows desktops. A quick google search on windows Cshell/composable shell will reveal more info. I have been following Cshell news since day one of it's announcement.
    travisel likes this.
    07-07-2017 11:41 AM
    I don't know what folding tech will ms make.. maybe the dual screen UI you have referred.

after recently seeing various patents from ms, I can assume something game changer is comming sooner combining both smartphone & holographic tech

ms slowly progressing toward a Surface Phone. Can't u see it? they are cooking up Cshell, having folding screen patents.
    after WOA & hololens gets consumer ready , we should see the Surface Phone in action

surface hardware factory is there to back up!!

surface phone wouldnt have any app issue. it runs full windows10. so win32 apps can run naturally including bluestacks. this is the natural solution.

or ms will make a sandboxed Android emulator. bcoz when unfolded the surface phone runs in desktop mode, when folded behaves like a phone

stop reading that Jason Ward crap
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-07-2017 01:08 PM
    Even if the fantasy is true smartphone users wouldn't run to buy some wild design with technology not used today anywhere.

Non-rabid smartphone users want status quo stability with declining prices for phones.
    07-07-2017 01:16 PM
    Even if the fantasy is true smartphone users wouldn't run to buy some wild design with technology not used today anywhere.

Non-rabid smartphone users want status quo stability with declining prices for phones.
    True. Hardware wasnt the problem for WPs, it was software(apps) that let down, how does SP change any of that.full windows on a pocketable device without apps is still useless, thats the reason even continuum failed to take off, it may be useful to some extent but its not game changer.
    travisel and Guytronic like this.
    07-07-2017 01:19 PM
    Some people view all this smartphone platform OS stuff as a competition.

To me it's more a matter of simple utility.
    Some are addicted most are not.

The point is Microsoft knows no one cares and fortunately they wisely won't pitch money at an unprofitable venture.
    What Microsoft says and what they will do are 2 different things.
    techiez and fatclue_98 like this.
    07-07-2017 01:50 PM

I think that comment proves current styled smartphones are on deciline
    . something new kind of handheld hardware is the future
    07-07-2017 02:23 PM
    True. Hardware wasnt the problem for WPs, it was software(apps) that let down, how does SP change any of that.full windows on a pocketable device without apps is still useless, thats the reason even continuum failed to take off, it may be useful to some extent but its not game changer.
    SP or (according to some people the mythical SP) will run Cshell which is full blown windows 10. tell me how a SP ( a full windows 10 device) will lack apps that will let it down?
    07-07-2017 02:28 PM
    People want conveniences! Where is Microsoft pay?? There been talking about it for years!! This fall all new hardware & OS ...Apple iPhone 8 iOS11, Google Pixel 2 Android 8, Samsung Note 8 and Samsung own OS slowly taking ground Tizen 4 also has pay!

Love my Lumia 950 XL but now NO 3rd party financial banking apps! I absolutely hate using my Edge browser on a little 5.7" display is nonsense to do any on the fly banking!

I love Microsoft but there very very slow bringing out finished software!....always on the backburner!! Working on it working on it they say but nothing. Social media apps are sub power to iPhone & Android.

I been only with Microsoft Mobile OS's for the last 11 years! Never thought or wanted or needed to have iPhone or Android but now Microsoft is putting nails in the Mobile coffin.

There's no more argument. UWP is not taking off! There's no more Lumia phone coming! There's no 3rd party apps coming! Now people are saying there's no "Surface Phone" coming??

2018 is the game changer for Microsoft Mobile! Live or die? Is the Surface Phone coming? with killer hardware? and all the best MSFT 1st party apps? and all the top 3rd party apps? available everywhere iPhone 8, Pixel 2, Note 8 are sold? With the biggest marketing campaigns man ever seen? (((Surface Phone))) or (((Surface Note))) or (((Surface Mobile))) or something....

My Lumia 950 XL is two years old this November 25!...I was the first person to receive the Lumia 950 XL from the MSFT Store in Edmonton!! I was dedicated to this platform! Now this device is not getting any younger and I'm trying to bite the bullet but ......less than 1% market share is it time?

I feel my Lumia 950 XL was MSFT last Mobile phone hurrah! ....and the Surface Phone is a myth.

Sent from Lumia 950XL
    Guytronic and techiez like this.
    07-07-2017 02:29 PM
    I think that comment proves current styled smartphones are on deciline
    Of course current phones are in decline.
    People want lower cost devices not something they aren't familiar with.

I think more people are returning to the basics for pocket phones.
    For myself I seldom get my smartphone out while waiting at the doctor, etc anymore...but that's me :)
    07-07-2017 02:38 PM
    Some people view all this smartphone platform OS stuff as a competition.

To me it's more a matter of simple utility.
    Some are addicted most are not.

The point is Microsoft knows no one cares and fortunately they wisely won't pitch money at an unprofitable venture.
    What Microsoft says and what they will do are 2 different things.
    Why don't you understand without a Surface Phone like device, ms will be doomed?? and no company certainly wants that.

surface pro like tablets won't save the company in the long run. ms now realizes that without a mobile ground (where developers are) how difficult it is for them to establish their own groundbreaking innovation like hololens has been!!! mobile will play the key role of ms existence. ms knows this. by today or by the near future, ms has to win mobile. that's why surface phone argument is still going..
    07-07-2017 02:40 PM
    Why don't you understand without a Surface Phone like device, ms will be doomed??
    Doubtful.
    Microsoft will be fine with it's profitable products.
    Mobile is lost for MS and leaving it is the best path for the company currently.
    07-07-2017 02:45 PM
    Why don't you understand without a Surface Phone like device, ms will be doomed?? and no company certainly wants that.

surface pro like tablets won't save the company in the long run. ms now realizes that without a mobile ground (where developers are) how difficult it is for them to establish their own groundbreaking innovation like hololens has been!!! mobile will play the key role of ms existence. ms knows this. by today or by the near future, ms has to win mobile. that's why surface phone argument is still going..
    you want a surface phone but not MS, MS is not so deperate and hence its focus on cloud and enterprise. During the recent build, they even stopped saying mobile first cloud first, its all out cloud now,

and as for mobile focus, MS is building an ecosystem around IOS and Android devices, it is trying to connect ios and android to w10. MS will win mobile with deeper integration of windows with ios and android.

As for your argument abt full windows on mobile, full windows doesnt give the same convenience and use cases as a smartphone OS with apps. W10M already has a browser, has it replaced the app thirst for W10M users? Does my bank develop applications for full windows? I want basic photo editing apps when I quickly want beautify a photo, a full adobe suit is not a replacement for that, I still have to be on my pc to use photoshop when I need it. why do see ppl whining abt horrible facebook app on w10m, y dont they just use facebook mobile website?

and I still need a 800-1000$ laptop for a decent windows experience, 500$ laptops are slow and you think mobile hardware will give you smooth experience with full windows?

Now coming to CShell, it will make the current continuum implementation obsolete, and will mimic a desktop type experience. do anyone who needs a pc for light work can use his phone with continuum as a replacement but it still needs a space monitor, keyboard and mouse, if you try to run something like eclipse on a phone for programming, it will be a horrible experience and thats why I dont forsee CShell or full windows on a phone to be suddenly becoming a huge hit n hit ios and google markets.
    Guytronic and TgeekB like this.
    07-07-2017 03:12 PM
    Also theoretically CShell sounds lucrative but in layman terms it is similar to the adaptive/responsive websites, which adapt to the screen and I've how beautiful it can be but also how horrible it can be in some cases, same goes for CShell.
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-07-2017 03:22 PM
    2018 is the game changer for Microsoft Mobile! Live or die? Is the Surface Phone coming? with killer hardware? and all the best MSFT 1st party apps? and all the top 3rd party apps? available everywhere iPhone 8, Pixel 2, Note 8 are sold? With the biggest marketing campaigns man ever seen? (((Surface Phone))) or (((Surface Note))) or (((Surface Mobile))) or something....
    I've been holding on to my L822 for 5 years now (anticipating, hoping, wishing, sweating, crying). Not sure I'll make it past 2018 if Microsoft doesn't come out with a replacement by then.
    techiez likes this.
    07-07-2017 04:51 PM

With all due respect, your enthusiasm is commendable but you're slightly delusional if you think Microsoft's fortunes are tied to a mobile device. Microsoft is inching its way back to what made them the juggernaut they are - software and services. Let's be honest, with the exception of the x86 Surface line, their previous attempts as a manufacturer have been colossal failures. I'm talking about Kin, Zune, RT Surface and recent Lumias.
    TgeekB, Guytronic and xandros9 like this.
    07-07-2017 07:56 PM
    That's an assumption (app availability), not a proof. Consumer interest as I pointed out is not some rational deductive process. Most consumers don't even know what storage or cpu their phones have, its unlikely they have some folio on which apps are available. How is that even supposed to work, lol?

I don't have a degree on material engineering. so I can't tell what folding screens be made of. If it's too much expensive for consumer, then I have to believe ms/lg/samsung are working on alternatives like dual/triple screens and of coursely ms, bcoz they have that kind of patents.
    Yeah, I think they are working on an alternative too. The patent, and the windows code a twitter user found, suggests a dual screen device, with a magnetic hinge (under the title project Andromeda). In fact FOUR credible pieces of evidence converge on this.

1) project Andromeda, and the code that has been found for that in two places - one that lists Andromeda as having two separate sets of gyros and a hinge value, and another that lists Andromeda along side win10m and other windows skus under composable shell.
    2) Two the patent, which shows a magnetic detachable hinge, like the code does, as well as an adaptive design, like the code does.
    3) Insiders have specifically said, to thurott, that msft is working on a mobile device that runs a new windows sku, specifically in their words "a branch of win10m", which matches it being listed beside win10m, in the composable shell code.
    4) In the aspirational videos, MSFT actually shows such a device, with two detachable clamshell screens, that can operate separately, or side by side.

In many ways, the surface book makes way for this sort of interopability while detached.

But such a device will have a gap/crease, and most likely the UI will need to be optimised for that, and not just for using it as one big screen.

Think westworld tablet, or the aspiration video they released, where you have separate things running on each screen, or a UI divided where the screen meets the gap/crease.

In that respect its not QUITE what people are usually imagining when they think folding tablet. Its more of a multitasking device.
    07-07-2017 09:17 PM
    That's an assumption (app availability), not a proof. Consumer interest as I pointed out is not some rational deductive process. Most consumers don't even know what storage or cpu their phones have, its unlikely they have some folio on which apps are available. How is that even supposed to work, lol?

Yeah, I think they are working on an alternative too. The patent, and the windows code a twitter user found, suggests a dual screen device, with a magnetic hinge (under the title project Andromeda). In fact FOUR credible pieces of evidence converge on this.

1) project Andromeda, and the code that has been found for that in two places - one that lists Andromeda as having two separate sets of gyros and a hinge value, and another that lists Andromeda along side win10m and other windows skus under composable shell.
    2) Two the patent, which shows a magnetic detachable hinge, like the code does, as well as an adaptive design, like the code does.
    3) Insiders have specifically said, to thurott, that msft is working on a mobile device that runs a new windows sku, specifically in their words "a branch of win10m", which matches it being listed beside win10m, in the composable shell code.
    4) In the aspirational videos, MSFT actually shows such a device, with two detachable clamshell screens, that can operate separately, or side by side.

In many ways, the surface book makes way for this sort of interopability while detached.

But such a device will have a gap/crease, and most likely the UI will need to be optimised for that, and not just for using it as one big screen.

Think westworld tablet, or the aspiration video they released, where you have separate things running on each screen, or a UI divided where the screen meets the gap/crease.

In that respect its not QUITE what people are usually imagining when they think folding tablet. Its more of a multitasking device.
    07-07-2017 09:18 PM
    Doubtful.
    doubtful? lol. a software company like ms badly needs developers.
    Microsoft will be fine with it's profitable PRODUCTS
    really? windows is no longer their cash cow. just office & cloud won't gonna save the company in the long run.
    07-08-2017 12:40 AM
    a software company like ms badly needs developers.
    OK... Lol...
    You do know that MS is sitting on massive amounts of liquidable cash right now.

I believe the amount is somewhere around $129 billion USD.
    Long term debt payoff is estimated at $65-$71 billion.

Today MS could be debt free after payoffs and still have $50 billion left.
    Fifty billion could hire and pay a lot of good developers.

You act like Microsoft needs to be saved.
    I don't see how a venture loss benefits Microsoft in any way at all.
    mattiasnyc likes this.
    07-08-2017 01:03 AM
    MS will win mobile with deeper integration of windows with ios and android.
    ms will win? how? without a platform ?

As for your argument abt full windows on mobile, full windows doesnt give the same convenience and use cases as a smartphone OS with apps. W10M already has a browser, has it replaced the app thirst for W10M users? Does my bank develop applications for full windows? I want basic photo editing apps when I quickly want beautify a photo, a full adobe suit is not a replacement for that, I still have to be on my pc to use photoshop when I need it. why do see ppl whining abt horrible facebook app on w10m, y dont they just use facebook mobile website?

and I still need a 800-1000$ laptop for a decent windows experience, 500$ laptops are slow and you think mobile hardware will give you smooth experience with full windows?
    what? why u need a pc when u have a pc in ur hand? have u eever heard about Windows on ARM? when unfolded, the SP will be at least 10" device. (5"*2)

Now coming to CShell, it will make the current continuum implementation obsolete, and will mimic a desktop type experience. do anyone who needs a pc for light work can use his phone with continuum as a replacement but it still needs a space monitor, keyboard and mouse, if you try to run something like eclipse on a phone for programming, it will be a horrible experience and thats why I dont forsee CShell or full windows on a phone to be suddenly becoming a huge hit n hit ios and google markets.

Also theoretically CShell sounds lucrative but in layman terms it is similar to the adaptive/responsive websites, which adapt to the screen and I've how beautiful it can be but also how horrible it can be in some cases, same Cshell.
    Again you are repeating the same thing. why u need keyboard? why u need continuum? Cshell horrible? where? have u ever tried it? arguing without valid point is useless
    07-08-2017 01:10 AM
    With all due respect, your enthusiasm is commendable but you're slightly delusional if you think Microsoft's fortunes are tied to a mobile device. Microsoft is inching its way back to what made them the juggernaut they are - software and services. .
    Soft? okay. remove windows from Microsoft's history and then imagine Microsoft!! I might be delusional. but mobiles are where developers are!!
    07-08-2017 01:19 AM
90 1234