WP Pureview Phone in "Not Very Long" Time

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Apollo flagship device? That would be sweet!

Incidentally, I don't understand the analysts. . . a company wows and industry with new technology and you devalue their share price? WFT?!

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
While "the best camera is the one you have with you," this is just too bulbous to carry around in your pocket :straight:

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
this is just too bulbous to carry around in your pocket

Don't sweat it, I'm sure Nokia will iterate the heck out of this, with many variations (sizes and price points) coming to a whole range of phones, they'd be crazy not to.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The article I saw said that it only takes 5 and 8 MP pictures. The 41 is only for zoom. It doesn't look like the wonderful sensor can get much smaller, so any pureview phone is going to be on the chubby side.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
If it fits in my pocket fine I'm very interested. A good camera is tops on my list for my next phone.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

ALborntoride

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Aww man, I guess I'll wait some more lol.

same here Winterfang. I wanted the 900 but would have had to pay $250 to early upgrade. I'm eligible to upgrade in October so i'll just wait till then. Apollo should be out or at least we will know more about it and the next generation of phones.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The article I saw said that it only takes 5 and 8 MP pictures. The 41 is only for zoom. It doesn't look like the wonderful sensor can get much smaller, so any pureview phone is going to be on the chubby side.
The article I saw said that it only takes 5 and 8 MP pictures. The 41 is only for zoom.

The best explination of the 808 I've come across is the Engadget Mobile Podcast (and I've listened to them all this week). Give it a listen starting at the 20min mark, and when you're done, you'll better apprecaite just how ground breaking this technology is. It's going to have pretty major implication for WP going forward.

Engadget Mobile Podcast 128: MWC 2012 - 03.03.2012 - Engadget

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
What is the advantage of having more than, say, 5 MP on a phome camera?

More megapixels than that are only useful for making large prints. How many of us are doing that with phone pics?

Most photos are viewed on computer screens these days. Even a 1280 x 1024 res screen uses fewer than 5 MP, so to fit on that screen, pixels must be thrown overboard.

What's the point?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

More megapixels than that are only useful for making large prints. How many of us are doing that with phone pics?

Most photos are viewed on computer screens these days. Even a 1280 x 1024 res screen uses fewer than 5 MP, so to fit on that screen, pixels must be thrown overboard.

What's the point?

I recommend watching this video for starters. You can also see the size of the sensor and Zeiss optics on the video.
Damian Dinning explains Nokia PureView technology - YouTube

There's also plenty of camera blogs and such analyzing the camera in detail. It really is in it's way set to revolutionalize below 600 euros cameras.
http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/m...aign=Feed:+PhoneLife_Blogs+(iPhone+Life+Blogs

In short, yes, you can take 38MP pictures on the 41MP sensor. We have seen those pics and they do look amazing, BUT the innovation here lies on the oversampling, megapixels on the sensor and how those megapixels are used.

On 5MP oversampling mode (this mode is in default when you open the camera) you are taking 7 pixels on the sensor and uniting them as one with you having one huge pixel that naturally takes much more light in it. Binning is something similar to this, usually found on the plus 1000 euros DSLR's. Nokia says that because of the much higher calculating power and Nokia's algorithms on 808 it can take it to another level on PureView with the oversampling.
Another point that this megapixels bring to the table is lossless zooming live when you are video recording or taking a picture, the point not really being that you crop the picture after taking it, while you can do that as well if you are taking those 38MP shots.

808 of course has it's own GPU on the SoC, but the camera module itself actually has another GPU inside. Screens are always the most expensive part of the phone... i wonder if that's the case with 808 PureView.

Last edited:

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

What's the point?

If you want that much detail it's good. It makes digital zoom more effective without so much quality degradation.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I watched some videos on the purview and it is definitely impressive! A windows 8 Nokia with that camera will be awesome!

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

What's the point?
What's the point?

Perhaps if you'd read all the previous posts pointing to various places that offered a comprehensive explination, you'd understand what the point it.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps if you'd read all the previous posts pointing to various places that offered a comprehensive explination, you'd understand what the point it.

Yes, the video interview does a good job of it. What I understand now is that this technology isn't just a lurch forward in the "pixel race"; it's a breakthrough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99