Windows Phone - is there a future?

engellion

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
After reading this article from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows, I'm depressed.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/networking/time-running-out-windows-phone-143020

Here's a few paragraphs from the article,

"I?m as concerned, in a way, with what is very clearly yet another do-over. Yes, Windows Phone 8 will retain the Windows Phone name, and yes, it will run ?legacy? Windows Phone 7.x apps, those apps that were written in Silverlight or the game-centric XNA APIs. But with Silverlight and XNA both silently cancelled deep within Microsoft?s ever-reimagined corporate hulk, the move to a variation of WinRT means that Windows Phone is starting over again. That mean more work for developers who, let?s face it, haven?t really had much incentive to adopt this platform in the first place.

"It also means that the underlying platform, now a Windows Phone-specific version of WinRT, is less mature. The Windows Phone APIs were certainly lacking when the platform debuted in 2010, but the undermanned and underappreciated team responsible for it has done a wonderful job of updating the platform and the APIs over the past two years, all while providing a steady supply of excellent documentation. Say what you will about Windows Phone, but the developer environment was always first-rate. And now it?s changing...."

"....Of course, the move to yet another platform goes well beyond developers, and there's good and bad news for users and those IT pros who need to support Windows Phone in the real world. For users, it?s bad: I?ve been told that absolutely no current Windows Phone handsets will be upgraded to Windows Phone 8, although some still hold out for a fantasy future in which Microsoft, the hardware makers, and the ever-reluctant wireless carriers miraculously toss logic to the wind and support some tiny number of upgraders with at least a subset of Windows Phone 8 functionality."

He concludes his article with

"Meanwhile, those who've used Windows Phone know that Microsoft created something special here. But with so much uncertainty around the platform, it?s no wonder that even the software giant?s biggest fans are starting to wonder whether Windows Phone has a future. I?d like to see it succeed. Heck, it deserves to succeed. But the question remains.

Is time running out for Windows Phone?"

I really hoped my Lumia 800 would be upgraded to Apollo. Now I'm depressed, not just about no update, but about the future of WP7/WP8 altogether :(

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm of two minds on this:

First---

I'm not sure why you should be depressed. It's best to keep perspective that we're all discussing tech gadgets; these aren't matters of life and death. It definitely falls under hashtag #firstworldproblem.

If something doesn't work for you or others, just switch. It's not really that big a deal.

That's from an average consumer perspective.

On the other hand----

From a business strategy perspective, it's kind of odd on Microsoft's part. It truly is possible that they're hitting the "re-do" button, again, for their mobile platform strategy, but continuing to do that only alienates more and more consumers. At the end, they'll leave behind burnt users who will stay away from your brand, in mobile, with future devices.

Being tops in enterprise is one thing, but retail consumers who feel burnt on a suddenly EOL platform, while Microsoft (and Nokia) are transitioning to yet another top-down revision, have long memories.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I really hoped my Lumia 800 would be upgraded to Apollo. Now I'm depressed, not just about no update, but about the future of WP7/WP8 altogether :(

We just heard this from Nokia USA today, I'm ignoring Thurrott and looking forward to him being proved wrong.

Both Nokia and Microsoft understand the importance for consumers to keep their devices fresh and updated. Without any announcements being made, we're working to make sure people have fresh and updated experiences on any device they may have.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
WE dont know anything for certain except that Paul T doesnt really know anything for certain and he's spreading a wide load of ++++ far and wide! I am sticking with Nokia

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Paul has a habit of getting really pessimistic and negative with the platform when somebody in Microsoft restricts his info or toys

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Evidence please
I got Mango in the first week of October.

Also, what are you still doing here? You obviously don't like Microsoft or Windows Phone (I'm expecting you'll reply with a bogus statement that you do), so what is your purpose?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I got Mango in the first week of October.

Also, what are you still doing here? You obviously don't like Microsoft or Windows Phone (I'm expecting you'll reply with a bogus statement that you do), so what is your purpose?

*insert bogus statement here*

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Depressed? Really?
tumblrm0pjo27euc1ql095c.gif

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it's really too early to tell. But I don't necessarily take much comfort in "fresh and updated experiences." In particular that reads to me like a confirmation that Apollo won't come to the phone, but that some sort of bone will be thrown current users way: a few of the features, just continued support with exclusive apps, who knows?

I do think the situation is becoming a little too reminiscent of the situation with Palm and WebOS. Feels a lot like the same. Always the next update or the next mythical phone that's going to set things right. Why do all the truly great, innovative OSes have to face such hurdles caused by such repeated half-assed execution?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
This is coming from the same guy who also said that mango wouldn't rollout till 2012, how wrong he was, most people had it by mid October 2011. I wouldn't believe a thing he says.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought WP7 was doing pretty good now. They are selling out some models. I think android is scared of them. If you look on AT&T website most of the windows phone have close to 5 stars, thats pretty good. I did think we have to werry about WP failing at all, and I'm sure Apollo will kill all dears of windows phone failing. They better just have a good amout of handsets to choose from. Includding what Im praying for a WP version line of a droid tyip phone with side sliding keyboard, a good high end model like the droid 4 (and htc 7 pro).

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
The mobile phone market is HUGE. Being 3rd or 4th is still plenty of profits. The smartphone market globally is still young, with plenty of users still on feature phones. If WP8 can be a serious consideration for first time phone buyers, i don't see why windows phone wont have a future. Metro UI provides an interesting distinction amongst other platforms. So for people who do not want the typical UI, windows phone is an extremely viable, and capable alternative.

I could throw in the open source webOS Enyo as well. I don't see why there can't be 5 major players in the market. The more platforms there are, the more choices consumers would have. Some people/troll like to bash companies, wanting them to go out of business, to fail. I don't get that at all. Why not just hope that the company will come up with something better? just because they think the platform is best for them doesn't mean that it is the best for everyone. Every platform has their pros and cons, and there is no single platform that will suit everyone's needs. More choices is always good, but i guess some people just want to watch the world burn. :D

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Paul Thurrott has been wrong before. He was wrong about Verizon getting a new Windows Phone. So I wouldn't take what he writes as set in stone.

Personally I really like Windows 7.5 and I'm very happy with my Nokia Lumia 900. If anything I'm confident that Nokia will keep the Lumia 900 and all their other Nokia phones up to date with important features and apps. When I bought my Lumia 900 I thought about waiting for Windows Phone 8 but in the end I felt that I could hold off until the end of 2013, which is when my update is due, to upgrade. By then I should have more phones to pick from instead of jumping on the first Windows Phone 8 available. And frankly the Lumia 900 is awesome and I don't really care about specs. All I care is that my phone works and does what I need it to do, which the Lumia does.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Dead on! These phones are amazing. No need to get depressed. Basically I have no restrictions, ties or limitations as to my choice of phone. I have been on all 4 platforms worth mentioning and I still believe that the Lumia 800 is hands down the best phone I have ever had (outdoing the BB9700). Since I have all the apps I need on all platforms I see no reason but to choose the phone that I like the most. Currently it is the Lumia and I am just enjoying it to the Max! :D

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This:

I'm not sure why you should be depressed. It's best to keep perspective that we're all discussing tech gadgets; these aren't matters of life and death. It definitely falls under hashtag #firstworldproblem. .

and this:

WE dont know anything for certain except that Paul T doesnt really know anything for certain and he's spreading a wide load of ++++ far and wide! I am sticking with Nokia

...pretty much cover it.

and ditto on showing trolls and haters the exit sign.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Rumor mills aside, I personally hope it has a future (whether WP8 or whatever). I find it more advanced than iOS which I've been dabbling with, and far sleeker and attractive as well! And Android, well, just isn't my cup of tea you could say. So certainly I hope I get a good option going forward from Verizon and it continues to evolve as cell phones undoubtedly will.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Paul Thurrott has been wrong before. He was wrong about Verizon getting a new Windows Phone. So I wouldn't take what he writes as set in stone.

He wasn't wrong. Verizon was getting a Lumia 710 variant.. It was called the Phoenix (code name.. I dunno..) and it was supposed to be out at the start of this year. I saw a slide in a roadmap. Can't blame him that they went ahead and canned it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb