Why the f is India getting all the new WP7 phones?

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Prob because Microsoft realizes that all the carriers care about is iphone and android so they are changing there stretegy and targeting other countries...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would think that the major carriers would be looking for something to go along with the iPhone that would give them a boost/advantage over the other carriers. Since all major carriers now have the iPhone. - TMO.
Prob because Microsoft realizes that all the carriers care about is iphone and android so they are changing there stretegy and targeting other countries...

squadbumrush

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
News flash: there are a billion people in India. Even if half of them can't afford a cell phone, that's still a much larger number of potential customers than USA has to offer.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I would think that the major carriers would be looking for something to go along with the iPhone that would give them a boost/advantage over the other carriers. Since all major carriers now have the iPhone. - TMO.

Well most carriers seem to be ignoring WP7 and jumping on the android bandwagon. Places like India are probably more open to other platforms and are Nokia friendly so makes a lot of sense to focus some attention there.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
because India was left out au launch last year and now they are FINALLY giving them phones??

Its never fair when its fair , is it? lol

and BTW , MS doesn’t have much say if a carrier refuses to sell wp7. MS offers the phone to ALL carriers, and it’s up to the carriers to decide if they wana BID on the phone for exclusive use or general sells with other carriers.

still no new WP for BELL here in canada :( ( the 2 they had are now EOL) :(

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Reasons:

1) Smartphone market is still nascent in India. Better to enter sooner rather than late like in other western countries.
2) Realistically, you have a bigger market to sell to.
3) Nokia is very popular in India. So much that, it had been consistently rated by people as the top and most trusted brand amongst all products in India. For 10 years now.
4) India didn't get all the first generation WP7 devices.
5) iPhone is not affordable for many. It's way way priced higher. iPhones are launched in India 10 months after US launch and sold twice the price (unlocked).
6) Careers decide nothing. It's a direct market where phones are NOT sold through careers. Most careers don't even sell a single phone. Not even one. They are mobile service providers and not mobile phone providers. So WP7 has a fighting chance to appeal to people directly.
7) Mobile service contracts are unheard of. If I decide and can afford to buy a new phone today, I buy today not till a stupid contract is over like here in US. (Edit: I personally treat mobile contracts and exclusivity as stupid, but your opinion may differ. I'm aware that contracts discounts the phone and I use a ATT Focus.)

Still almost all smartphones including Android, WP7 etc. except for few are launched late in India. It's mostly with the price point. After 4-6 months of selling in western countries, you have a margin to price it less in Asian countries like India.

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You do not need a contract in the US. Where did you get that idea? If you sign a contract the carrier will give you a huge discount on the phone. Then you are locked into that contract. That's how contracts work.

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You do not need a contract in the US. Where did you get that idea? If you sign a contract the carrier will give you a huge discount on the phone. Then you are locked into that contract. That's how contracts work.

Yeah, sorry, I meant that but reading it again i agree it conveys a different meaning.

But still I assume that approx 90% of the phones are sold on contract and discount and so Career has a significant power. The main point I meant is about Career's power to make or break a phone here in US.

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
MS are doing the smart thing, apple and android have already saturated the market in developed nations, but there is loads of opportunity in the upcoming economies of Asia and south America

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express

failmatic

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
@blaksnar mostly logical. except for the contract thing. you can still get new phones while on a contract. you just have to buy it at full price or ebay or craigslist.

Exclusivity is stupid for the mobile phone maker. Why would a maker want to limit their market. Carriers in US has too much power.

Contracts suck. You end up paying for the "discount" over the 2 years anyway. I rather have a lower cost mobile plan and pay for the phone up front. TMO does that with their "value" plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky