What features/specs on the Surface Mini do you want to see next week?

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The Surface Mini is probably going to be announced in a week on May 20th.

We don't know too much about the device, which I think is a good thing. I like to be surprised. That said, there are very credible rumors out there. Here's what we're expecting so far:

• Pen support - most likely Wacom digitizer
  • ARM processor
  • 7-8 inch range
  • No built in kickstand
  • Will include covers as an accessory
  • June availability
  • It'll be positioned as a note-taking device

And that's really all we know about the Surface Mini. No word on USB support, display resolution, battery life, etc. Which is where I wanted to see what you guys want to get out of the Surface Mini.

I'd like to eek about 10 hours of battery life out of the Surface Mini, which is comparable to devices like the Apple iPad Mini or Nexus 7. Though the super high res display of the iPad Mini would be welcomed, I'd be happy with at least 1080p. Full USB support? I'd be ok without and don't think it's appropriate for a device like the Surface Mini. Though I'm curious what ports you guys want on the device.

Basically just list what you want to see next week! Be realistic though ;)

Additional reading:

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
$200 or less *
Release before Father's Day *
Same display port as Surface/Surface 2
8" screen at 1080p
ARM processor (hopefully Snapdragon)
Pen would be nice
Mini-USB to connect to computer if needed and charge (though not sure how that would work out for restoring)

* are the key features I think it needs to have...

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
I like for it to support a 128 gb sd card. Also LTE support for Verizon and AT&T.

Edit: At least 2gb of ram and 64gb and 128gb storage options

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
$200 or less *

Seriously?
The iPad mini costs ~$300 for the non Retina version and ~$400 for the retina version and to point out one major difference, neither of those come with pen support. If you'd like to compare it to the $200 N7, then again no pen support and my personal opinion, but this will trump that in every way except apps. But for my purposes a full fledged browser, office, and pen support are way more important.

Personally I'd like it to be free, but more realistically $300-$350 is where it will be.

If Microsoft made a product that undercut all of their OEMs and the price they could produce at, that wouldn't be very good for relations. They want to make a compelling product, but still leave it open for OEM involvement imo.

Oh yea, features I'd like:
  • Kickstand - I know this has been leaked that it won't have one, but that is ridiculous :eck:. That is what sets the Surface line apart and no matter how small the thing is, the kickstand is invaluable. Even people with phones buy cases that have kickstands in them. Not a deal breaker for me, but a big letdown.
  • Full USB - No micro USB please. Those are too flimsy and I do not want to carry around adapters for when I want to plug in a USB drive or card reader. I highly doubt the Surface mini will be thinner than a Full USB port. It will fit.
  • 10 hours of battery would be nice.
  • High res display is nice, but prefer longer battery life. My MBA screen kind of sucks in comparison to my other monitors, but the battery is amazing. Wouldn't trade it.
  • 16x10 ratio would be nice. Would prefer not to have 4:3, but not a deal breaker either way.
  • ARM - Windows RT has been fantastic for my MOBILE needs and this will be even better. I've got my desktop machines to do everything else I want, but for travel, RT has been perfect.
  • Cover accessory that includes a battery and another full USB port - wishful thinking :angel:
  • Photoshop for RT so we can use the pen for even more! - I can dream right? :grincry:
  • Office Metro - get rid of the need for Desktop for the most part.

Overall I feel like these are realistic expectations besides the Photoshop and doubtful on the cover. Originally I would have said there is no way they'd take the kickstand out so now I don't even know. I probably won't get any of the above except ARM, either 10 hours or high res display (probably not both), and maybe Office Metro for launch. No full USB and kickstand may be deal breakers for me if there isn't enough other that is compelling.

quadtronix

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
A short while back there where rumors going around that the Mini would incorporate Kinect-Style features... I know, it's probably not going to happen, but IMO that would be the best feature by far and make me want to buy it. Also, if they throw Cortana in there that would be sweet!! I don't want to get my hopes up too high, and I'll probably be buying one if the price is right, regardless of what features it does or doesn't have. That's because I used to love my RT; it was just a little too big and heavy. But on a more realistic level here is what I expect/hope for:

Nvidia Tegra 4 or K1, or Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 or 801 SOC
1080p or greater (Maybe 1920 by 1200)
probably wont have kickstand
Micro SD
Pen Support
etc...

But wouldn't Kinect and Cortana be sweet?? :evil:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member