My vision of a Surface "Phone"

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I certainly think the next big thing from Redmond will be an Mobile, ARM based, windows 10 device with cellular connectivity.

If i could wish what it was:
Be able to be put into a pocket.
200grams
have upto a 7" screen with 3:4.
Be usable with one hand or like a canvas.
be able to make phone calls but not have to hold it up to your ear.
have a pen for advanced input.
Everything else should just be industry standard top tier ARM.

how to make this happen:
360deg articulaton, (foldable or separate displays with small bezel to bring them together)
wireless headset with built in holder and charger.
- should have similar functionality to Sony Ear (https://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/smart-products/xperia-ear/).
Pen, hopefully thinner than Surface pro.
Cortana integration with everything, like seeing date in email and finding the subject to add to calendar.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
For me, a new Windows-based phone would be as striking and colorful as the early Lumia devices. I hate the also-ran metal/glass garbage OEMs keep puking out. It must have a camera button. It must have the absolute, hands down, indisputably best camera out. I'm okay it being full Windows on ARM--IF we truly do have the same apps that are on our PCs and tablets also on the phone (e.g., truly write-once apps) AND I can have virtually the same user experience I have now with Windows Phone. I literally do NOT care what the internal specs are, as long as the device runs all this very smoothly. WP7 and WP8 were gorgeous largely because the hardware ran the OS so incredibly smoothly.

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Only thing i didn't like surface name.whenever Microsoft release new phone they should release with Lumia name because Lumia is more popular than surface in lot of countries

Sent from (iOK)

Remy_S

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
For me the screen real estate, is most important, because it needs to be more productive than a normal smartphone. Ideally the screen is somewhere between 6.5 and 7". And not the elongated facebook browsing aspect ratio Samsung is pushing nowadays, but preferably 16:10 or no worse than 16:9.
Of course at the same time, the device needs to be as small as possible, so don't waste precious space on bezels! Cameras I couldn't care less about. Ok, a rear mounted camera would be nice, but I'd gladly forsake the selfie cam for a larger screen.
I don't need a super powerful CPU, just make it powerful enough to run light office apps well enough via continuum on a bigger screen.
Software wise, it should be running Win10 on ARM/Andromeda or whatever the call it with Cshell. And please design Cshell to work as well with touch interface as with a mouse. Use the things that were good about Win 8! Win 10 is still nowhere near as good when it comes to touch.

Haystack510

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10S
All Apps continuum enabled
Dual Camera Zies lenses
Wide Angle Front Facing Camera
Most Current Arm/Snapdragon 84x Series
6-7 inch screen fold or non folding.
Iris face/finger
3D touch/
Dedicated Camera Button
3:2 aspect
Pen Support
Dual Sim Support
usb C thunderbolt

microsoft111

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The camera is extremely important... it the most important spec for the Windows Phone unless it's actually going to run Windows 10 via emulation.

Print reader on glass at the bottom of the front of the phone

Hello using camera for facial recognition... Iris scanner doesn't work well enough for people wearing glasses sun or reading

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I recently got switched to an HP elite x3 after my lumia 950XL got busted and they didn't have any replacement unit. While the build quality and battery life is good, the camera and optics are not. I guess its not hard to realize that since this device is aimed at business.

So for me, what ever Surface mobile device is coming (if at all) I hope it has stellar optics that raise the bar of the 950 series and still maintains somewhat of a consumer focus in addition to business.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Very simple.
* 5" or 6" win10.arm.
* accepts uwp win10.pc profile, win10.phone profile is not necessary (no one cares anyway + win10.pc profile is literally the only choice. Window's going no where and MS is pushing it with win10.arm and win10s, etc. Unless, you want to code your own mechanism to sale, update, crack-proof, do your own advertisement old school way).
* support surface pen (be nice to have but not compulsory)

I'll dock it onto my gamepad for XPA / portable gaming.
Def gonna abandon Nexus for this "win10.portable".

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Sadly it looks like the best surface phone was announced by Samsung yesterday at the Armory in New York. It meet many of
Haystack510
's requirements. I would like it even more if like ScubaDog mentioned it looked as striking at the earlier Lumia devices. Just yesterday my son was looking at the yellow 1520 I passed on to him when I got my 950XL and he commented how great it looks. I still think it is one of the better looking phones in recent years.

Vittorio Vaselli

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I certainly think the next big thing from Redmond will be an Mobile, ARM based, windows 10 device with cellular connectivity.

200grams

how to make this happen:
360deg articulaton, (foldable or separate displays with small bezel to bring them together)
- should have similar functionality to Sony Ear (https://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/smart-products/xperia-ear/).
Cortana integration with everything, like seeing date in email and finding the subject to add to calendar.

I like the idea of the wireless headsets, would be awesome if they can be inserted in the "phone" body and recharged when not in use.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Folks keep focusing on hardware, and while critical, is the OS and UX in my opinion that needs the most focus. If must be spot on. Consistent, easy. Stellar text input, much improved context awareness for suggestions and corrections. Best in class for remembering fields and auto entry of them. Ex, why do I have to forever type my email address? It should recognize things like this by now. The best hardware in the world won't make up for an OS that has countless Bluetooth bugs, battery software issues, etc. I'm hopeful though.

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
What do I want out of a Surface phone....

Well for starters how about...
A commitment from Microsoft to the mobile platform. Enough of the endless stream of reboots. They will now have a fully unified operating system that can work for all types of computers which will now include ARM based mobile devices, there are no more excuses left. So what does this mean.
- A commitment to get a wide variety of software available on this mobile device (can also be laptop/desktop enabled this UWP after all)
- A commitment to get more than one device in the phone space
- Make it a phone first, I have a personal surface, and surface I use for work. They are highly portable devices that are only missing GSM connectivity so I can be online (almost) anywhere. Additionally, I can pick up a really powerful 2 in 1 or laptop running W10 for around $1000 if I want to. I don't want my next phone to be a tablet, make an ARM based surface device for that. A foldout screen to be able to make it work in tablet mode if fine, but I want to put it in my pocket and use it like a phone for probably 75% of the time
- A smooth as silk fully functional continuum like experience that allows me to dock and extend my display to multiple displays like I do with my work surface now.
- Over the air continuum to a single monitor or laptop is good.
- A reasonably priced lap dock companion would be nice (the HP lap dock is way over priced IMO)

- Hardware Options - I know the surface phone will be a premium device, and OK it can cost about $1000 but that should be a premium system 6GB Ram or more, every port I could want (USB-C, Mico HDMI, etc.) But give me two options, a $600 model we less specs that I buy for other family members with breaking the bank. Also partner with HP/Acatel/Acer and other manufacturers to give the consumer a few options that can range from mid priced ($400) to premium ($1200)

is this asking too much?

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but this is about a Surface Phone in particular.. Of course it would run Windows 10.. So, the hardware aspect has got to be the biggest discussion point now... You're grips belong on a W10 update, or suggestion forum..

rodneyej

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Man. This device, whether it has a folding screen, or not, needs to be cut from the same cloth as the Surface Pro. It needs to heavily rely on the design principles of the latest Surface devices. the hardware needs to perform optimally, at it's strongest, taking anything practical that you can throw at it. Thin, and light... Come in several appealing colors, have a modernized version of the 1020 camera, and take industry standard setting shots. It needs to have dual high fidelity speakers, with dedicated amplification....
SD 840 SD 845
6GB ram 8GBram
120GB rom 256GB rom
4500 mah battery
dual MSDC slots
1USBC & 1 standard USB port
photovoltaic screen
dual wireless charging support
all US carrier band support

Carlo Razzeto

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
As much as I would love to remain in the windows ecosystem I don't know if a surface phone makes much sense anymore. I think MS lost as a mobile maker. I mean really, they've burned people over and over again who will trust them again other than a few dedicated souls? So I think the best thing MS can do is take their apps, and make them available across the platforms. Edge included, maps etc. That makes the most sense.

As far as interesting concepts, the most interesting concept was the foldable phone. Except Samsung is working on it too so it's not so unique.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

200grams

how to make this happen:

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that Surface Phone would use SD835. It would use SD845 which is shipping next Spring. SD845 use 7nm process chip and 30% more powerful than SD835 with much improved battery life. It uses the new ARM Cortex-A75, A55 and Mali G72 which heavily supports the W10 MR specs. I would be very surprised if SD845 is not used for Surface Phone if there is one.

My dream Surface Phone specs would be like following:

- SD845 processor
- 3 models: 4GB/64GB SSD, 6GB/128GB SSD and 8GB/256GB SSD
- CShell based WoA 64-bit
- 5G ready with eSIM
- Graphene based foldable screen (6" when folded and 8" tablet when unfolded)
- Surface Pen support
- MR Support

The Surface Phone would run all the Windows Store apps, web apps and progressive web apps. It is built and targeting at the W10 users rather than the WP users.

user-774

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
So, the hardware aspect has got to be the biggest discussion point now... You're grips belong on a W10 update, or suggestion forum..
While that statement is true, the general sales and reception of the device still strongly depends on the OS and it's features. Remember the tight social media integration on Win8Phone? It was way above any other devices. That's why such features can leverage the device as a whole during it's release.

utg001

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I just want it to have an AMOLED display with front firing speakers, i would prefer capacitive buttons but what my Lumia 650 has taught me is that i prefer Windows on screen buttons to android ones so it wouldn't matter.

The camera must not have a bump, that bump however tiny makes the esthetics for me, don't need a 41 or even 20 mp camera if MS can deliver a quality shooter that has no bump.

Of course it's got to have Windows hello, but I'd prefer it to have a finger print sensor. Imagine if Microsoft was able to incorporate the sensor right in the display, making part or the entire display as a sensor, that would be enough to turn the heads of everyone around.

And yes, no Microsoft product would feel that way if they didn't launch a brand new operating system one year later that couldn't be installed in the old phone/s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb