Surface Mini Anyone Consider Purchasing?

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
No it didn't but Tegra 4 handles RT very well. I expect the same or better out of Nokia's Snapdragon based RT tablet. If Intel can come close then yeah, not much point to RT.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No it didn't but Tegra 4 handles RT very well. I expect the same or better out of Nokia's Snapdragon based RT tablet. If Intel can come close then yeah, not much point to RT.

To me, RT has to do something different to make it more touch oriented compared to Windows 8. Arm processors won the battery war for a few years now, but it has tightened up quite a bit,

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If the Surface Mini is essentially the same device as a Surface 2 scaled down (same specs, smaller screen), and it cost $349, I'd buy it in a hearbeat. I ended up returning my Surface 2 as I already have a Surface Pro, and it felt extremely redundant. For a casual device, a Surface Mini would make a fantastic companion to a more serious Surface Pro.

I don't seem them deviating from ARM on a Surface Mini considering Surface 2 with Tegra 4 runs amazingly well.

anon(8032808)

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I would consider if it is an x86 processor and full Windows. Right now RT doesn't offer anything that full Windows doesn't. It doesn't offer a better interface for touch. If I can get similar specs, price and performance out of an x86 version compared to the ARM version, why would I want to go with a product with less functionality? There simply isn't any benefit.

I've been thinking of the benefits of RT as well. Basically they should be:

A) Cheaper.
B) Longer battery life
C) Easier to user. No real hassle of viruses or anything of the responsibility and maintenance of the desktop.

I'm interested in what a 7-8 inch RT device would go for. I think they could easily sell them around the $199 mark, considering the full Windows 8 inch devices are going for $299.

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had my share of surfaces. Surface RT, Pro, Pro 2 and 2. I also picked up a venue 8. I find of all the devices I use the pro when I need to do work and the venue 8 for consumption and email. The 8" device is great foe travel. I take it and the pro 2 with me when I fly about 2 times a week. What is missing from the venue is the form factor of the surface line. If they come up with a surface mini with a kick stand that can be used portrait and landscape as well as a touch cover that would be a winner. Weather it runs rt or pro does not matter at this size to me. From what I have seen of the terga 4 and latest Gen atom both perform well and get great battery life. I will give the Venue to my 4 year old and get the surface mini.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Just waiting for the pre-order date and I'll get one. I also have a Surface Pro, but usually keep that at home. I rarely take it out of the house because I'm afraid someone will eyeball it. However, a Surface Mini would be great to have. I'd use it like I use my Acer W3, as a media and social consumption device and it would be more mobile than the Pro.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If RT, yes. I believe in the concept, after all.

But, full-on Win8? Nope. If I end up using an x86 device, I'll end up relying on the desktop.
And, that's really not manageable on an ~8" screen.

Not at all unmanageable! My Venue 8 Pro is the best tech purchase I've ever made and full Windows 8.1 is very manageable with a free onscreen trackpad. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos