Nokia Lumia 610?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually really like the look of this. Whilst, I'll be launching with Apollo or the Lumia 910, this is something I'll be recommending for Mama and Papa Big. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Nokia-Lumia-610_thumb.png

It seems the Nokia 610's existence has now been confirmed.

look.gif

Nokia Lumia 610 confirmed.

Just Sharing. :)

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just read that on WMPoweruser. I'm really starting to wonder where this 610 and Tango in generally fits into the whole Windows Phone ecosystem. As many others have stated, the specs for 1st gen devices were low end when they were released (and they worked beautifully!). If Nokia wants to attack emerging markets I don't see any reason why they couldn't just keep releasing 1st gen level hardware.

Now I'm starting to wonder if Tango is really meant for feature phones. That has always been Nokia's bread and butter, their "Windows" if you will. Furthermore, many of these so-called emerging markets still rely heavily on feature phones. Both because the phone is cheaper and so is the monthly rate.

IMO, up until the release of Windows Phone, I don't think there's been a good phone-based OS that works good with low specs. iOS maybe, but you can't get an Android feature phone to run smoothly on the same specs that WP7 runs on. Not only that, but feature phones have taken a massive dive due to the rise of the smartphone. Companies are not investing the money to make better feature phones.

I think this is where Nokia and Tango comes in. Tango can be designed to run on feature phones while retaining the silky smoothness associated with Windows Phone. That would allow Nokia to attack emerging markets with a low-priced feature phone that has all the goodies of a smartphone only without the hefty monthly fee.

And while I hate to bring up the ill-fated KIN (I actually have the redesigned version called the KIN TWOm)... That was Microsoft's attempt to attack the feature phone market with a smartphone like OS. Only this time they have a much better OS and a much better partner in Nokia.

In fact, all it would take is a toggle to turn off data but leave the option there just in case anyone actually wanted/needed a data plan. Oh wait, that toggle already exists! It's like they're halfway there.

If that is Nokia's/Microsoft's strategy, they could really be on to something. The goodies of a smartphone with the price advantage of a feature phone could be a game changer for many emerging markets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss