Surface Phone : When? The Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsai0

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
peoples have been wondering when the mythical Surface Phone arrives. okay let's try to find an appropriate answer.

Last edited:

Sagnik Pal

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
There are many dates. All of them being rumored, the most heard is around mid-2018. But who knows? Microsoft said they will be bringing a new 'ultimate mobile device' which might not be the Surface phone. Let's wait and watch what happens.

imsai0

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
I will try to answer that in a nutshell..

well. ms has five type of devices that run windows :

pc,xbox,hololens,mobile & IoT.

this year ms has released the xbox one x which is the ultimate console
which can easily last for 3 years. say till 2020. that means enough time for ms to work on other 4 types of devices. next the pc.

this year, we will see the ultimate form factors laptop which ms say the Windows on ARM always connected PCs. this should happen this year. after that, comes the hololens

apple has been growing aggressively with it's ARkit move. so it wouldnt be wise for ms to be lazy. they should begin developing consumer facing AR HMDs either this year (2017) or next year (2018). ms has to prepare & complete consumer facing AR HMDs by 2018. [I am well aware that ms said, consumer facing AR is 5 years away, but considering the apple pressure it should be ready by 2k18,otherwise its DOA.]

IoT isn't consumer facing category. so let it be out from this thread.

now you see the picture. fundamentals for the surface phone should be ready in late 2018. unless 2018 brings foldable screen technology for consumers , then unfortunately we have to wait for the mythical device. it all depends on when the folding screen tech comes out!!!

there you have it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The issue with a folding screen is that anything rigid and not hinged that folds over one spot repeatedly will fail sooner than later and also be pretty thick when folded. Ask someone in Materials.

And you're also not noting that MS currently just doesn't care about trying in mobile right now nor will an attempt really take off without fundamentals and MS is letting what fundamentals they have leave Windows Phone with its minimal effort. And legacy UWP programs and Continuum on mobile will only do so much (not much) to attract attention. And that's assuming they do go that path.

MS also is huge and has divisions so Xbox's activity isn't really going to drastically affect OneDrive or Windows.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has always been a company that provides updates for software products...it's what they do best.
The company has bound itself to provide updates as usual of course.

I still believe Microsoft has completely shelved any plans to service it's mobile platform with any handheld device.
Far as I see with absolutely no backing from any hardware manufacturer there will be no Surface phone.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
If some of what Nadella and others have said is true, then in the big scheme of things this will happen sooner or later. I mean, after all, if you end up with Windows 10 on ARM on tablets and laptops, why would MS or someone else NOT shrink that device to a phone-size device? I mean, is there a reason not to?

If people buy Win 10 on smaller battery efficient devices as well as laptops and desktops, then the impetus to get a smaller device may very well be there.

Really the only question I see is if users get the apps they think they need that aren't currently there (meaning they'd have to be UWP and cShell etc).

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
MS Surface are made by a ASUS owned subsidiary!

Why would MSFT be making Win10M RS3 OS for NO device?

There something coming! I believe it's more likely a Surface RT2 or Win10 RT reboot of some sort but this time it can use full Win32 software and have Phone capabilities, some people say it's a "Surface Note" device giving upcoming Samsung Note 8 direct competition? Other people say the device was the never released "Surface Mini" device renamed "Surface Mobile" ? ....there so many names floating around but the most common is "Surface Phone" witch could be a combination of all of them??

If Microsoft wants % of the mobile phone market with the big 3 Mobile companies controlling everything! Apple, Google, Samsung......Microsoft has no choice but to follow Blackberry & Nokia by joining Android 8 (API level 26) just to keep % of Mobile market! ......I mean not full Android OS but a Wrapper around or emulator like BlueStacks or bridge side loading access to there million of apps!.........Or dual OS boot or overlay just until they get UWP up and running! Microsoft is running out of time! With all competition having new OS's coming!! Apple iOS11, Google Android 8, Samsung Tizen 4 making no Mobile market room? Microsoft needs to rediscover it self. Microsoft Surface Phone device with a Win10M RS3 OS is what we all are waiting for! I don't want to move too Apple iPhone 8 or Google Pixel 2 or other 3rd party Android devices'........Microsoft give us devoted MSFT Mobile OS something for us to upgrade too!

Sent from Lumia 950XL

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Surface Phone must use the newest hardware technology!

If the Surface Phone came out Dec 2017 hardware must be: Everything my Lumia 950 XL had +

- Snapdragon 836
- 6GB RAM
- 64GB UFS v2
- MicroSDXC UHS I
- 6th generation Purview Camera
- IP68 Certified
- QHD 1440p Flip display
- Gorilla glass 5
- 4000 mAh battery 3rd gen (Li-Medal)

If the Surface Phone comes out 6 months later May 2018 hardware must be:

- Snapdragon 845
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB UFS v2
- MicroSDXC UHS II
- 7th generation Purview Camera
- IP68 Certified
- UHD 2160p Flip display
- Gorilla glass 6
- 4000 mAh battery 3rd gen (Li-Medal)

Specs ONLY go up every year! Microsoft must have best of the best of the time!

every one keep talking about "Snapdragon 835 & 4GB of RAM" is absolutely old in the upcoming months. Even Samsung upcoming Note 8 is using "Snapdragon 836 & 6GB of RAM"......so MSFT must have premium specs!

My opinion

Sent from Lumia 950XL

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If its a graphene flexible screen tech you are imagining, it will be too expensive initially to be a consumer facing device. That will thus take time to reach consumers, and initially be enterprise/elite.

If its some kind of rigid, none flexible forefunner, that may come next year or soon, and I believe MSFT is working on this, but it's not going to be exactly what people imagine I don't think. It'll be sort of focused on a dual screen UI, rather the focused on a larger single screen to de-emphasize the screen creases.

It's definitely not a slab.

The path to high grade HMD AR, and flexible screens will take time for the manu and products to evolve, as the mobile phone itself had to go through. Until then they will likely be niche.

But I think something of an "enabling technology" is coming, its just not the "total game changer" fans might expect, more of a minor mass marketshare catergory creator.

imsai0

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
If its a graphene flexible screen tech you are imagining, it will be too expensive initially to be a consumer facing device. That will thus take time to reach consumers, and initially be enterprise/elite.

If its some kind of rigid, none flexible forefunner, that may come next year or soon, and I believe MSFT is working on this, but it's not going to be exactly what people imagine I don't think. It'll be sort of focused on a dual screen UI, rather the focused on a larger single screen to de-emphasize the screen creases.

It's definitely not a slab.

The path to high grade HMD AR, and flexible screens will take time for the manu and products to evolve, as the mobile phone itself had to go through. Until then they will likely be niche.

But I think something of an "enabling technology" is coming, its just not the "total game changer" fans might expect, more of a minor mass marketshare catergory creator.

I don't know what folding tech will ms make.. maybe the dual screen UI you have referred.

after recently seeing various patents from ms, I can assume something game changer is comming sooner combining both smartphone & holographic tech

The issue with a folding screen is that anything rigid and not hinged that folds over one spot repeatedly will fail sooner than later and also be pretty thick when folded. Ask someone in Materials.

And you're also not noting that MS currently just doesn't care about trying in mobile right now nor will an attempt really take off without fundamentals and MS is letting what fundamentals they have leave Windows Phone with its minimal effort. And legacy UWP programs and Continuum on mobile will only do so much (not much) to attract attention. And that's assuming they do go that path.

MS also is huge and has divisions so Xbox's activity isn't really going to drastically affect OneDrive or Windows.

ms slowly progressing toward a Surface Phone. Can't u see it? they are cooking up Cshell, having folding screen patents.
after WOA & hololens gets consumer ready , we should see the Surface Phone in action

Microsoft has always been a company that provides updates for software products...it's what they do best.
The company has bound itself to provide updates as usual of course.

I still believe Microsoft has completely shelved any plans to service it's mobile platform with any handheld device.
Far as I see with absolutely no backing from any hardware manufacturer there will be no Surface phone.

surface hardware factory is there to back up!!

If some of what Nadella and others have said is true, then in the big scheme of things this will happen sooner or later. I mean, after all, if you end up with Windows 10 on ARM on tablets and laptops, why would MS or someone else NOT shrink that device to a phone-size device? I mean, is there a reason not to?

If people buy Win 10 on smaller battery efficient devices as well as laptops and desktops, then the impetus to get a smaller device may very well be there.

Really the only question I see is if users get the apps they think they need that aren't currently there (meaning they'd have to be UWP and cShell etc).

surface phone wouldnt have any app issue. it runs full windows10. so win32 apps can run naturally including bluestacks. this is the natural solution.

or ms will make a sandboxed Android emulator. bcoz when unfolded the surface phone runs in desktop mode, when folded behaves like a phone

Last edited by a moderator:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
surface hardware factory is there to back up!!

It's already manufacturing Surfaces. Which are laptops, tablets or desktops. It's tough to retool a factory.

ms slowly progressing toward a Surface Phone. Can't u see it? they are cooking up Cshell, having folding screen patents.
after WOA & hololens gets consumer ready , we should see the Surface Phone in action

CShell isn't anything remarkable so far, companies patent everything they can, regardless of intent to use in the future.

surface phone wouldnt have any app issue. it runs full windows10. so win32 apps can run naturally including bluestacks. this is the natural solution.

or ms will make a sandboxed Android emulator. bcoz when unfolded the surface phone runs in desktop mode, when folded behaves like a phone

Surface Phone would have plenty of app issues.

The programs/websites I and many people use and can get on my PC are almost a completely different set than what I need on my phone.

I don't need iTunes, Office and other specialized/legacy programs on my phone nor do I need Snapchat, Instagram, Tinder or my bank on my PC.

That's the same with most people. (see UWP usage on Windows 10)

Of course, a Continuum capable phone with full 10 will be cool, but then it has to be a good laptop, desktop and phone. And Windows 10 or 10 Mobile just isn't good at being a phone right now.

Bluestacks is a clunky solution too. Using extra power, meh performance, I'm not even sure it even has Google Play Services which you need for a whole lot of apps.

and an Android emulator runs into the same issues, and also it damages the Windows Store ecosystem, hampers the user experience, (who wants to deal with sideloading?) and has already been tried in Project Astoria. You might as well get an Android phone that'll work better.

imsai0

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
MS Surface are made by a ASUS owned subsidiary!

Why would MSFT be making Win10M RS3 OS for NO device?

There something coming! I believe it's more likely a Surface RT2 or Win10 RT reboot of some sort but this time it can use full Win32 software and have Phone capabilities, some people say it's a "Surface Note" device giving upcoming Samsung Note 8 direct competition? Other people say the device was the never released "Surface Mini" device renamed "Surface Mobile" ? ....there so many names floating around but the most common is "Surface Phone" witch could be a combination of all of them??

If Microsoft wants % of the mobile phone market with the big 3 Mobile companies controlling everything! Apple, Google, Samsung......Microsoft has no choice but to follow Blackberry & Nokia by joining Android 8 (API level 26) just to keep % of Mobile market! ......I mean not full Android OS but a Wrapper around or emulator like BlueStacks or bridge side loading access to there million of apps!.........Or dual OS boot or overlay just until they get UWP up and running! Microsoft is running out of time! With all competition having new OS's coming!! Apple iOS11, Google Android 8, Samsung Tizen 4 making no Mobile market room? Microsoft needs to rediscover it self. Microsoft Surface Phone device with a Win10M RS3 OS is what we all are waiting for! I don't want to move too Apple iPhone 8 or Google Pixel 2 or other 3rd party Android devices'........Microsoft give us devoted MSFT Mobile OS something for us to upgrade too!

Sent from Lumia 950XL

dual booting will not be an option for sure. why u need w10m rs3??

surface phone runs Cshell meaning full windows 10. ms will either make custom sandboxed Android emulator for running social apps or we have to rely on bluestacks.

surface phone is a phone without app gap!!

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

imsai0

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site
I'd say around quarter-past never... But seriously, maybe in 2018?

in late 2018, the fundamentals of surface phone gets ready. then its depends up to folding screen tech revolution. I think ms is currently working on folding screen revolution.

CShell isn't anything remarkable so far, companies patent everything they can, regardless of intent to use in the future.

Surface Phone would have plenty of app issues.

I don't need iTunes, Office and other specialized/legacy programs on my phone nor do I need Snapchat, Instagram, Tinder or my bank on my PC.

That's the same with most people. (see UWP usage on Windows 10)

Of course, a Continuum capable phone with full 10 will be cool, but then it has to be a good laptop, desktop and phone. And Windows 10 or 10 Mobile just isn't good at being a phone right now.

Bluestacks is a clunky solution too.v Using extra power, meh performance, I'm not even sure it even has Google Play Services which you need for a whole lot of apps.

and an Android emulator runs into the same issues, and also it damages the Windows Store ecosystem, hampers the user experience, (who wants to deal with sideloading?) and has already been tried in Project Astoria. You might as well get an Android phone that'll work better.

I would like to know what app issue surface phone will have??

I think peoples yet have to understand surface phone theory.

Cshell means full windows 10. why u need continuum? surface phone will have foldable screen letting you use it as a windows 10 tablet or a phone when unfolded. theirs no need of continuum.

having a custom sandboxed emulator for running social Android apps or running bluestacks will not destroy windows store bcoz they will have either limited capabilities or as u said performance issues. it is just a temporary solution for consumers. rather it will encourage developers to switch native UWP apps for smooth user experience in the long run.

u have to understand a full windows 10 will never gonna have app issue. huh!!

Last edited by a moderator:

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
As long as the Surface Phone can access Android API level 26 Apps would be fantastic!

I hate using my Edge browser for all my Banking and other apps on my Lumia 950 XL!! Since all my Banking apps and alot other apps left Win10M platform last month...so pissed and disappointed with the Win10M apps situation.....Apps are very important!! I have been with Microsoft Mobile OS since WM5.0 days 11 years ago!

This is why I'm in this forum!! See what future I have with Microsoft Mobile OS.

If the Surface Phone happens but no apps and no way to run Android apps.....I'll have to leave Win10M platform for Android 8! I don't want to but what choice do I have? .....NO iOS11? NO ....Redstone 3/4/CShell Maybe if there is Android apps support? I'm so frustrated....

What to do if Surface Phone doesn't happen?

Buy Google Pixel 2 XXL? Run future MS Arrow 4 on Android 8 OS and try to keep all my 11 years of MSFT Services intact somehow? I never used iPhone or Android.......I'm at the end of my rope.

Is MSFT "Arrow" are only alternative to Surface Phone if there is no launch?

http://www.arrowlauncher.com/

Sent from Lumia 950XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)