Rumor: Sony to make Windows Phone 8 devices later this year

anonymous3498571

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I could see this happening.

Each OEM will want to do something to differentiate themselves. If Sony makes a WP handset, I could see their selling point being that it would include a SEN hub app.

Gamers that own both the XBOX and PS may see it as a true gamer phone.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't it somehow make sense if they launched WP on a Vaio line of phones rather than as Xperia? Metro will be all over their laptops and most likely on tablets as well, and will probably look like it was designed with the Vaio aesthetics in mind when they are put together.

It feels like it would be a good way to tap into the benefits of the new Windows ecosystem, as well as allow Sony to not have to put PS next to XBL since they can say that Playstation on phones is an Xperia thing.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The decision makes a lot of sense for Sony since it's rather obvious they can't play the specs game. At least they make nice looking phones.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I would totally, totally, totally dig the idea of a great Windows Phone with *both* an Xbox hub and a PSN hub on it. I am not sure I see it happening though, they are really trying hard to push the PS3 as a "living room device", with Music Unlimited, Vudu movie rentals, the Sony Store, etc. I mean basically they are doing the same things that Microsoft is doing.

toasterthegamer

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
The reason this rumor is completely false is that sony and microsoft are in DIRECT competition with the PS3 and xbox360. A good windows phone that ties into xbox live is not something sony want's to see. Not to mention sony already is making phones for android..

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
But they do make computers that will have Windows8. I wouldn't rule them out just yet. If they had half a brain they'd do a kick *** app that tied into their PS on both Win8 and WP8. But, Sony being Sony, they're awfully thick headed about sticking with proprietary stuff, so I doubt it.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else notice only 3 buttons on the front of the leaked Pepper? And specs more inline with a WP than a power hungry Android?

pepper.png

Probaholic1

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
That's actually only because, the new gen of android phones are doing away with one of the buttons, either the search function or home or menu. Which I am so glad I didn't like the 4 buttons.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If they plan on making a Win8 tablet/laptop, and I can't see how Sony wouldn't continue their VIAO series of products, you'd think doing a WP8 device would be a complimentary no brainer...

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
To be honest...I don't see why MS would have an issue with allowing Sony to push its WP handsets with PSN instead of XBL. First they let it happen with China-bound handsets (replacing XBL with some local network). Also, it doesn't seem as if the XBOX department is obliged to worry about the Windows Phone division. There are XBL titles on iOS, including the companion app no less. Why should the WP division even care about these other divisions when they don't fully care about WP?

If Sony wants to push a Windows Phone geared towards strengthening PlayStation in the living room, then go right ahead. Based on the number of friends I have with XBOX, I don't see the XBL crowd shrinking in the future anyways, and I doubt they'll buy a Sony WP if they wanted an XBOX WP device. If you want the XBOX crowd, then you need to make a direct XBOX branded phone - and above all, you need games on par/superior to Infinity Blade available on such devices.

Let Sony integrate its services deep into the WP system, e.g. a Sony Store section in the Marketplace, Qriocity app, PSN integration, etc. If they want to equip Windows 8 tablets with such features as well, then let them do it. At least you can entice the PlayStation crowd into Windows Phone/tablet family, that might help strengthen the front against Apple when they invade the Living Room. But as a matter of principle, do what you need to do to make Windows Phone succeed, it is NOT stopping XBL from doing the same with iOS, Lync on iOS, Photosynth and SkyDrive, etc.

Last edited:

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
To be honest...I don't see why MS would have an issue with allowing Sony to push its WP handsets with PSN instead of XBL. First they let it happen with China-bound handsets (replacing XBL with some local network). Also, it doesn't seem as if the XBOX department is obliged to worry about the Windows Phone division. There are XBL titles on iOS, including the companion app no less. Why should the WP division even care about these other divisions when they don't fully care about WP?

Nintendo has portable gaming on the 3DS. Sony has portable gaming on the Playstation Vita. The Windows Phone is all XBox has in terms of portable gaming. I don't see them giving that up. I can see Sony offering PSN in addition to XBL on the phone, but I can't see Microsoft ever agreeing to a Windows Phone without XBL. To the contrary, I expect XBL to get more serious and focused when Apollo lands.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Nintendo has portable gaming on the 3DS. Sony has portable gaming on the Playstation Vita. The Windows Phone is all XBox has in terms of portable gaming. I don't see them giving that up. I can see Sony offering PSN in addition to XBL on the phone, but I can't see Microsoft ever agreeing to a Windows Phone without XBL. To the contrary, I expect XBL to get more serious and focused when Apollo lands.
On second thought, if Sony did come on board, I suppose their minimum condition would be that PSN/other Sony apps be made offerable to all WP (and Win8 tab) users.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
On second thought, if Sony did come on board, I suppose their minimum condition would be that PSN/other Sony apps be made offerable to all WP (and Win8 tab) users.

Sony needs Microsoft a lot more than Microsoft needs Sony in terms of smartphones. I don't see Sony being in a position to make demands in this relationship.

Mon-El

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
This might happen. Sony is getting its a*se handed to it by HTC and Samsung in the phone market. They simply can't compete as well as they used to with feature phones where cybershot and walkman brands were used to excellent effect.

Windows Phone, in particular Windows Phone 8, will be a very inticing option for them to once again stand out from the other handsets. Sony, as a brand, still hold some weight and they need to do something different quickly or risk being an also-ran in the droid market.

As for PSN on WP. Generally I hold the assumption that any software that Sony puts out is rubbish. This goes back to the early days of Vaio, their Connect software for walkmans and how they somehow made Android even worse.

I remember holding out hope of a Sony handset (SE at the time) when WP launched. It never happened. Shame.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a Sony even if it was the only WP8 on Verizon. I've hated them ever since the rootkit scandal and they keep going more and more towards their own proprietary garbage. I'll never buy anything from them ever again. They used to have some of the best hardware but not anymore. Other electronics makers have caught up but Sony still thinks they can charge premium prices.

There's a reason that they've been absolutely bleeding money. The fact that they're even thinking about making a phone for Microsoft shows that they're desperate.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Why not the Xperia 1 was a Windows Mobile phone.
And a POS at that! Needed a magnifying glass to see text. Marginally better with the Energy ROM. Lasted all of 1 day before going on eBay.

The reason this rumor is completely false is that sony and microsoft are in DIRECT competition with the PS3 and xbox360. A good windows phone that ties into xbox live is not something sony want's to see. Not to mention sony already is making phones for android..
So why does MS make Office for Mac? Why does Apple have iTunes and Safari for Windows? Hint: it has pictures of dead presidents on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss