The Lumia or Wait Debate

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting either, I've got an excellent quality HTC TITAN 1 that will be lasting me another 22-23 months yet (even though bought off contract, this is the first phone that I believe will TRULY last me 24-month)
It probably will, I really enjoy the build quality of the titan. I can't speak for the other software and call based issues as I've only held the device at a windows event.

L

lumic

Unless you're in desperate need of a replacement, save yourself some heartache and wait until MWC before you make any decisions. You don't want to preorder a Lumia for March, then find out that there will be a dual-core + 720p line-up dropping in November.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I almost feel like I want Titan 2 more now since everyone seems to be getting the lumia, then again, I never see anyone with windows phone so chances are I'll still be unique ha.

I feel bad making a joke at WP's expense, but it's the truth, sadly. I feel bad for android and iOS robots who can't make a decision for themselves.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm still running a WM6.5. I think I'm going to get a 710, if they put Internet Sharing on it, (thats a deal breaker for me) use it for this year, and then grab the 1st Nokia WP8 when it comes out, and the wife gets the 710.

L

lumic

I feel bad making a joke at WP's expense, but it's the truth, sadly. I feel bad for android and iOS robots who can't make a decision for themselves.
It's how the world works - from fashion to electronics. Vizio isn't a terrible brand but most of us would pay extra for a Sony. To some extent, even iOS is starting to lose out with the younger generations, partly due to their oversimplified paradigms.

I overheard some girls with Android devices claiming that the iPhone was for "dumb people". I almost felt like telling them that choosing a product that will simply work out of the box and then using your time on more important things in life doesn't make you dumb, just as adjusting the widgets on your home screen doesn't make you smart.

Yet, there's nothing you can really do but defend your decisions when you go against the status-quo.

LexusFman

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
It's how the world works - from fashion to electronics. Vizio isn't a terrible brand but most of us would pay extra for a Sony. To some extent, even iOS is starting to lose out with the younger generations, partly due to their oversimplified paradigms.

I overheard some girls with Android devices claiming that the iPhone was for "dumb people". I almost felt like telling them that choosing a product that will simply work out of the box and then using your time on more important things in life doesn't make you dumb, just as adjusting the widgets on your home screen doesn't make you smart.

Yet, there's nothing you can really do but defend your decisions when you go against the status-quo.

I guess the number of people who prefer android to iOS is growing. Who woulda thought iPhone's market would reduce because of android?

I'm kind of in a jam. I'm on Verizon, and you all know what that means. I'm stuck on an OG Droid right now and I hate this POS. I found out the Trophy is on amazon for 1 cent, and my mom has an upgrade she dosent plan on using. Should I get it now (bad verizon pun not intended) or wait to see what the big red has to offer?

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess the number of people who prefer android to iOS is growing. Who woulda thought iPhone's market would reduce because of android?

I'm kind of in a jam. I'm on Verizon, and you all know what that means. I'm stuck on an OG Droid right now and I hate this POS. I found out the Trophy is on amazon for 1 cent, and my mom has an upgrade she dosent plan on using. Should I get it now (bad verizon pun not intended) or wait to see what the big red has to offer?
It is almost certain that verizon and sprint will not release any new windows phones until Apollo update. They are claiming poor sales and are unconvinced the investment is worth it yet.

Saw article today suggesting the lumia 900 will be on other carriers in Q4 with improved 12MP camera, but that is a rumor as of now.

Fallen Cpt Jack

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have been on Sprint for over 10 years, and so have the Arrive. With the recent disparaging remarks by Sprint, I think the 900 will be my cue to switch to AT&T, at least for a while. I'm a bit of a phone whore (I've had the Arrive a year now - a new record for me), so I don't mind buying a new phone on eBay or CL at the 1-year point and selling the 900 if there's something much better available. I need to see the Titan II in person to feel the 4.7/4.3 difference and she wants to look in the ATT store and see what looks and feels best for carrying in her purse/pocket.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a Titan 1 off contract, so will wait about another year before looking to upgrade again. If I hadn't bought the Titan, would probably prefer the Lumia 900 at the moment, since it fixes what I thought were the shortcomings of the Lumia 800 (no ffc, etc) The bluetooth on my Titan seems flaky compared to the one on my Quantum, so I'm a bit leery of HTC right now. Hopefully a firmware update will make it as reliable as my 1st gen phone.

leoment

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Definitely coughing up the money for the Lumia 900 - like someone else mentioned, my only debate is whether I want to stick with cyan the whole time, or go with the tried and true black (decisions, decisions)..

I've definitely been a Nokia fan - my last phone before my current WP7 was an E71x, and my first cell phone period! was a Nokia 1260 iirc. The build quality/battery life is unparalleled - and I've had MANY phones between then and now (I will say, my Quantum has handled many a fall quite well though).

If they (Nokia) release another phone after 6 months/ a year with WP8 that I want, I guess I'll buy it off contract - I'll wait and see though :D

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am leaning strongly toward the 900 but I am hopiong that the Titan II and the Mendel are comiong out at prettyt much at the same time so that I can try them out. I love my focus so I hope the Mendel is competitive but Nokia n900 is in the lead right now.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Very surprised by the lack of Titan II support on the forums here, Nokia build quality is supreme, but HTC must be a close second. The first titan looks great and the second only looks better with the curved glass at the bottom. I am assuming it comes down to screen size more than anything. If you haven't held a titan yet, I highly recommend doing so, it feels fantastic in the hand, but probably less so than the Lumia chasis. Also I keep hearing pretty amazing things about the 16 MP camera with a dedicated processor, which I did not expect.

Anyone else suprised by lack of Titan II hype? Nokia has a great reputation, it's exciting to see them follow through (my first phone ever was a nokia, fun fact).

My first phone was also a Nokia! I'm sitting up in Canada coveting the 900 something fierce... Tbh I would probably be willing to try the 800. The design is sexy as ****, and even with my larger hands the superior accuracy of WP7s soft keyboard might make it useable for me. (I wanted an iPhone until I tried typing on one) Although, realistically, since I got my HD7 on a 3 year term and Bell doesn't do early upgrades, and I have 3 kids to feed on one income-albeit a welder's income-my next smartphone will likely have WP10 with 16-core processor! :p

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Very tempted by the Lumia 900, but by the time it's released in the UK, we'll know 'something' concrete about Apollo and how that will bode on the hardware.

At the moment, I think I'm going to hold on to my HD7. Don't get me wrong, if my cash flow was a little higher, I'd ebay it and buy a off contract Titan I. A close friend (iPhone user) was saying the same thing. He's going to wait it out and see what the newer devices are and more than likely jump ship to WP when Apollo launches.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia phones look nice but aren't dual core Windows phones supposed to come out?

Single core phones are sufficient enough but I would take better hardware any day.

danygandhi

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
None of the current hardware is worth a 2 year contract

None of the current hardware is worth a 2 year contract. Even the Lumia 900,it is gorgeous,but not 2 year contract worthy. I will wait it out until Apollo comes out. My plan is buy a iPhone 5 on a no commitment fee and then buy a Apollo Device by signing a 2 year contract with 0$ price on Amazon or thru AT&T.

iphone 5 - ATT no commitment fee - 650$ (based on iphone 4S price)
Nokia Apollo - 0$ on contract (thru Amazon)
Total - 650$

iphone 5 - 200$ on contract
Nokia Apollo - ATT no commitment fee - 584$ - (based on current trend on all 2nd Gen devices)
total - 784$

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to jump to the 900 or Titan 2 from my Titan the moment they release. A couple of things I want to see from reviewers before making this decision compared to the Titan 1

Battery life
Camera Quality
Network Speed Test LTE and HSPA+

Also the dark horse that no one's considering is what is Samsung going to drop on us?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb