03-03-2018 07:28 PM
86 1234
tools
    That is one of the reasons i think a phone/tablet hybrid is so difficult to build.
    A very good camera is an essential feature for me, as it is/will be the only one i own.
    09-20-2017 12:27 PM
    I agree as well. Even if they are focusing on enterprise, if you expect someone to replace their phone with your device, you should provide at least a camera that is equal to what you have on iPhone or Pixel.
    09-20-2017 01:43 PM
    This is literally the only reason I stuck with Windows phones for so long. If a new Surface Phone does not have a camera equal or better than my 950XL (20 megapixel), I am going Android.
    09-20-2017 01:51 PM
    Camera crucial. Extension of my mind and senses. If I need to remember, snap it:- notices, opening times, meter readings, tradesman details from side of van, that wonderful cream with a strange name. Etc etc. If I need to read it, snap it:- info from papers, magazines, adverts, that funny line in an article, that recipe, that recipe again for when i go shopping. And of course those photos that remind me of great experiences.
    A good camera that provides great photos for all occasions is essential.
    09-20-2017 01:56 PM
    I've become accustomed to having a great shooter in my pocket. Won't buy a wireless device without one.
    09-20-2017 02:05 PM
    It really comes down to this simple formula. While no doubt that MS want to position any Surface "phone" as an enterprise device, the marketplace has shown that consumer focused devices that have enterprise capabilities will win out over enterprise focused devices that can function as consumer devices as well (see Palm/BB failures and Apple/Samsung successes). Camera won't make or break a Surface "phone" from being widely adopted. It is still the App Gap that holds MS back. I can't say it enough times, they should have taken all the money they used to buy Nokie and instead spent it by giving app development grants to get the gap closed. Hell, I still think they should do this if they want to be successful. As it exists now a Surface phone with a great camera will be no different than any of the other Lumia devices which had great cameras: not widely adopted. If the camera is only mediocre then chances that even the enthusiasts won't even want to adopt it. Since camera tech is one of the main drivers of smart phone cost, if I were making a Surface "phone" I would do similar to Apple and have 3 tiers, but slightly different: no camera, acceptable camera, premium camera. All in the same housing. This way there will be a Surface "phone" for every one and every scenario. But all this will do no good if the App Gap persists :'(
    09-20-2017 02:08 PM
    camera performance is essential. if it doesn't at LEAST match iPhone X, there's no point even bothering
    09-20-2017 02:12 PM
    Camera is super important for me. I have a DSLR but rarely carry it with me. I prefer to take my phone and use the manual settings on that if I need to. Therefore I won't buy a phone without an excellent camera.
    09-20-2017 02:25 PM
    Coming from Lumia 1520 to the Elite X3 I can tell you that this step down in term of camera quality does matter.
    This is a mobile office, I need to scan documents, to send precise pictures of disorders I find on job work. So macro and focus have to be excellent, low light too. Optical stabilisation and a optical X2 zoom are a must. So yes definitly it should be about the same quality as top camera phones.
    09-20-2017 02:54 PM
    Simply, I would not want to buy it. Photography capabilities is extremely important for me. Lumia series windows phones had great camera and photography capabilities. That's why I still use Lumia series phones.

All of the giant smartphone manufacturers are compete with each other to give best photography features to the end users in these days. Because they know that the people wants to capture great photo and video with their smartphones. That's essential. If Microsoft gonna put an average camera into next mobile device, that makes me a facepalm man.

As far I know, After the Nokia's falling down, their optical engineers passed to the Apple. But Microsoft still hold the Pureview technology in their hands. But somethings changed in the future of the camera and imaging technology after the introduction of the iPhone X.
    09-20-2017 03:26 PM
    I don't spec MS to bring a great camera on their "surface phone". It's Nokia heritage last until Lumia 950. None of the current Surface Products are wearing high-end cameras...
    09-20-2017 04:11 PM
    Absolutely. Maybe the major reason that I am still using my 1020, BTW. Also the best way to convince my wife she needs to have one, too ;-)
    09-20-2017 04:29 PM
    The worst thing about Lumia cameras was THE LAG from clicking the button to capturing the photos. Probably an MS software issue as on Android I can click the shutter in quick succession and no lag. For any new MS portable device there must be NO lag, excellent picture quality, ability to cope with side lighting and a flash that prevents red eye(!).
    Timbre70 likes this.
    09-20-2017 04:59 PM
    Critical. Absolutely critical. I am holding on to my Lumia 1020 because of Windows Phone 8 and the camera. It is stupid to me why an OEM doesn't try to make a camera that EASILY is better than the competition. In my opinion, for any OEM to have any reason to brag it shouldn't even be a debate over whether or not their smartphone camera is best. If it's not painfully OBVIOUS to anyone with functioning eyes, then they're DOING IT WRONG.
    09-20-2017 06:18 PM
    I agree as well. Even if they are focusing on enterprise, if you expect someone to replace their phone with your device, you should provide at least a camera that is equal to what you have on iPhone or Pixel.
    with apple and samsung gaining good grounds with their camera, surface phone has to compete. the lumia line has a great reputation with camera, surface phone shouldn't dissapoint us
    09-20-2017 08:50 PM
    Yes. The same people that use enterprise phones leave work and take pics.
    09-20-2017 09:50 PM
    A high end phone without a great camera? Doesn't make sense at all...

... !
    09-20-2017 09:52 PM
    Since they are so far behind the Surface Phone needs to have minimum everything that everyone i used to and it really needs a good camera. It's so important that they don't cheap it on ANY thing. It even should be able to make video in super slow motion, maybe not 1000 fps like the Sony but at least 240 fps.
    09-20-2017 11:47 PM
    One of the main reasons I own a Lumia 950 XL is the good quality camera. With an average camera, I wouldn't buy a Surface phone, for me the quality of the camera is a critical feature.
    09-21-2017 01:49 AM
    Still using my 1520 and hope a surface device will replace it but ONLY if that device included a very high spec camera.
    09-21-2017 07:10 AM
    Say what you will... Call me what you want... But, this is a fact; if a new flagship Windows phone is not equipped with a stellar camera, I will go shopping for one that does.
    09-21-2017 09:43 AM
    camera is what sells phones. so yeah.
    09-21-2017 10:11 AM
    For a great number of government workers in secure areas, a camera phones are off limits. I am sure many other companies have the same policy where information has be protected and devices which could transmit secure documents in the form of pictures are prohibited. In these cases, a phone without a camera is very important to the user.
    I am in this situation with my job. I had to drill the camera out to have my phone on my desk. Yes, give us the option...with or without a camera.
    Who wants a flip phone without all of the modern tech available. A camera is not really necessary!
    09-21-2017 02:47 PM
    For a great number of government workers in secure areas, a camera phones are off limits. I am sure many other companies have the same policy where information has be protected and devices which could transmit secure documents in the form of pictures are prohibited. In these cases, a phone without a camera is very important to the user.
    I am in this situation with my job. I had to drill the camera out to have my phone on my desk. Yes, give us the option...with or without a camera.
    Who wants a flip phone without all of the modern tech available. A camera is not really necessary!
    I have had to visit companies like this. I had to put a sticker over the camera on my phone (one of those that shows if it has been removed, and they inspect it before you leave), or in some cases leave it at the reception desk. I think you will be hard pressed for any phone manufacturer to make a top end phone today without a camera. If it is a phone your company is paying for maybe Microsoft could give them the option to disable it in software, rather than in hardware or lack there of. I think you are one of the less than 1% of smart phone users that would say a camera isn't necessary.
    mtf1380 likes this.
    09-21-2017 03:11 PM
    @demar256, I am going to have to agree with @camaroz1985; I think your situation dictates 'you' buying a job-specific phone for your work... not! we should ask for two phones from MS (with and without). Hell! we can't even get one out of them!!!!!:)
    09-21-2017 03:34 PM
86 1234