Any rumors for Surface 3 yet?

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if there are any rumors circulating yet for the next generation of Surface tablets (Surface 3 or whatever it will be called). Is it likely that a Surface 3 will be released this Fall? I'm debating whether to get a Surface 2 or wait. I have a Surface RT. I had actually bought the Surface 2 when it was released, but after going through 3 of them, all with screen crashing and audio issues and shoddy workmanship, I gave up on Surface 2 and returned it. I figured I'd try one again after a few months, hoping Microsoft would resolve the issues by then. Now it's been several months and I'm not sure if I should try the Surface 2 again or wait for the Surface 3. If a Surface 3 is expected later this year, then I'll probably wait; but if not, then I guess I'll give the Surface 2 another try. Any thoughts?

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is adding to their line of tablets with the soon-to-be Surface Pro 3 running on the new operating system, Windows 8.1, according to InternationalBusinessTimes.com.
Though they have not specified a release date, Microsoft has released some of the improvements the Pro 3 will have which the Surface Pro 2 lacks, IBT.com reported.
The Pro 3 will likely replace the Intel I5 with a Intel I7 unit which is great news for people that needed more processing power in such a small package, especially for those that are travelling all the time and actually do their work on these tablet devices, according to IBT.com.
The Surface Pro 3 will also feature a 10.6 inch screen that will be as crisp as it can be thanks to the 4K resolution, but most of the specs of this tablet are pretty similar to the Pro 2 with a few key differences, IBT.com reported. The battery life will also be given a bump.
With the Pro 3 all the models are equipped with the 4K display and the Intel I7 CPU, but either 4GB, 8GB or 16GB of RAM will be different pricing options with the last amount being a great addition because there were some people that edited their videos on the go, and 8GB was insufficient, according to IBT.com.
The storage options are pretty similar, so you'll still be able to get 64GB, 128GB or 256GB of lighting fast storage and there is also a possibility of 512GB of storage plus as much as a Terabyte in Microsoft's OneDrive cloud storage system, IBT.com reported.
Apple's iPad may still be the most popular tablet on the market, its uses are mainly for the entertainment and does not offer much in terms of productivity, and thats where the Surface Pro comes in, according to IBT.com. Microsoft's Pro 3 might become the most wanted productive tablet on the market.
The target audience could very well be the professional users who are looking for regular tablets that can double as a substitute for laptops, IBT.com reported.

from here Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 Rumors : News : Headlines & Global News HOWEVER - the link seems to have something dodgy on it, so click it at your own risk!

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Ive got an RT as well and am in the same situation, but now its probably worth waiting for. Not sure if I would go for the RT or Pro version though. If the Pro has good battery life, webcams, 4k and 7-8 hours of battery I might go for that. I'm not convinced it will be 4k yet though.

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually waiting for the Surface Pro 3 to come out so that the Surface Pro 2 will come down in price. So I hope the rumours are true.

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually waiting for the Surface Pro 3 to come out so that the Surface Pro 2 will come down in price. So I hope the rumours are true.

Me too. In the UK we can get a 1st gen 128gb Surface Pro for ?500 or a 128gb Surface Pro 2 for ?800. This is a big difference and the 1st gen would be very tempting (its a bargain even), but that extra battery life and two stage kickstand of the 2nd gen makes it the "perfect device", just not for ?300 extra. I'm hoping we get a Surface 3 this year which will bring the Surface 2 down to a personally more affordable price.

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Me too. In the UK we can get a 1st gen 128gb Surface Pro for ?500 or a 128gb Surface Pro 2 for ?800. This is a big difference and the 1st gen would be very tempting (its a bargain even), but that extra battery life and two stage kickstand of the 2nd gen makes it the "perfect device", just not for ?300 extra. I'm hoping we get a Surface 3 this year which will bring the Surface 2 down to a personally more affordable price.

Tempted by that Surface Pro price too. But the 3-4 hours battery life is definitely a downer. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the cuts will be as severe as the first gen model. I remember reading that they overestimated the sales numbers and made too many of them? Or is that just the first RT?

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I remember reading that they overestimated the sales numbers and made too many of them? Or is that just the first RT?

That was for the RT IIRC, the Pro sold well / as expected.
Realistically I'm not so sure we would get a Surface 3 this year. I mean, the Pro 2 is already pretty awesome, and I would hope Microsoft don't make a 3rd gen just for the sake of it.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just my speculations and 2 cents, but here it goes:

1) Announce the Mini and maybe the Watch at May 20th event along with showing off the 8.1 phones and universal apps to the general public (with the really nice syncing between them) with at least the Surface Mini in time for Father's Day
2) Surface 3/Pro 3 will be announced in September or October and will coincide release with the 8.2 update for Windows
3) Surface 3 will not use the NVIDIA chipsets, but probably Qualcomm, because of the less than stellar support from NVIDIA (see comments below)

As far as whether or not to get a Surface 2 now or wait for the Surface 3, it really depends on how much you need/want it now (though I would at least wait until May 20th announcement). I really do love my Surface 2 and strongly missed it when the hard drive failed, however, with the Surface 2, it seems almost all the problems are driver related and not hardware related. Some months, the driver pack will be updated and things will be fixed, then the next month's driver pack will break it again. In December I was continually rolling back my sound driver to the August sound driver because it didn't have the problems later versions had. Also, my Surface didn't have problems with the video card crashing until after a different driver update. So far my replacement Surface 2 isn't having any of the problems of the one that had the hard drive failure.

If the support forums are to be believed, part of the problem is that Microsoft is supporting the drivers for the NVIDIA chipset and not NVIDIA.

With there being such little difference in price between a Surface 2 and an original Pro, I would recommend a Pro if you need it now, otherwise wait for the version 3 stuff...

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I went to the shop today and saw an original Surface Pro and a Pro 2. The two stage kick stand of the Pro 2 is almost mandatory for me, I couldn't use the 1st gen all day with that one viewing angle :(

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is adding to their line of tablets with the soon-to-be Surface Pro 3 running on the new operating system, Windows 8.1, according to InternationalBusinessTimes.com.
Though they have not specified a release date, Microsoft has released some of the improvements the Pro 3 will have which the Surface Pro 2 lacks, IBT.com reported.
The Pro 3 will likely replace the Intel I5 with a Intel I7 unit which is great news for people that needed more processing power in such a small package, especially for those that are travelling all the time and actually do their work on these tablet devices, according to IBT.com.
The Surface Pro 3 will also feature a 10.6 inch screen that will be as crisp as it can be thanks to the 4K resolution, but most of the specs of this tablet are pretty similar to the Pro 2 with a few key differences, IBT.com reported. The battery life will also be given a bump.
With the Pro 3 all the models are equipped with the 4K display and the Intel I7 CPU, but either 4GB, 8GB or 16GB of RAM will be different pricing options with the last amount being a great addition because there were some people that edited their videos on the go, and 8GB was insufficient, according to IBT.com.
The storage options are pretty similar, so you'll still be able to get 64GB, 128GB or 256GB of lighting fast storage and there is also a possibility of 512GB of storage plus as much as a Terabyte in Microsoft's OneDrive cloud storage system, IBT.com reported.
Apple's iPad may still be the most popular tablet on the market, its uses are mainly for the entertainment and does not offer much in terms of productivity, and thats where the Surface Pro comes in, according to IBT.com. Microsoft's Pro 3 might become the most wanted productive tablet on the market.
The target audience could very well be the professional users who are looking for regular tablets that can double as a substitute for laptops, IBT.com reported.

from here Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 Rumors : News : Headlines & Global News HOWEVER - the link seems to have something dodgy on it, so click it at your own risk!

I would take that rumour with a grain of salt. of salt - they'll have to make the screen bigger if they want to even consider raising the resolution - as a Pro 2 user 1080p on a 10.6" screen is already quite dense - my thoughts are that they might release a 12/13" model with a higher resolution display. Also stuffing an i7 into a body that thin is a bad idea waiting to happen - sure it'll be more powerful, but the amount of heat it'll put out will just shorten the lifetime of that machine by a longshot; when I rendered some video at 720p on maximum render quality in Premiere Pro (SP2) I could hear the fans spinning like crazy and the back was super hot - didn't sound good at all.

As a Surface owner, I would love to see the Surface 3 turn into a desirable machine (I.e. Thinner, lighter and perhaps a lower price point), and have more variants of the Surface Pro line (sometimes it's hard to use applications like Adobe Premiere Pro on such a small screen with such a high DPI, and also larger screens are more useful for productivity).

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I just read this piece today about Nvidia shifting Tegra's focus from mobile devices to in-car systems:

Nvidia’s Tegra Pivot is Working, But Why Wasn’t This Tried Earlier? | Bright Side of News*

It makes quite a lot of sense as Nvidia's problem with Tegra is indeed size, heat and lack of on-chip cellular connectivity. This however also has me thinking, if they're deciding to deemphasize phones/tablets, what will happen with Surface 3? Might Nadella do another clear strategy change and actually focus all Surfaces, pro and non-pro, on productivity? That means Surface 3 would be released with an Atom CPU, getting similar battery life as ARM CPUs while giving us backwards compatibility with x86 apps. When there's 2 in 1s like the T100 that sell for $300 with baytrail, it's hard to justify paying $150 more to get an ARM cpu yet no keyboard included in the Surface line.

Nadella's productivity focus + Nvidias shift towards the auto industry may pave the way for an Atom Surface! Interesting days ahead...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234