Nokia to launch Windows 8 tablet later this year

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
What do you think? Would you buy a Nokia Windows 8 tablet to complement your Lumia? If the new tablet has any design elements of the Lumia's I'll be tempted.

Nokia to launch Windows 8 tablet later this year, says report | Digital Media - CNET News

Nokia could hit the Windows 8 tablet market later this year with its own 10-inch device.

Citing "sources at upstream component suppliers," DigiTimes says that Nokia will likely debut a dual-core Windows 8 tablet in this year's fourth quarter at the earliest. Microsoft hasn't yet revealed a launch date for Windows 8. But the new OS is expected to appear before year's end, either just before or early in the fourth quarter, according to most predictions.

Nokia will outsource the manufacturing of its Windows 8 tablet to Taiwan-based Compal Electronics with initial orders totaling at least 200,000 units, the sources said.

This isn't the first sign that the Finnish mobile phone maker plans to enter the Windows 8 tablet market. A Nokia executive said last November that the company is looking to add a Windows 8 tablet to its product line this coming June.

Nokia officials refused to confirm or deny the information at the time. The company had nothing to add in response to CNET's request for comment today. But given Nokia's partnership with Microsoft and its slowly growing fleet of Windows Phone Lumia handsets, a Nokia Windows 8 tablet would be a natural evolution.

Other tablet vendors have revealed plans to jump on the Windows 8 bandwagon.

Dell CEO Michael Dell told Bloomberg last week that the company aims to unveil a business-based tablet on the same day that Windows 8 debuts. HP is reportedly working on its own Windows 8 tablets for both Intel and ARM-based devices, sources recently told CNET.

Debate has already arisen as to whether Windows 8 could giveAndroid a run for its money in the tablet market.

Android tablets en masse have captured some of the market share once owned by theiPad. And certain tablets, such as the Amazon Kindle Fire, have seen healthy demand. But no individual tablet has managed to rival the iPad in sales or popularity.

Many believe the flood of Android tablets has created confusion among consumers, leading to the industry's failure to produce any one single "iPad killer." That same vulnerability could open the door for Windows 8 tablets to succeed where Android tablets have failed.

Forrester analyst Sarah Rotman Epps has even advised tablet vendors such as Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung, and HTC to switch their focus from Android toward Windows 8.

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Sounds awsome but the speculated hardware woun't win any awards.
In the spec wars that are going on now in the tablet market this a tab like this is doomed to fail.
Might be saved by the design but people arn't that smart. A bit sad ....
I would buy one for sure.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds awsome but the speculated hardware woun't win any awards.
In the spec wars that are going on now in the tablet market this a tab like this is doomed to fail.
Might be saved by the design but people arn't that smart. A bit sad ....
I would buy one for sure.

What hardware speculation? Only thing mentioned is dual core. Direction that seems to be for all first wave Windows 8 tablets. Other than that i have not seen even any speculation for the specs.
That said i don't think this digitimes report (they get about 80% of their rumors wrong) is anything new. It's pretty mich given Nokia is going to announce tablet this year or at latest early next year.

I really hope they are going to announce it in Nokia World, as i just might be attending it.

I would take ARM tablet myself over X86. Granted at the start X86 could ne needed as there's not enough of Metro apps out there, but imo it's definetly the unified ARM side that needs to get popular on consumer side if Windows wanna have any fighting chance against Android, and in somehwere far away against iPad. People want the best touch experience, and you are not getting it with mixed desktop and Metro UI.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want one - or at least not until the second or third model they make. While I still like my Lumia 800, to say that it has had teething troubles is an understatement - and that's from the company with a special relationship with MS who have been making phones for decades. I think if I were to go for a Win 8 tablet, I might be inclined to go for one made by a manufacturer who has at least made PCs before...

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll definitely get one, but I'll be curious to see how many they sell. A lot of the tablet consumers are purchasing iPads right now. I really wish this was coming sooner. It's similar to one of the issues with wp7 sales: so many people are "locked" into the apple or android ecosystem.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been hopping that Nokia did this with the same Lumia 900 form design. I will get one something i dont have to wait and see if my provider will have it..to boot it will be win8 best news i have read all day

MichaelHansen

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What do you think? Would you buy a Nokia Windows 8 tablet to complement your Lumia? If the new tablet has any design elements of the Lumia's I'll be tempted.

Nokia to launch Windows 8 tablet later this year, says report | Digital Media - CNET News
well i think that microsoft has lost the game on both phone to android and tablets to the new ipad
if windows 8 tablet is a dual core then it is game over , next year apple will put 8 core version at the market , and update the user interface with a new one from ios 6

then the primium games will be on android and apples ipad as it is now
if microsoft managed to get an 8 core tablets to market before anyone else
then thay win

MichaelHansen

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Michael

well i think that microsoft has lost the game on both phone to android and tablets to the new ipad
if windows 8 tablet is a dual core then it is game over , next year apple will put 8 core version at the market , and update the user interface with a new one from ios 6

then the primium games will be on android and apples ipad as it is now
if microsoft managed to get an 8 core tablets to market before anyone else
then thay win

remember that dualcore tablets are one year old tegra 2 tablets are from 3011 januar
ipad 2 and iphone4 the same , so microsoft is 2.5 years behind
as you can see in the games section

cut the rope , is the best that thay can do

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
remember that dualcore tablets are one year old tegra 2 tablets are from 3011 januar

its beta version what do expect ? when its final version then we can talk everyone know microsoft roles the gaming market with PC and xbox

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
People want the best touch experience, and you are not getting it with mixed desktop and Metro UI.

There's nothing about an x86 tablet that would mean a poorer touch experience than on an ARM device. You dont have to use the desktop if you dont want to but if Microsoft sticks with what they have now where more advanced settings are only available in the classic desktop then even ARM users will be exposed to the crappy legacy desktop. With x86 though you have more freedom to modify or tune your device and even upgrade OS. Who knows what kind of restrictions will be in place for ARM tablet upgrades but if the current situation with carriers is anything to go by it wont be pretty.

You seem to forget that this is a full OS, Nokia might go with dual-cores but that doesnt mean other OEM's will do the same. Lets not get into the same old argument about how many cores an OS supports, Windows 8 is a full desktop OS, the limitation is really only the developer's imagination.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 is very light in the resources it requires. Similar to Windows Phone in that way.

It will be able to provide a nice and responsive experience on a dual-core ARM processor.

I'm almost positive that it will be able to wipe the floor with any Android tablets that are in the same price range.

The iPad will still be king for a while. But that's really no surprise. But the iPads that are in the same price range as competing Windows 8 ARM tablets aren't going to be any better hardware-wise.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

First, this is a rumor by Digitimes.

Doesn't New iPad have dual core? Why aren't they burning and crashing?

4 core Tegra 3 is even losing to old iPad 2.
AnandTech - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime & NVIDIA Tegra 3 Review

If these tablets will have dual core Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 Pro(that is pretty much made for Windows 8 ARM and more than probably the SoC you will find on your first wave ARM W8 tablets), performance should be the least of the problems for Windows 8 ARM tablets.

We have again entered to the silly side when it comes to number of cores. Again it seems like Apple is the one unfortunately showing the consumers what actually matters on these devices. I can guarantee you that any Android tablet in 2012, even with 10x cores will not beat New iPad on the UI speed.

Last edited:

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Guys, need to chill with the specs... this is "Windows" 8 not "Windows Phone" 8 we're talking about here, phones may have more issue where MS has to do things in order to enable new hardware, but have you ever seen Windows needing MS to do something before it can support new hardware? Win7 already supports quadcore (****, even tricore?)

this is not an issue of OS support but rather cost for manufacturers. They need to keep the cost down in order to compete with other tablets first then release higher end models a couple month later, I'm pretty sure if you're bored enough you can slap together a machine with 8 cores and a touch screen and it'll run with out a hitch

price is the problem here...

Last edited:

sr!

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My wallet is open to anyone who comes up with the best convertible design. I have a HPtouchPad. Great for consumption but sucks for productivity. But i want to be creative and not just be consuming - not creative as what iPad shows like paint and do stuff with photos and such. I'm talking about being able to type for long without hurting my fingers, run complex trading softwares for active trading and not just manage 401K once every 3 months. at the same time have the ease of portability, read books, watch movies (entertainment) so that i have a balanced life with just one equipment. So I'm not looking for a fullblown laptop/ultrabook alone, neither am i looking for a consumption device. X86 i guess is the option for me -with a convertible - and ideally like the demo intel gave in CES. I just loved that demo. Hope Nokia can adopt these chips as well and not just go ARM-only route.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Any Nokia tablet with WP8 on it will be an day one purchase for me. I cannot stand my kindle fire, so many bugs/crashes it's nearly useless.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My wallet is open to anyone who comes up with the best convertible design. I have a HPtouchPad. Great for consumption but sucks for productivity. But i want to be creative and not just be consuming - not creative as what iPad shows like paint and do stuff with photos and such. .

+1 for this. I have a Fujitsu convertible at the moment and the ability to change to a full tablet and back to a keyboard is invaluable.
Something as thin and light as an Ultrabook with a twist screen would work for me.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
+1 for this. I have a Fujitsu convertible at the moment and the ability to change to a full tablet and back to a keyboard is invaluable.
Something as thin and light as an Ultrabook with a twist screen would work for me.

Good point! That's also why the Asus Transformer has sold well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss