What's the best Windows 8 Tablet, right now?

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for a Windows 8 Tablet. 8" and above.

It's going to be a gift for a university student, a study-tablet used for typical school works.

A good screen, long battery life, light weight, and Intel Bay Trail is preferred but not required .

What's the best option right now? Could wait a few weeks for a good upcoming/rumored Tablet too.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Would the Student prefer a physical keyboard and or active stylus? Also would they care for the best screen resolution?
Thx for replay :)

She has been using Laptop for several years, and got used to keyboard. I personally think she will find it easier to use a Tablet without a keyboard, al least after a while, but she may need the option under transition period. She wants a keyboard, but I don't like the idea.

Best screen resolution is not required, but a good quality screen (easy on eyes, no flicker, good colors, etc) could help a lot for long-day usage.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for a Windows 8 Tablet. 8" and above.

It's going to be a gift for a university student, a study-tablet used for typical school works.

A good screen, long battery life, light weight, and Intel Bay Trail is preferred but not required .

What's the best option right now? Could wait a few weeks for a good upcoming/rumored Tablet too.
I have an HP Envy x2 which is a hybrid. 11.5" screen, nice keyboard and has one battery in the keyboard and one in the tablet part. I have been very happy with it. Another contender would be the Asus Transformer Book T100TA. The guys on PC Magazine and many others give it very good reviews.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thx for input :)

I have an HP Envy x2 which is a hybrid. 11.5" screen,

That's using the "outdated" Intel Atom Z2760.

Asus Transformer Book T100TA. The guys on PC Magazine and many others give it very good reviews.

It got mediocre performance and I have a feeling that Asus is cutting corners to make it cheaper. But That could be an option too if I don't find something better.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Check out the Dell Venue Pro 11. It has an option for the Atom Baytrail 3770 the best atom processor currently. It also has two different attachable keyboards you can get for it. As well as a docking station.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
If you want an 8 inch option. I would suggest the Thinkpad 8. It also has the Atom Bay trail 3770. But it doesn't have an attachable keyboard. But a solution to this would just be a Bluetooth keyboard.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

I love my Surface Pro 2.
That's a great business Tablet, and can run full blown Windows 8.1 too, but I can't justify it's price premium after the arrival of Intel Bay Trail Tablets.

The ThinkPad 2 is also now available, I believe. They both have good performance track records.
The ThinkPad 8 (that's what you mean), seams to be a great Tablet. It's actually on my short list.

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
She has been using Laptop for several years, and got used to keyboard. I personally think she will find it easier to use a Tablet without a keyboard, al least after a while, but she may need the option under transition period. She wants a keyboard, but I don't like the idea.
Best screen resolution is not required, but a good quality screen (easy on eyes, no flicker, good colors, etc) could help a lot for long-day usage.

Why would you think that it would be easier without a keyboard if this is intended for study and school work??
If your going to be doing actual work on it, then a keyboard is a must, if it is just for consumption then sure you don't necessarily need one.
I use my Surface RT all the time with the keyboard since it is integrated into the cover. It just makes most things easier, but if I don't want it I can fold it back.
My sister loves her surface 2 for college. She got rid of her laptop and rarely uses her desktop.
Great screen, beautiful build quality and style, long battery life, and great keyboard integration.
I will wait for the obligatory bash of Windows RT which is a shame. The Surface 2 is really an awesome companion device for a college student if they don't need an active digitizer.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When does she need this? I would be curious what gets announced at build, and what timeline it will be actually released. but for right now, I would either get a surface pro 2 ( although the last generation is cheap at the ms store) asus note 8, or surface 2. the 8" tablets don't support larger screensize except through miracast (which is ok, just not exactly easy). I'm currently running a surface pro 2, and love it, especially with the stylus. the asus note 8 runs a Wacom stylus, which should work great, but I haven't heard of any real person's experience.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

Check out the Dell Venue Pro 11. It has an option for the Atom Baytrail 3770 the best atom processor currently. It also has two different attachable keyboards you can get for it. As well as a docking station.

Dell Venue Pro 11 sounds like a good option, but I haven't followed it much. I will look closer into it.

If you want an 8 inch option. I would suggest the Thinkpad 8. It also has the Atom Bay trail 3770. But it doesn't have an attachable keyboard. But a solution to this would just be a Bluetooth keyboard.

I believe 8.3" is a good size. Atom Bay trail 3770 is great and Bluetooth keyboard can be a good temporary option until she gets used to touch screen. Thinkpad 8 has actually been on my short list.

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Reinforcing what Slater said. It's not so much until someone "gets used to the touch screen". I have a Venue 8 Pro and I'm glad I ordered the keyboard. Sure you can type a little blurb in forums or in search bars, but if you're writing an entire article, essay, etc. the touch screen keyboard gets real cumbersome real fast. I just wanted to comment on that since it seems the keyboard is more of an afterthought here.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Why would you think that it would be easier without a keyboard if this is intended for study and school work??
If your going to be doing actual work on it, then a keyboard is a must, if it is just for consumption then sure you don't necessarily need one.
Well I finished school a long time ago, but I don't use any keyboard with my Pahblet (Nokia 1520). You may be right, maybe she needs a keyboard for school after all. I will check into it, maybe I was pushing too much.

I use my Surface RT all the time with the keyboard since it is integrated into the cover. It just makes most things easier, but if I don't want it I can fold it back.
My sister loves her surface 2 for college. She got rid of her laptop and rarely uses her desktop.
Great screen, beautiful build quality and style, long battery life, and great keyboard integration.
I will wait for the obligatory bash of Windows RT which is a shame. The Surface 2 is really an awesome companion device for a college student if they don't need an active digitizer.
Surface 2 is a great Tablet with nice hardware, but the Windows RT is "antic" already, I can't justify a RT based Tablet after the arrival of Intel Bay Trail with full blown Windows.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
When does she need this? I would be curious what gets announced at build, and what timeline it will be actually released.
Those who wait for something good does not wait in vain. She got a Laptop for now and can wait if something good is going to show up in near future. Maybe we should wait ?

but for right now, I would either get a surface pro 2 ( although the last generation is cheap at the ms store) asus note 8, or surface 2.
Surface pro 2 is still too expensive (compared to Intel Bat trail Tablets) in my local stores in Norway. The Surface 2 is based on "antic" Windows RT, but I'll look closer into asus note 8. The Microsoft is acting as a dinosaur and it's Tablet-team is lagging behind, again.

the 8" tablets don't support larger screensize except through miracast (which is ok, just not exactly easy). I'm currently running a surface pro 2, and love it, especially with the stylus. the asus note 8 runs a Wacom stylus, which should work great, but I haven't heard of any real person's experience.
The screen doesn't need to be 8", it can be 10" or bigger too. if I find a good one. What size would you suggest?

I have never used stylus myself, and don't know much about it either, but it sounds like a good option for a student.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Tablet Keyboard for Android Tablets & Windows 8 Tablets - Logitech This is the Bluetooth Keyboard I ordered to use for my Thinkpad 8 when it gets here. The case for the keyboard doubles as a stand. Keep in mind the keyboard just slides in the case. I've been using it and it is a great keyboard and it works well with windows 8. It's also fairly portable too. Not sure if you are willing to spend $60-$70 on a Bluetooth keyboard though you might be able to get it cheaper if you shop around online. Just thought I would pass the info along if you do consider a tablet without an attachable keyboard.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Reinforcing what Slater said. It's not so much until someone "gets used to the touch screen". I have a Venue 8 Pro and I'm glad I ordered the keyboard. Sure you can type a little blurb in forums or in search bars, but if you're writing an entire article, essay, etc. the touch screen keyboard gets real cumbersome real fast. I just wanted to comment on that since it seems the keyboard is more of an afterthought here.

I see.It wouldn't hurt to have a keyboard anyways. But when I listen to you guys, I think we need a keyboard. Either an integrated, or a generic Bluetooth Keyboard.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Tablet Keyboard for Android Tablets & Windows 8 Tablets - Logitech This is the Bluetooth Keyboard I ordered to use for my Thinkpad 8 when it gets here. The case for the keyboard doubles as a stand. Keep in mind the keyboard just slides in the case. I've been using it and it is a great keyboard and it works well with windows 8. It's also fairly portable too. Not sure if you are willing to spend $60-$70 on a Bluetooth keyboard though you might be able to get it cheaper if you shop around online. Just thought I would pass the info along if you do consider a tablet without an attachable keyboard.

Thx :) I have bookmarked it, in case the concluded Tablet doesn't come with an integrated Keyboard.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let me just put in another plug for the surface pro 2. I am an engineering grad student. I take all my notes in OneNote with the stylus and it makes life so easy. All the notes are searchable and it is very organized compared to traditional note taking. My surface pro is literally all I take to school. I do all my handwritten homework on it as well. I wouldn't be surprised if I have saved over 400 pieces of paper by turning to digital everything. I would suggest any device with a stylus if she is majoring in something science or math related.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro