03-30-2014 08:29 PM
29 12
tools
    Hi All

The specs and release date hasn't been released yet however is anyone considering purchasing a Surface Mini if released?
    10-11-2013 02:31 PM
    I am extremely interested in one. I love my Surface RT for productivity stuff but I like the idea of something smaller for entertainment.
    It will ultimately come down to specs for me. I do plan to set a little money aside for one though.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-11-2013 02:34 PM
    If RT, yes. I believe in the concept, after all.

But, full-on Win8? Nope. If I end up using an x86 device, I'll end up relying on the desktop.
    And, that's really not manageable on an ~8" screen.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-11-2013 02:37 PM
    If RT, yes. I believe in the concept, after all.

But, full-on Win8? Nope. If I end up using an x86 device, I'll end up relying on the desktop.
    And, that's really not manageable on an ~8" screen.
    But...but... Then Engadget will make fun of it, as it is only RT. Oh well...
    10-11-2013 03:32 PM
    But...but... Then Engadget will make fun of it, as it is only RT. Oh well...
    Well, who says a particular tech site's dislike of a certain OS can stop me?
    unstoppablekem and azcruz like this.
    10-11-2013 03:33 PM
    Well, who says a particular tech site's dislike of a certain OS can stop me?
    For the people that bash rt, I say "If you think this should be full windows, then why do you not want OS X on your iPad?".
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    10-11-2013 03:39 PM
    For the people that bash rt, I say "If you think this should be full windows, then why do you not want OS X on your iPad?".
    OS X on an iPad?

Hilarious.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    10-11-2013 04:11 PM
    Maybe. I really just want a Surface with a Baytrail Atom in it. But I highly doubt this would be an atom based tablet. I'm sure it would/will be a great device.
    10-11-2013 04:18 PM
    I just gave away an HP Slate 7. Its the perfect size for an RT mini-tablet.

Slate 7 Tablet | HP Official Site
    10-11-2013 04:34 PM
    Definitely interested. Have it run RT and eliminate the desktop entirely, just keep the desktop for the bigger, non-RT, Intel based models.
    10-11-2013 10:18 PM
    I would be particularly interested in an smaller sized rt device. But it would have to wait, because I intend to upgrade to a surface 2. Win RT is the only OS that provides productivity in my line of work, teaching. At about 8 inches a mini surface would be good for strictly better portability and a device that I would allow my 3 year old to use freely.
    10-11-2013 10:52 PM
    OS X on an iPad?

Hilarious.
    That's the point. Full windows on an 8 inch tablet is messed up, and tech blogs shouldn't bash it.
    10-12-2013 12:55 AM
    7" is my preference, and must be RT.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
    10-12-2013 01:05 AM
    Definitely interested. Have it run RT and eliminate the desktop entirely, just keep the desktop for the bigger, non-RT, Intel based models.
    ....in other words, a third version of Windows. Why do people think that removing an integral part of the OS is a trivial matter? This would not be RT or 8, but a major rewrite creating a third OS.
    10-12-2013 03:29 AM
    If its got a stylus and proper x86 hardware - count me in.
    The Venue 8 Pro looks ok; just wish they had of built a spot in the chassis for the stylus (eg: Samsung Note 8)
    10-12-2013 03:33 AM
    Just don't use the desktop mode and remove the tile from the start screen. Wow, now that was easy.
    10-14-2013 03:13 PM
    If its got a stylus and proper x86 hardware - count me in.
    The Venue 8 Pro looks ok; just wish they had of built a spot in the chassis for the stylus (eg: Samsung Note 8)
    I also like the Venue * Pro - one big advantage they have in my opinion as that they plan to see a matching keyboard. None of the other OEMs aside from Acer is doing that.
    10-20-2013 06:59 PM
    I would consider if it is an x86 processor and full Windows. Right now RT doesn't offer anything that full Windows doesn't. It doesn't offer a better interface for touch. If I can get similar specs, price and performance out of an x86 version compared to the ARM version, why would I want to go with a product with less functionality? There simply isn't any benefit.
    10-20-2013 08:42 PM
    We still don't know if Bay Trail can run Win 8.1 as fast as ARM chips run RT 8.1. Win 8.1 is a heavier OS and the Atom chips being used are slower than the one found in benchmark comparisons.

Operating temperature, battery life, and device weight are all on RT's side right now. It's up to Intel to equal or better them but until it actually happens then RT still offers significant advantages. Less functionality yes but also less problems with respect to viruses or malware.
    10-20-2013 08:58 PM
    We still don't know if Bay Trail can run Win 8.1 as fast as ARM chips run RT 8.1. Win 8.1 is a heavier OS and the Atom chips being used are slower than the one found in benchmark comparisons.

Operating temperature, battery life, and device weight are all on RT's side right now. It's up to Intel to equal or better them but until it actually happens then RT still offers significant advantages. Less functionality yes but also less problems with respect to viruses or malware.
    Let's face it, Tegra 3 couldn't handle RT well. I am sure something like Snapdragon 800 will be good but we still don't know that either.
    10-20-2013 09:00 PM
    No it didn't but Tegra 4 handles RT very well. I expect the same or better out of Nokia's Snapdragon based RT tablet. If Intel can come close then yeah, not much point to RT.
    10-20-2013 09:14 PM
    No it didn't but Tegra 4 handles RT very well. I expect the same or better out of Nokia's Snapdragon based RT tablet. If Intel can come close then yeah, not much point to RT.
    To me, RT has to do something different to make it more touch oriented compared to Windows 8. Arm processors won the battery war for a few years now, but it has tightened up quite a bit,
    10-20-2013 09:17 PM
    If the Surface Mini is essentially the same device as a Surface 2 scaled down (same specs, smaller screen), and it cost $349, I'd buy it in a hearbeat. I ended up returning my Surface 2 as I already have a Surface Pro, and it felt extremely redundant. For a casual device, a Surface Mini would make a fantastic companion to a more serious Surface Pro.

I don't seem them deviating from ARM on a Surface Mini considering Surface 2 with Tegra 4 runs amazingly well.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-27-2013 10:48 PM
    I would consider if it is an x86 processor and full Windows. Right now RT doesn't offer anything that full Windows doesn't. It doesn't offer a better interface for touch. If I can get similar specs, price and performance out of an x86 version compared to the ARM version, why would I want to go with a product with less functionality? There simply isn't any benefit.
    I've been thinking of the benefits of RT as well. Basically they should be:

A) Cheaper.
    B) Longer battery life
    C) Easier to user. No real hassle of viruses or anything of the responsibility and maintenance of the desktop.

I'm interested in what a 7-8 inch RT device would go for. I think they could easily sell them around the $199 mark, considering the full Windows 8 inch devices are going for $299.
    11-17-2013 11:05 PM
    If they release an Surface Pro Mini,i would defo buy one!
    11-18-2013 03:54 PM
29 12