Surface Mini Anyone Consider Purchasing?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All

The specs and release date hasn't been released yet however is anyone considering purchasing a Surface Mini if released?

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I am extremely interested in one. I love my Surface RT for productivity stuff but I like the idea of something smaller for entertainment.
It will ultimately come down to specs for me. I do plan to set a little money aside for one though.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If RT, yes. I believe in the concept, after all.

But, full-on Win8? Nope. If I end up using an x86 device, I'll end up relying on the desktop.
And, that's really not manageable on an ~8" screen.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe. I really just want a Surface with a Baytrail Atom in it. But I highly doubt this would be an atom based tablet. I'm sure it would/will be a great device.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Definitely interested. Have it run RT and eliminate the desktop entirely, just keep the desktop for the bigger, non-RT, Intel based models.

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I would be particularly interested in an smaller sized rt device. But it would have to wait, because I intend to upgrade to a surface 2. Win RT is the only OS that provides productivity in my line of work, teaching. At about 8 inches a mini surface would be good for strictly better portability and a device that I would allow my 3 year old to use freely.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Definitely interested. Have it run RT and eliminate the desktop entirely, just keep the desktop for the bigger, non-RT, Intel based models.

....in other words, a third version of Windows. Why do people think that removing an integral part of the OS is a trivial matter? This would not be RT or 8, but a major rewrite creating a third OS.

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
If its got a stylus and proper x86 hardware - count me in.
The Venue 8 Pro looks ok; just wish they had of built a spot in the chassis for the stylus (eg: Samsung Note 8)

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
If its got a stylus and proper x86 hardware - count me in.
The Venue 8 Pro looks ok; just wish they had of built a spot in the chassis for the stylus (eg: Samsung Note 8)

I also like the Venue * Pro - one big advantage they have in my opinion as that they plan to see a matching keyboard. None of the other OEMs aside from Acer is doing that.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would consider if it is an x86 processor and full Windows. Right now RT doesn't offer anything that full Windows doesn't. It doesn't offer a better interface for touch. If I can get similar specs, price and performance out of an x86 version compared to the ARM version, why would I want to go with a product with less functionality? There simply isn't any benefit.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
We still don't know if Bay Trail can run Win 8.1 as fast as ARM chips run RT 8.1. Win 8.1 is a heavier OS and the Atom chips being used are slower than the one found in benchmark comparisons.

Operating temperature, battery life, and device weight are all on RT's side right now. It's up to Intel to equal or better them but until it actually happens then RT still offers significant advantages. Less functionality yes but also less problems with respect to viruses or malware.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
We still don't know if Bay Trail can run Win 8.1 as fast as ARM chips run RT 8.1. Win 8.1 is a heavier OS and the Atom chips being used are slower than the one found in benchmark comparisons.

Operating temperature, battery life, and device weight are all on RT's side right now. It's up to Intel to equal or better them but until it actually happens then RT still offers significant advantages. Less functionality yes but also less problems with respect to viruses or malware.

Let's face it, Tegra 3 couldn't handle RT well. I am sure something like Snapdragon 800 will be good but we still don't know that either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb