Any new phones with slide out keyboards?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...I get the interest, although, with 4.3-4.7" screens I have nearly zero difficulty using an onscreen keyboard, and I turn on the vibrate or click options so I get some kind of feedback....

I was a long time Palm user, and always thought a physical keyboard was a must. Like you said, with a 4.3-4.7" screen an onscreen keyboard isn't a problem.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The market for slider phones is much less than that of the slate phones. Since WP is a pathetically small market at the moment to start making niche market phones in such a market does not seem economically sound. Maybe if WP shares start overtaking BB they may think about it. The other thing I would be curious about is if there is any support in the OS for such a device.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know anything about Microsoft roommerd phones? Maybe one of them could have one.

I haven't seen or heard of anything substantial to make me believe MS would come out with their own phone again they seem for phones to be taking the tact of working closely with them. The reason why the surface came ou was because the old OEM tablet attempts were all terrible and lackluster and no one seemed to really care about them. If MS left it to them again they would likely screw this up and W8 is way to important to the future of MS.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I really haven't seen or used too many Microsoft computers that were of any substation quality. Where I work bought a lot of the MPC workstations and after about 1 year had to replace nearly all of them due to power or HD issues. There were some laptops that had similar issues. I'm hoping that since the new tablets really don't have any moving parts, they won't fall prey to the same issues.

Time will tell. I hope it's well.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE is a horizontal slider that is out there. I can't believe that Nokia will ignore this area of the market.

01-10-2012-10-46-33.jpg

It seems as though the phone manufacturers are ignoring the importance of texting. Read this article:

Why Text Messaging Still Thrives Despite Smartphones, Twitter and WhatsApp | ZDNet

My daughters don't have smart phones for two reasons: too expensive and no keyboard. I don't know which is the more important.

............calfee

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
That phone is orgasmic, I wish I had it.... And if it was running WP8 :(. I just going to keep waiting in hopes one comes along from sammy or nokia.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Should Nokia make a QWERTY Lumia Windows Phone? | NokNok.tv

"However, they are all Symbian smartphones and while other companies have dabbled with a QWERTY Windows Phone Nokia has yet to commit. Even Nokia CEO Stephen Elop in a recent online chat over at Engadget was non-commital.

When asked: Do you have any plan to launch other form factors including, for example, QWERTY? His reply was a little vague, stating ‘As for QWERTY, this is one of the more hotly debated topics. Over the last few years, we have been often the largest producer of QWERTY devices (popular in emerging markets as well as in business), and yet the trend seems to be moving heavily away from this… particularly because of the quality of the text prediction on WP (awesome).’"

Between this, the fact that I'm up for an upgrade at AT&T, and my LG Quantum is now not syncing with Zune, I may give up my crusade and go look at the Hero devices that come to AT&T...

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I wonder just how large is the market for a device with a keyboard. My wife won't give up her LG Quantum unless she can find a new phone with one.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Iv been very tempted the past few days to get a version of the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE, sadly there are no unlocked version or any sign of the milestone 4. I would deff take a android for a few long months untill anuther side slider came to WP8 :(. Its getting to a joke how little windows phone had ignored this ishue. I dont know about you guys but im beeping raging.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
If WP8 proves to be good for business I think we'll see keyboards again. All of my colleagues hate the iPhones IT gave us because of the totally ****ty input method that is the soft keyboard.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I really hate the iphone so much lol, makes me rage in about 2 seconds and I have to put it down.

Three months ago my girlfriend had to give up her blackberry for an iphone (her work phone). She hates it and everyother day she's threatens to throw it against a wall (she hates that it doesn't have a back button).

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I would love to see a OEM do with the window phones what Microsoft is doing with the windows surface tablet.....a cover that is a keyboard. Make the phone kind of a micro tablet.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see a OEM do with the window phones what Microsoft is doing with the windows surface tablet.....a cover that is a keyboard. Make the phone kind of a micro tablet.
That would be awkward to use. Landscape sliders are great as they are, in my opinion. I want a Tilt III!!!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Three months ago my girlfriend had to give up her blackberry for an iphone (her work phone). She hates it and everyother day she's threatens to throw it against a wall (she hates that it doesn't have a back button).

That right there is the reason I can't go to an iPhone. We have an iPod and it frustrates me to no end that there is no back button.

Why Apple insists on the 'simplicity' of the one button interface is beyond me....

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Back buttons on iOS devices are app related and not physical. Yes, it's an inconvenience at times for some apps, but virtual back buttons do exsist for iOS apps and dedicated functions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion